Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
Here is one of mine by the 'Hairy Bikers' UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braised_steak_with_gravy_24508

braised_steak_with_gravy_24508_16x9.jpg

Ingredients
  • 4 braising steaks (about 200g/7oz each)
  • 3 tbsp sunflower oil (any oil actually)
  • 1 medium onion, halved and cut into 12 wedges
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 500ml/18fl oz beef stock made with 1 beef stock cube, or 500ml/18fl oz fresh beef stock
  • 1 tbsp tomato purée
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • ½ tsp English mustard powder
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve
  • Homemade chips, (Fries to our Yankee Friends)

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.

2. Trim off any hard fat from the beef and season on both sides with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

3. Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.

4. Fry the steaks, two at a time, over a medium-high heat for a couple of minutes on each side, or until nicely browned, then transfer to a large flameproof casserole dish. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary.

5. Return the pan to the hob and reduce the heat. Add the remaining oil and gently fry the onion for five minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring regularly.

6. Stir in the garlic, cook for one more minute, then transfer the onion and garlic to the casserole dish.

7. Pour over the stock and add the tomato purée, thyme and bay leaf.

8. Bring to the boil, then cover the casserole and transfer carefully to the oven. Cook for 1¼-1½ hours, or until the beef is very tender.

9. Mix the cornflour and mustard powder in a small bowl and stir in a tablespoon of cold water until smooth. Remove the lid from the casserole dish and stir in the cornflour mixture. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

10. Place the casserole over a medium-high heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the gravy reduces and becomes thickened and glossy, stirring regularly.

11. Transfer the steaks to four warmed plates and spoon over the gravy. Serve with chips.

Recipes? Okay, I'll play! Steve's holiday clam dip!

One 8 ounce package of cream cheese
Two 6.5 ounce cans of chopped clams
One 6.5 ounce can of tiny shrimp (I've had North Sea shrimp, and they would work just fine)
Small spoon of lemon juice
A dash of worchestershire sauce - or other steak sauce
Two large spoons of mayonnaise - (1/2 to one cup)
Powdered hot pepper to taste

Melt the cream cheese - one minute on high in the microwave works
Add the mayonnaise, steak sauce, lemon juice and one can of clams including the juice.
Mix thoroughly - I use an immersion blender
Drain the other can of clams and the shrimp before adding to the bowl.
Now mix with a spoon since the blender will tear up the clams & shrimp.
Add pepper to taste. I usually add two spoons of chili powder but was out so I used the same amount of Hungarian paprika. Tasted great! I then added a *little* smoked red ghost pepper until it started to "bite". Go light on this if you have it - it's HOT! :eek:

Into the fridge it goes to set up. Dive in with potato chips (Lays - not frites or French fries... which would actually work) and away you go! :D

No onions! ;) Life is too short to eat onions! :p

Smoked bacon batter ...... For Chicken

Flour
6 bottles of beer - A brand you like tanning
salt
Pepper
Smoked bacon - Cook cool then chop up

If you like add some saffron which will give the batter a yellow colour

1 Open the beer and empty into the bowl
2 Add the flour gradually whilst mixing with a whisk [ Hand / Electric or .. to a consistence you want
3 add the chopped smoked bacon and salt n pepper and saffron if so desired ..

Ready to lock n load ..

Spinach
Smoked sausage 1/2
Sweetcorn 1 small tin
Garlic herb roule cream cheese
1 pkt of sliced chorizo
1/2 red onion thinly sliced
cucumber small piece
red pepper """"" """"""
20180323_012301.jpg

EV olive oil
salt pepper

I love trout especially with a few almonds scattered about the plate :)

That sea trout looks awesome!!

Farmed sea trout flesh is way softer than the real deal . When boning them they are more prone not being the best .As u can see the amount of flesh left on the bones not by me but by someone else . So instead of it being binned i steamed it off in order to use for the exec longe which all the food served n drink is FREE unless ordered by the guess

And in other news ... A Female Vegan .. went for dinner at the newly opened steakhouse in Elderslie .. she later complained of seeing too much meat

Applewood smked cheese and chicken balls

1 kg of minced chicken
3 handfuls of grated smoked cheese
Garlic puree
1 onion diced
sea salt , cracked black pepper

mix well, then make into wee balls ,,,, then double pane in breadcrumbs ...best use rubber disposable gloves when using making this

flour , eggs , breadcrumbs ..... then repeat by back in the egg then breadcrumbs place on a tray with baking paper ... when finished bin the flour etc ,,,serve with garlic mayo or bbq sauce or whatever u like
20180416_185833.jpg
20180416_191503.jpg

deep fry then finish in oven for 15/ 20 mins at 175 degrees ..

I've been cooking since I was 14 years old..that's 50 years for you that are interested. If I'm really hungry I just nuke up a hot dog. But if I get a craving for something ..

1) I get my car keys
2) Go to what ever fast food joint I crave.
3) get there
4) Buy food
5) Chow down!

.....this seldom happens because my lovely wife is a great cook!

Back