Other Post Dual cannon tank

Raven Gold

Mi Corporal
MI.Net Member
This is something you see in a lot of games and sometimes movies. But has there ever been an actual tank with two cannons mounted side by side on the same turret?

Im not sure what use two guns in the same turret would be?

More firepower or double the rate of fire probably. But I'm just asking since this is something thats allways bothered me.

Turret would be mighty crowded. Plus recoil would be a b*tch. Looks cool but that's about it.

Good Point Advisor, it would be very dangerous to fire both cannons at the same time, would probably rip the turret off its mounting. (Y)

In pre- WWII, the Polish military developed a Twin turreted tank. It had two turrets side-by-side, each mounting a Vickers water cooled machine gun. I have actually built a model of one in 1/72 scale. As to twin cannons on the same turret, the German Army had an anti-aircraft 20mm tracked vehicle, as well as a Four barreled turret mounted model, but I don't know if you could classify them as tanks, although they were used against infantry and light armored vehicles quite effectively.

Oh, I also heard of some or other american experimental tank in WW2 that had the features I'm trying to describe. Any one know about this?

@GunBunny. Yeah, Wirblewind/Ostwind Flakpanzers, but those aren't really what I'm looking for.

GDIMammothTankMark2.jpg

As for enginering issues.
Well obviously your eithing going to have sacrefice some mobility or armour to mount a second main cannon on your tank. For one your turret is going to have be bigger to house the second gun, you don't really need a human loader, auto loaders are faster and take up less space so that solves that problem. The larger turret is going to be heavier, so speed is going to compromised, or if that isn't an option, take off some armour.

Stronger recoil can be conpensated by stronger engineering. But over all it's going to be more expensive than a regular tank, anyway you look at it.

Pros: Double firepower, literaly, in one of 2 manners. Fire both at the same time and you get double the punch, or fire them in rythm with eachother and you get twice the rate of fire, more targets down in half the time. Plus you get most of the advantages of two tanks, within the volume of one (shipping space), and less cost than two.

Last edited by a moderator:
One cannon could fire anti-personnel ammunition, while the other fires anti-armor. That way you could theoretically " Kill all the Birds" with 2 stones. Helluva' way to confirm a kill, eh?

DAMN!! I almost forgot... The British CHURCHILL Mk1 had two forward cannons. One mounted on the turret, and the other mounted alongside the driver. They found the lower cannon to be less than effective, especially when encountering infantry, so the gun was removed and replaced with a machine gun.

There are a number of tanks with dual guns in a single turret -apart from the obvious small Afvs such as Panzer 1 - 2 x mg13 and Vickers mk6 light tanks with twin mgs. The British attempted to develop a dual 2pdr and 3inch + 7.92 Besa for the experimental TOG tank -its shape and size tend toward it being that used in a modified form for the 6pdr armed Churchill Mk3.

The Germans actually took a dual armed tank to battle in the shape of the Neubaufahrzeug built as two versions Rheinmetall and Krupp, the Rheinmetall version had a 3.7cm gun above the 7.5cm gun whereas the the Krupp had them side by side -the Krupp one won the contest and 3 were built and taken to Norway in 1940 where one was destroyed. The purpose of these vehicles was to allow a HE and A/T gun in one package.

The US built the huge M6, T1 heavy tank that mounted a 76mm M5 gun (as fitted to the M10 tank destroyer) and the 37mm gum M5 (as fitted to M3 Stuarts). The tank was not a success and was retained for trials only.

A Commercial Marmon Herrington Light tank MTLS IG14 built for the dutch for use in Java had 2 x co-axial 37mm cannon + 2 x independant ball mounted mgs either side of the turret. The 37mm cannon were similar to that fitted to the P39Q Airacobra fighter, but manual in operation. Some of these tanks along with the CTMS ITB1 (which had a sensible single 37mm gun) were supplied to South American states under Lease Lend. Some were recovered and returned to USA in the 1990s.

The soviets had a few experimental tanks including a dual gun KV SPG.

Post war a Leopard was built with 2 x 105mm L/7 cannon as an experimental turretless SPG.

Hope that answers the question

P.S the Churchill mk1 with 3inch gun in the hull was built at the same time as the Mk2 which had the 3inch replaced with a Besa MG -it was a lack of 3inch howitzers that caused the majority of original series of Churchills to be completed as Mk2s , not any dissatisfaction with the Mk1 design- well they weren't dissatisfied with the armament the whole tank was rubbish

S.

It must be great to have an encyclopedia for a brai... oh wait, THIS IS A COMPUTER THAT I'M BANGING AWAY ON... and there is this thing called the internet... WOW, FAR OUT, DUDE!!!

footin;

In pre- WWII, the Polish military developed a Twin turreted tank. It had two turrets side-by-side, each mounting a Vickers water cooled machine gun. I have actually built a model of one in 1/72 scale. As to twin cannons on the same turret, the German Army had an anti-aircraft 20mm tracked vehicle, as well as a Four barreled turret mounted model, but I don't know if you could classify them as tanks, although they were used against infantry and light armored vehicles quite effectively.
I think what we're talking about is a tank with two MAIN GUNS in one turret. The only examples I've ever heard of were MAUS and the slightly smaller E-100, that would have had a 128mm main with a 75mm "coax" for the smaller jobs... and the wettest of Hitler's wet dreams, what would have been a ship on tracks. This thing was going to have two NAVAL GUNS in a turret from a cruiser, plus assorted 75's and flaks here and there, and would have been like 50 feet tall.

MAUS-Panzerkampfwagen_VIII_V2.jpg

Munster_Maus_Modell_(dark1)_with_figure.jpg

E-100 sml.jpg

Hitler's Wet Dream 1280-960.jpg

Lucky for the whole world, none of the huge ones made it off paper, and Maus and E-100 only had a couple of hulls each.

Attachments

• maus_1.jpg
    maus_1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 299