Gaming Wearing of rank badges in Airsoft games

Holmesy7291

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
A bit of a thorny issue in some circles, I was wondering what you guys think about it.

I'm currently starting up an Airsoft Team with some friends, all of whom (apart from myself) have no previous military experience. Unlike a lot of teams who model themselves on real-life military units (Delta Force/SEALs/SAS etc) our team is more of a mis-matched collection of people who just wanna have fun and don't intend to take things too seriously. Stewie's look is WW2 British Infantry, George favours WW2 Russian Army (too much watching of Enemy At The Gates methinks!), Jo's is more mercenary-like, and mine is post-apocalyptic British Army soldier/scavenger. My "outfit" is a mish-mash of military and civilian attire (see my pics on my profile page), and my weapon of choice is an M4 (i've operated the SA-80 and to be honest I hate it). We have no "leader" as such, but as things progress we might think about developing a command structure, one that would be clearly labelled.

Thats where rank badges come in.

I personally favour wearing a Corporal's stripes, as in my characters back-story he WAS a Corporal. However, some would say that unless I have attained that rank by serving in the military, I shouldn't wear it at all. Others would say that it's a bit of fun, so who cares what you wear? I myself have NEVER said that I am a Corporal, nor would I try and convince anyone otherwise, to do so is just simply wrong in my view. I HAVE served in the Terratorial Army (British equivalent of the US National Guard, in case anyones uncertain), but never rose above the rank of Craftsman (Cfn).

Would it be wrong to wear a rank that I havn't attained in any way (tho would never claim to be)? Or would it ok? After all it IS just a game.

Let me know your thoughts on this, i'd be interested to see the response.

Personally, crack on mate sounds like fun.
cant see a problem with wearing rank insignia in those circumstances. (Y)

Mad Max meets General George Patton

"Would it be wrong to wear a rank that I havn't attained in any way (tho would never claim to be)? Or would it ok? After all it IS just a game."

Personally, I say go for broke! In the movies every actor in a war picture, historical or otherwise, wears some sort of rank insignia. Half the time they do it wrong anyways, changing things around because it looks "cooler". Since your team is a fantasy based unit anyways, try some crazy combo stuff,i.e.;
Inverted corporal stripes with a general's star in the middle, or some other such nonsense. Just don't go struttin' around real soldiers with that stuff on or you're liable to get the sh*t kicked outta' ya!

cover;

Just don't go struttin' around real soldiers with that stuff on or you're liable to get the sh*t kicked outta' ya!

Oh I don't intend to, Bunny! I know quite a few people who'd kick my arse if I did...the rest of my team for a start! I NEVER wear full uniform (like my desert boots, trousers and shirt) out on the street, and the only time i'd wear a beret outside of an Airsoft match is on Rememberance Day. As far as I know there's no rule against wearing rank in Airsoft matches, but you know how anal people can be at times!