What is it?

Hi Bombardier, I was beginning to wonder if you were on holiday as I’ve not seen any comments from you in ages.

I agree about it being a 432 as I used to drive one, but without the gun on top, and like you I’ve no idea of why that colour scheme.

Silky

This answer came on the military site that asked the question and was given by a chap calling himself Landrover.

Silky

The AFV 432 in your photo is in Berlin Inf Bde Livery. The Gun Turret is from the Fox Armoured Car which was issued in the late 60'3. From memory it was a 30MM Rarden Cannon, The Fox was a disaster and withdrawn from service early. Some bright spark had the idea of modifying the AFV 432 by using the Gun Turrets off of the defunct Fox. They were issued to Recce Platoons initially. However the size of the retro fit made for cramped conditions inside the AFV, it could no longer "float” and was prone to overturning. As far as I know they were all withdrawn and issued to the Berlin Inf Bde. The Camouflage Pattern was unique and ideally suited to FIBUA, it was subsequently copied by the Russians in Chechnya and other areas. I am sure that you are aware that the ubiquitous AFV 432 has undergone another major revamp, new power train, steering wheel, remote turret etc. It is now called the Bulldog.

Ta
LR

Back