Other Post Preppers - Bug In Or Bug Out?

BrassMonkey

Mi Corporal
MI.Net Member
Recently read some stuff about 'Preppers' these are people who are preparing for the failure of civilisation and stock up on arms, ammo, food and generally plan for what they believe will soon come.

Although it is easy to think they are all loons the first questions I ask myself are:
Will it happen?
Are they nuts?
What harm are they doing anyway?
Should I heed the call?
Should I immediately start survival training?

I live in the UK so obtaining firearms is difficult, its great for keeping the guns away from our terribly thick criminal fraternity but should anarchy prevail I would have to rely on the good ole Bow and arrow and knives etc.

Stocking up with food, easy to do but I suppose I would have to rotate my groceries on a regular basis.

Now as for planning (as the title says) do I bug out or bug in?

I am led to believe that bugging out would be moving as far away from civilisation as possible and bugging in would be staying put, again I believe that the latter would rely on all others bugging out rendering my hometown a safer place to be. (less people to worry about)

Listen I am not in any way belittling 'Preppers' just wondering if it will make any difference at all being one.

Wow! so many questions already, lets hear your thoughts on the matter before I commit myself to further ramblings on the subject

My brother lives in Las Vegas and he is a 'Prepper' he has all kinds of conspiracy theories and has a gun, stock pile of food and a truck to get away in. I dont think he takes it 100% seriously but is committed.

Here is a link to a 'Preppers' webiste http://www.prepperwebsite.com/

The next link gives advice about " Making the last run before the S**t hits the fan (SHTF)
https://survivalblog.com/making-a-last-run-when-the-shtf-part-4-by-gmj/

An interesting subject @BrassMonkey I will look at it some more soon

Well, I can speak for myself: if SHTF, I´d climb on the roof of my house with a bucket of beer, open a first one, light a cigar and enjoy the view :cool:

On a more serious note, I understand the Americans. Look what happened after Katrina. I don´t remember seeing post-WW2 photographs displaying this kind of inhumane behavior.

So @saiga your would consider yourself a 'Bugger inner' :D

So EMP attack and the lack of an electrical grid will cause us to "return to the stone age"?

Still watching....fascinating mind set

Cant help thinking that if we believe it will happen to this level (the video) then at some point it probably will

You have seen nothing yet ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Now... with bunkers!

Some woman at the beginning of the video says "I look forward to when mother nature takes back what is hers" What a nut job :confused:

Just paused the video while I write a thought down.

It seems to me that what will happen if the SHTF is a case of them and us, The preppers and the non preppers. I think we will find should the SHTF that there will be many more non preppers than preppers and the non prepppers will become organised and assist each other. If that was the case you can prep all you like, the non preppers will win in the end.

Weakest point of the bunker system is the air inlet

Continuing with video.....

Watched some of the video. There is a guy who is worried about Tsunami and has built his bunker 300 miles inland on high ground. If he thinks that is a safe place then so will the tens of thousands of other people in the area he lives, does he think he will be making his way there alone?. I dont think that these people have really thought out their plans properly. Committing yourself to a static location underground is not the answer.

First law of any prepper should be "if you prep don´t brag about it, keep it to yourself". People watch this show! They know where you are!

First law of any prepper should be "if you prep don´t brag about it, keep it to yourself". People watch this show! They know where you are!

Very true mate

Any survival technique will require movement & diversity, to stay in one place is futile

I´ve been thinking - (oh, I know, congratulations, right? :D ) - and I´m aware that this may be only my imagination - but what if it´s only a hobby. You know, like collecting stamps. Oh my god, I said it.

Of course it is always good to have some water and food stored, cash, something for self-defense too, basic camping equipment like a light source, first-aid kit, cords etc. Natural catastrophes happen all the time and neighbors can go full retard. All in all, as I said to the mother of one of my prepper friends, if it´s not alcohol or drugs, it´s alright :cool:

Last edited:
I suppose we are all preppers to some degree, my wife makes sure we have a first aid kit, candles and always ahead in terms of food shopping but these guys have taken it to an all time high. There philosophy appears to be that if something happens then everybody around them will become a threat.

I am not convinced that the human race will be willing to act they way these preppers suggest and if things get as bad as they suggest then I suppose I will be their enemy. Life is too short to be worrying about stuff like this, people exist in harmony in areas of the world where they have almost nothing and although they have some conflict they dont just run in to each others houses and take what they want, whenever they want.

These preppers want to take the current luxuries into the "New World", they are trying to create the comforts they have now in a world where they would mean nothing to the enemies they suggest they will have.

Not saying I am right about this stuff just finding it hard to understand, at the moment I am seeing more wrong with it than right.

Last edited:
I suppose we are all preppers to some degree, my wife makes sure we have a first aid kit, candles and always ahead in terms of food shopping but these guys have taken it to an all time high. There philosophy appears to be that if something happens then everybody around them will become a threat.

I am not convinced that the human race will be willing to act they way these preppers suggest and if things get as bad as they suggest then I suppose I will be their enemy. Life is too short to be worrying about stuff like this, people exist in harmony in areas of the world where they have almost nothing and although they have some conflict they dont just run in to each others houses and take what they want, whenever they want.

These preppers want to take the current luxuries into the "New World", they are trying to create the comforts they have now in a world where they would mean nothing to the enemies they suggest they will have.

Not saying I am right about this stuff just finding it hard to understand, at the moment I am seeing more wrong with it than right.

Well said. On the other hand, Katrina was a post-apocalyptic experience for all the people involved. I´ve read testimonies from several LEOs and it was a rude awakening. Then again, so is Mardi Gras each year :) Then there are snow storms in North-East or bush fires in California and you see pictures of people helping each other.

Then again, so is Mardi Gras each year :) Then there are snow storms in North-East or bush fires in California and you see pictures of people helping each other.

Indeed!, and this is how I hope the majority of people will behave, if they dont then we are truly doomed

Here is a very well written page that discusses why we should not consider "Bugging Out"

Now, I know what some people are thinking “…but what about SHTF?….when the SHTF hits…when the looters come…when the pandemic hits…when the mutant biker gangs take over…..blah blah blah”

STOP.

You’re arguing a situation that has a 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of ever actually happening. Yes, there is a chance that someday we may face one of the Hollywood disasters, but why is THAT what you’re so worried about right now? Do you have contingency plans for all the natural disasters that could hit your area? What would you do if you lost your job right now? How much food and water do you have stockpiled? What are you planning on doing about hyper-inflation? Heck, do you even have jumper cables in your car?!

You see, these (and many others) are REAL disasters that you WILL face in the coming days. So, with that being said, maybe instead of arguing with someone on Facebook about “the best way to set up firing teams”, … make a real bug out plan, practice it, document it, prepare for it… and most importantly, try to keep some perspective and reality in your preps and your plans. The rest of the world already thinks we’re nut-jobs; we don’t need to prove them right.

Read More....
http://ready4itall.org/the-top-4-reasons-why-youre-not-going-to-survive-bugging-out-to-the-woods/

If you’ve got a family, and for whatever bonehead reason you’ve drug them out into the middle of the woods to bug out after the S has hit the fan, you’re going to have some real problems. Are you going to be teaching little 4 year-old Jimmy advanced military evasion and survival techniques? How are you going to make sure little 2 year old Sally is going to stay silent for the next couple weeks to avoid the hundreds of confused, hungry, angry and hostile people out there?

I don´t know? But I´ve seen a 6-year-old beat the S**t out of an adult krav maga style.

The roads leading to the rural and wooded areas are going to be come congested, and probably impassable.
The roads leading to the rural and wooded areas are going to be a prime spot for anyone that’s thinking about taking supplies from others by force.
There will be intense competition for the limited amount of resources in these areas, likely causing more violence there than in the cities everyone is fleeing from in the first place.
Local land owners will very likely be shooting trespassers on sight.

So let the Hunger Games begin!
All of a sudden, having beer on the roof doesn´t seem like such a bad idea.

Back