Other Post 4x4 ???

I don't know about the diff lock, but have you seen this thing yet?

2017 is when they put in the DPF in the cruisers plus it a bit steep in price. But yep you are on the right track I reckon. It'll be a cruiser or late model Hilux with the prescribed drill used surgically on the DPF.

Good man, if you can hold off till 2023 , rumors say a V6 Hilux is on the horizon as they try to merge the Hilux and Tacoma into one platform.

That would be a work horse. It would be a balancing act between off road nimble and the big US truck segment of the market. You can only have so much truck on a hill. Hope they keep the off road ability.

Last edited:
That would be a work horse. It would be a balancing act between off road nimble and the big US truck segment of the market. You can only have so much truck on a hill. Hope they keep the off road ability.
My biggest fear is it would make the Hilux a lot less hard duty and more of what the Tacoma is, with a fiberglass tub and C frame chassis

The Hilux has grown half a tonne. I reckon that's to vacillate to the US buyer. We were happy with our adequate size.

The Hilux has grown half a tonne. I reckon that's to vacillate to the US buyer. We were happy with our adequate size.
Mainly due to how it i use in teh rest of the world as a farm truck. Not all markets get the LC70 series for their agricultural/utility needs.

I always liked the look of the late model Isuzu Dmax, but not sure they come in anything other than a double cab.

I believe they do, but thats towards the low end of the DMAX segment... working line?

Took the Hilux for a 450km weekend get away over the weekend, just to breath away from the quarantine of Manila. This is the cars first serious drive (bought it in december an until the long drive only had about 1000Km total). The drive was both expressway and highway roads and the vehicle was sure footed and fast enough. Average speed was 120/140 KM/H with bursts of 160-170 on parts of the expressway with no cops or speed cameras. The areas where i slowed down a bit to 80-100KM/H was the winding mountain roads, it's a pick up and the fact that there was nothing on the bed, means I dont have optimal traction.

So Im happy with the truck. Saw the Lahar flow and the beach, was tempted to try the 4x4 there but had no tools to dig my way out.

With Australia purchasing a new fleet of military off-road vehicles, shouldn't Oceania be rife with second-hand four-by-fours?

Asthmatic 110 and 130 Land Rovers. They've mostly been snapped up by enthusiasts from what I've seen. Dual Cab utes are one of our most popular vehicle segments, so Army releasing the old Defenders into the wild is like a drop in the ocean.

D-Max do a single cab 4x4, it's the low end SX model. There might be some deals coming soon, with the all new D-Max model supposed to be coming out about now.

I've been noticing a good following on the DMAX in australia (basiclly from the overlanding and 4x4 videos in youtube I've watched, as that had been my job for the past months). The engines of those are solid, have they upgraded the ride and comfort? most complaints here are from the sound of the engine due to its Chain drive.

Friend of mine owns a quarry site, so we decided to pay him a visit and get to check out the capabilities of our designated rigs before any modification. Lesson learned, in stock form, they arent submarines.
108419394_708903603265871_8428729939818782930_n.jpg

108641238_596769797644254_3877059947159678481_n.jpg

107486758_753476292065263_4131615778859605157_n.jpg

107712354_1407135046149577_439891984398680046_n.jpg

That hole looks a bit steep, so I guess you'd still get stuck there with a snorkel?!

We did everything right and the vehicles are very capable in stock form, those arent just normal sand thats Lahar, so very powdery. It was fun going up and down pushing the vehicles. it tackled everything fine in stock form and the rear diff locks are a beast. We went through 3 river crossing and no problem (it was a dry river bed).

When we went down on that area, it was the river bed, so muddy and the cars started sinking so we decided to cross that small puddle on the other end. We broke one rule of crossing any water in a 4x4, ALWAYS CHECK HOW DEEP IT IS. When the FJ tried to cross it it almost swallowed it up. When I checked it, in less than a meter the water goes from 1 inch to half my waist. Found out later that the quarry dug there the night before. :D

Last edited:
Been doing some more research.
Reckon to avoid the DPF the best deal is a 2014ish Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger. Actually the Mazda is the better price. Both had at least rear diff lock. At that same point in time the Hilux was all LSD here. as it puddled the depths of the urban/off-road world.
New models have rear diff lock and still have front traction control which is a fair minded idea instead of the entire traction control system to all wheels is switched off when diff lock is switched on and relying on the good will of the terrain to always keep in contact with the front wheels.

Arent there ways to get around the DPF?

Ah Junglejim! I think it is time to admit that the snorkel accessory would be very nice to add on to that FJ!

Arent there ways to get around the DPF?

There are but its for business/ big fine... which brings the risk that inevitably as more delete it they will introduce inspections . Its predictable in the euro world.

Back