Intro Hello from Kate Wills - concert party researcher

Kate W

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Hello everyone,

Thanks for letting me join.

My grandfather Fred Lines served in WW1 with the 7th Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, after enlisting in Wolverton on 2nd September 1914. He served briefly around Fricourt on the Somme sector, but in autumn 1915 his division (26th) was shipped out to Salonika, where he spent the rest of the war, transferring to 660 (MT) Coy ASC in 1917. I have followed his footsteps on several battlefield trips to Macedonia. I have also explored the WW1 battlefronts of Gallipoli, Italy and the the Western Front.

My main focus of Great War research is WW1 army concert parties, and I am accumulating information on the parties, and individual performers. I welcome any information members have on WW1 concerts, and I will attempt to answer concert party questions.

I arrived here following a post by Bombardier on the GWF concerning a concert party photo of a member of the Gamecocks. Try as I might, I cannot locate it via the Search engine. Can anyone help please?black;

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Concert Parties, playbill search

Hello everyone,

Thanks for letting me join.

My grandfather Fred Lines served in WW1 with the 7th Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, after enlisting in Wolverton on 2nd September 1914. He served briefly around Fricourt on the Somme sector, but in autumn 1915 his division (26th) was shipped out to Salonika, where he spent the rest of the war, transferring to 660 (MT) Coy ASC in 1917. I have followed his footsteps on several battlefield trips to Macedonia. I have also explored the WW1 battlefronts of Gallipoli, Italy and the the Western Front.

My main focus of Great War research is WW1 army concert parties, and I am accumulating information on the parties, and individual performers. I welcome any information members have on WW1 concerts, and I will attempt to answer concert party questions.

I arrived here following a post by Bombardier on the GWF concerning a concert party photo of a member of the Gamecocks. Try as I might, I cannot locate it via the Search engine. Can anyone help please?black;

Hello,
I am trying to locate a soldier called Hurst Needham , he was a bass baritone singer and was involved in the concert party scene in the first wok war. Would you know where I could find any playbills from the 1915-17 era please?
thanks

hello every one, thanks for letting me join. Hi Kate, l read with interest your post on brit gen .net, regarding my gt uncle Gunner Jones, AKA Bert Bray a variety music hall entertainer. (BIDSTON is my cousin) you mentioned in your post that you have more details if interested,i would appreciate it very much if you provide me with it. l went to the variety artists memorial in Streatham Park Cemetery recently, his stage name is on it. do you have his army number , and regiment ? l remember seeing a photo of him dressed as a" pierrot" how do you spell that word?

Welcome ourkid and thanks for joining us :)

Hello Kate
Wondering if you received my private message re Lena Ashwell Concerts at the Front poster? Would love to hear from you
Regards
Fiona