Photos Cyprus 1974

Varosi (or Varosha), is literally part of Famagusta.

The point being, a European Union country has been occupied by Turkish troops for almost a half a century. Time to let it go.
Well by using that "argument" then Northern Ireland should just be handed back to the Republic of Ireland!!

Well by using that "argument" then Northern Ireland should just be handed back to the Republic of Ireland!!
Not exactly the same. The people of Northern Ireland voted to partition and stay with the UK. And the Republic of Ireland has never expressed an interest in unifying with Northern Ireland. Also, the people of Northern Ireland weren't killed, raped and driven from their homes.

Not exactly the same. The people of Northern Ireland voted to partition and stay with the UK. And the Republic of Ireland has never expressed an interest in unifying with Northern Ireland. Also, the people of Northern Ireland weren't killed, raped and driven from their homes.
Take off your glasses now. Turkey, as a guarantor country, carried out an operation due to the Turkish massacre in the region. In addition, as my friend stated in the previous message, those who did not accept the Anan plan in 2004 are the Greek side. No one is war enthusiast.

Take off your glasses now. Turkey, as a guarantor country, carried out an operation due to the Turkish massacre in the region. In addition, as my friend stated in the previous message, those who did not accept the Anan plan in 2004 are the Greek side. No one is war enthusiast.
The Anan plan was a one sided disaster, which kept Turkish troops in Cyprus, would have been financed completely by the Greek Cypriot side and was basically Erdo's wet dream. Perhaps you need to put on your glasses.

Recently, someone shared a story with me. A woman, who was a girl when she became a refugee in 1974 was allowed to go and see her old house on what is now the Turkish occupied side of Cyprus. She knocked on the door and a Turkish lady answered. She asked if would be alright if she came in to see her old house. The Turkish lady, who had come from Turkey, said fine, but it's my house now. She went in, they had a cup of coffee and chatted and saw that her parents' wedding picture was still hanging on the same wall, where it had been for at least a half century. She asked the new Turkish inhabitant if she could have it, (not the Greek-Cypriot woman's property anymore), and she agreed and gave it to her.

I doubt that ever happened in Northern Ireland.

Time for Turkey to bring it's troops home. No one wants them there anymore.

Last edited:
Actually, your response shows how little you know with regards the Irish situation, there are some very common similarities, two ethnic groups, two religions, politics, and old animosities with a strong historical connection.

there was a negotiated settlement between the Waring parties during the War of Independence, General Michael Collins of the (Old) Irish Republican Army (not to be confused with the modern terrorist organisation using the same name) traveled to London to have talks with the British.

Source - Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_War_of_Independence

The conflict in north-east Ulster had a sectarian aspect. While the Catholic minority there mostly backed Irish independence, the Protestant majority were mostly unionist/loyalist. A mainly-Protestant special constabulary was formed, and loyalist paramilitaries were active. They attacked Catholics in reprisal for IRA actions, and in Belfast a sectarian conflict raged in which almost 500 were killed, most of them Catholics.[12] In May 1921, Ireland was partitioned under British law by the Government of Ireland Act, which created Northern Ireland.

(Attacks were frequently aimed at the Catholic civil population and homes were burnt.) My input.
The 1921 Anglo-Irish Treaty (Irish: An Conradh Angla-Éireannach), commonly known as The Treaty and officially the Articles of Agreement for a Treaty Between Great Britain and Ireland, was an agreement between the government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and representatives of the Irish Republic that concluded the Irish War of Independence.[2]

It provided for the establishment of the Irish Free State within a year as a self-governing dominion within the "community of nations known as the British Empire", a status "the same as that of the Dominion of Canada". It also provided Northern Ireland, which had been created by the Government of Ireland Act 1920, an option to opt out of the Irish Free State, which it exercised.

The agreement was signed in London on 6 December 1921, by representatives of the British government (which included Prime Minister David Lloyd George, who was head of the British delegates) and by representatives of the Irish Republic including Michael Collins and Arthur Griffith.

The Irish representatives had plenipotentiary status (negotiators empowered to sign a treaty without reference back to their superiors) acting on behalf of the Irish Republic, though the British government declined to recognise that status. As required by its terms, the agreement was approved by "a meeting" of the members elected to sit in the House of Commons of Southern Ireland and [separately] by the British Parliament. In reality, Dáil Éireann (the legislative assembly for the de facto Irish Republic) first debated then approved the treaty; members then went ahead with the "meeting". Though the treaty was narrowly approved, the split led to the Irish Civil War, which was won by the pro-treaty side.

The Irish Free State as contemplated by the treaty came into existence when its constitution became law on 6 December 1922 by a royal proclamation."

The Anan plan was a one sided disaster, which kept Turkish troops in Cyprus, would have been financed completely by the Greek Cypriot side and was basically Erdo's wet dream. Perhaps you need to put on your glasses.

Recently, someone shared a story with me. A woman, who was a girl when she became a refugee in 1974 was allowed to go and see her old house on what is now the Turkish occupied side of Cyprus. She knocked on the door and a Turkish lady answered. She asked if would be alright if she came in to see her old house. The Turkish lady, who had come from Turkey, said fine, but it's my house now. She went in, they had a cup of coffee and chatted and saw that her parents' wedding picture was still hanging on the same wall, where it had been for at least a half century. She asked the new Turkish inhabitant if she could have it, (not the Greek-Cypriot woman's property anymore), and she agreed and gave it to her.

I doubt that ever happened in Northern Ireland.

Time for Turkey to bring it's troops home. No one wants them there anymore.
1. "Shared a story . . " so possibly not true?

2. - Northern Ireland - who knows, it could have happened and never been reported, but, its irrelevant to the politics of the situations.

3. - "No one wants them there anymore" - Wishful thinking on your behalf, obviously the Turkish people want them to remain

1. "Shared a story . . " so possibly not true?

2. - Northern Ireland - who knows, it could have happened and never been reported, but, its irrelevant to the politics of the situations.

3. - "No one wants them there anymore" - Wishful thinking on your behalf, obviously the Turkish people want them to remain
Still not the same.

The Greek refugee who went back to see her house, is a friend of a relative, so a first hand account and just happened several months ago. If Northern Ireland wants to be free of the UK, then let them. However, I see no linkage between that and Turkey removing it's occupying troops from an EU country and allowing it to be free..

The rest, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
No, of course you dont, as with Northern Ireland two communities divided by religion and politics.
You have your opinion and agenda, meanwhile, the Turks have theirs, and the world turns ever onward.

No, of course you dont, as with Northern Ireland two communities divided by religion and politics.
You have your opinion and agenda, meanwhile, the Turks have theirs, and the world turns ever onward.

Which Turks? The Cypriot Turks? Or the Turks from Turkey.

There is a difference, you know.

Mmmm . . . . . would that be the same "difference" (if any) as between the Nationalist Catholic population of Northern Ireland and the Nationalist Catholic population of Southern Ireland?? not a smart Alec question by the way, trying to figure out what quality would make them different, I mean they both share a ethnicity, a religion, and very possibly the same political mindset, Do they have perhaps some distinction that would make mainland Turks look upon them as poor cousins??

Mmmm . . . . . would that be the same "difference" (if any) as between the Nationalist Catholic population of Northern Ireland and the Nationalist Catholic population of Southern Ireland?? not a smart Alec question by the way, trying to figure out what quality would make them different, I mean they both share a ethnicity, a religion, and very possibly the same political mindset, Do they have perhaps some distinction that would make mainland Turks look upon them as poor cousins??
Cypriot Turks are Cypriots. Cypriot Greeks are Cypriots. Cypriot Turks are not a monolithic entity with Turkish Turks. Anyone who says otherwise, just doesn't understand the situation. Before the FORCED partition in 1974, many Cypriot Turks only spoke Greek.

Why do you think Erdogan and those before him, thought it was so important to populate those empty Greek Cypriot towns and homes with 160,000 people from Turkey?

Leave Cyprus for the Cypriots. There is no need for a Turkish army of occupation. Not for the Cypriots, (Greek and Turkish), anyway.

It is helpful to watch this video. Especially after 20:20' minutes. It is an objective news for the Turkish side. I repeat myself constantly, it is an operation against the EOKA terror that has been taking place in the region since April 1, 1955. As long as there is a Turkish population living in the region in the summer as long as you want, the Turkish army will show its presence there. There is no guarantee that the same terrorist acts will not happen.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is helpful to watch this video. Especially after 20:20' minutes. It is an objective news for the Turkish side. I repeat myself constantly, it is an operation against the EOKA terror that has been taking place in the region since April 1, 1955. As long as there is a Turkish population living in the region in the summer as long as you want, the Turkish army will show its presence there. There is no guarantee that the same terrorist acts will not happen.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
EOKA??????

You're kidding me, right? EOKA has been gone for 60 years. EOKA fought for independence from Britain.

Atrocities happened on both sides after independence. It certainly wasn't one sided.

The only reason for a Turkish army occupying force in Cyprus, is for Turkey to exercise control over Cyprus, something they have lusted for since they lost the island to the British.

This referring back to possible "terrorist acts", which happened on BOTH SIDES over half a century ago, is a pretty weak excuse. The Cypriots, both Turks and Greeks can take care of themselves, without a foreign army of occupation.

EOKA??????

You're kidding me, right? EOKA has been gone for 60 years. EOKA fought for independence from Britain.

Atrocities happened on both sides after independence. It certainly wasn't one sided.

The only reason for a Turkish army occupying force in Cyprus, is for Turkey to exercise control over Cyprus, something they have lusted for since they lost the island to the British.

This referring back to possible "terrorist acts", which happened on BOTH SIDES over half a century ago, is a pretty weak excuse. The Cypriots, both Turks and Greeks can take care of themselves, without a foreign army of occupation.
Are you talking about the Greek section that did not want to live with the ENONİS movement that started in the 1930s? Of course, I know the purpose of the establishment of EOKA, but you also know that they started attacking Turkish villages since January 1958. Because the Turks were against the ENONIS movement.

Are you talking about the Greek section that did not want to live with the ENONİS movement that started in the 1930s? Of course, I know the purpose of the establishment of EOKA, but you also know that they started attacking Turkish villages since January 1958. Because the Turks were against the ENONIS movement.
So what is happening/happened now, is Enosis, ("union" in English) with northern Cyprus and Turkey. Yes, Turkey would like to take the whole place if it could. That's the only reason it keeps an army of occupation there.

E9AB2AB4-1FCB-45EE-B2D7-B2D819B97B43.jpeg
65325903-B160-4E52-9348-3232560737C7.jpeg
16629E1E-CAE5-4FA8-AFB6-9D82FFFA52C4.jpeg
1D740921-5AE0-4F6E-9181-E0C90CFCDE2C.jpeg
I was at the 1974 landing beach yesterday. I fine collection of AFVs and an excellent memorial.

Attachments

• 1EA7AF71-AB22-498D-A7A9-A437C3843652.jpeg
    1EA7AF71-AB22-498D-A7A9-A437C3843652.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 88
how many Turk in Cyprus before 1974 % of Greek in Cyprus?

Hmmm. Interesting insights, and certainly a lot of passion, but I come here for the history and the photographs. as such, I personally get no entertainment from the back-and-forth squabbling. Good luck to you all.
RL

how many Turk in Cyprus before 1974 % of Greek in Cyprus?
It was roughly 80% Greek and 20% Turkish. Although the population of the Northern Republic of Cyprus, (which is not recognized by any country besides Turkey), is a little foggy, there are at least as many Turks who have been brought in by Turkey to colonize as there are Turkish Cypriots.

Incidentally, 20,000 Greek Cypriots who survived the invasion and still had homes, were forced by Turkey to abandon them after the war. Turkish Cypriots who refused to leave the Greek side and move to to the north as Turkey ordered, are living peacefully with their Greek neighbors for all of these years. No Greeks are allowed to live on the Turkish side.

Hmmm. Interesting insights, and certainly a lot of passion, but I come here for the history and the photographs. as such, I personally get no entertainment from the back-and-forth squabbling. Good luck to you all.
RL
You're getting your share of history here, brother! LOL!

Back