Henry Lawton

DMZ-LT

Mi Lance corporal
MI.Net Member
My great Grandfather , Henry Lawton , was born May 10th , 1838 at Staffordshire , England. He came to the US when he was about 10. He became a potter in Trenton NJ. The potters in Trenton formed a company and joined the Union Army as Co B 4th New Jersey Infantry in 1861. He fought at Manassas , Antietam , Fredericksburg, Wilderness , Spotsylvania , Cold Harbor and Petersburg. He was present at Appomattox. He brought a sword home from the war and I am holding that sword until I give it to my grandson in about 20 years.

Awesome DMZ-LT. I wished I new that much about my ancestors. I can imagine how proud your grandson will be when you give it to him. I know it would be awesome if something like that was handed down to me. Thank you for sharing that with everybody here.

My grandfather gave me his fathers scrap book because I have always loved the history of the Civil War. Great Grand Dad was into reunions after the war too. He applied for a pension and had to list all that personal stuff. I was also able to get the history of the 4th New Jersey Infantry. It's neat holding that sword and knowing he held it once too.

Sorry Drone I don't know how to do that :( :shock: :(

Hi,

Henry Lawton was my ggg grandfather. My mother often told me how proud she was of him and his brother, Joe, both of whom served in the Union Army. There was an article about the brothers in the Trenton Times. I did get a copy of it through the Trenton Historical Society. It was my understanding that both Henry and Joe also fought at Gettysburg. I have Virginia ancestors who very probably were in Pickett's charge.

It's nice to keep in touch with family.

Back