1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

Mil Food Your favourite Hungry Boy recipes

Discussion in 'All Non Military Discussion' started by Bombardier, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

Here is one of mine by the 'Hairy Bikers' UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braised_steak_with_gravy_24508

[​IMG]

Ingredients
    • 4 braising steaks (about 200g/7oz each)
    • 3 tbsp sunflower oil (any oil actually)
    • 1 medium onion, halved and cut into 12 wedges
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed
    • 500ml/18fl oz beef stock made with 1 beef stock cube, or 500ml/18fl oz fresh beef stock
    • 1 tbsp tomato purée
    • 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried thyme
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 tsp cornflour
    • ½ tsp English mustard powder
    • salt and freshly ground black pepper
    To serve
    • Homemade chips, (Fries to our Yankee Friends)

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.

2. Trim off any hard fat from the beef and season on both sides with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

3. Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.

4. Fry the steaks, two at a time, over a medium-high heat for a couple of minutes on each side, or until nicely browned, then transfer to a large flameproof casserole dish. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary.

5. Return the pan to the hob and reduce the heat. Add the remaining oil and gently fry the onion for five minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring regularly.

6. Stir in the garlic, cook for one more minute, then transfer the onion and garlic to the casserole dish.

7. Pour over the stock and add the tomato purée, thyme and bay leaf.

8. Bring to the boil, then cover the casserole and transfer carefully to the oven. Cook for 1¼-1½ hours, or until the beef is very tender.

9. Mix the cornflour and mustard powder in a small bowl and stir in a tablespoon of cold water until smooth. Remove the lid from the casserole dish and stir in the cornflour mixture. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

10. Place the casserole over a medium-high heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the gravy reduces and becomes thickened and glossy, stirring regularly.

11. Transfer the steaks to four warmed plates and spoon over the gravy. Serve with chips.

NebrHogger likes this.
  2. Bombardier

Having this tonight for Dinner, IT IS AWESOME!!!!

3. NebrHogger United States

NebrHogger Mi Sergeant MI.Net Member

Recipes? Okay, I'll play! Steve's holiday clam dip!

One 8 ounce package of cream cheese
    Two 6.5 ounce cans of chopped clams
    One 6.5 ounce can of tiny shrimp (I've had North Sea shrimp, and they would work just fine)
    Small spoon of lemon juice
    A dash of worchestershire sauce - or other steak sauce
    Two large spoons of mayonnaise - (1/2 to one cup)
    Powdered hot pepper to taste

Melt the cream cheese - one minute on high in the microwave works
    Add the mayonnaise, steak sauce, lemon juice and one can of clams including the juice.
    Mix thoroughly - I use an immersion blender
    Drain the other can of clams and the shrimp before adding to the bowl.
    Now mix with a spoon since the blender will tear up the clams & shrimp.
    Add pepper to taste. I usually add two spoons of chili powder but was out so I used the same amount of Hungarian paprika. Tasted great! I then added a *little* smoked red ghost pepper until it started to "bite". Go light on this if you have it - it's HOT! :eek:

Into the fridge it goes to set up. Dive in with potato chips (Lays - not frites or French fries... which would actually work) and away you go! :D

No onions! ;) Life is too short to eat onions! :p

Bombardier likes this.
  4. Bombardier

Sounds tasty :)