Camp Eagle vietnam war.jpg
Dong Tam
Dong Tam vietnam war.jpg

Loc Ninh
Loc Ninh vietnam war.jpg
Marble Mountain Army Airfield Danang
Marble Mtn Army Airfield Danang, Vietnam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many Vietnam War photos on Flickr..I'll post a few here.

50th Anniversary of Landing in Vietnam Photos (1) by manhhai, on Flickr

50th Anniversary of Landing in Vietnam Photos (2) by manhhai, on Flickr

50th Anniversary of Landing in Vietnam Photos (5) by manhhai, on Flickr

50th Anniversary of Landing in Vietnam Photos (4) by manhhai, on Flickr

Members of the 9th U.S. Marine Expeditionary Force go ashore at Da Nang, South Vietnam, March 8, 1965, and run to assigned positions. The Marines were ordered into Da Nang to beef up defense of the air base nearby from which air strikes against North Vietnam targets had been launched. The 3,500 Marines dispatched on March 8, 1965, marked the start of the ground war in Vietnam.

50th Anniversary of Landing in Vietnam Photos (6) by manhhai, on Flickr

U.S. Marines take up defensive positions after landing at Da Nang Bay in South Vietnam on March 8, 1965 during the Vietnamese War. The members of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Force were to increase defenses against possible Communist Viet Cong attacks on the Da Nang air base.

Ah, yes! n00bs burning sh***ers. For those not familiar with the plan, 50 gallon drums were cut in half. These were filled 1/3 to 1/2 full of diesel and slid into the toilet. When they were overflowing with... toilet stuff, they were dragged out and ignited. A smelly job no matter how you went about it. :eek:

I say with pride I never had to do that. Besides humping the bush, I stood a lot of bunker watch & filled a s**t load of sandbags but no pooper burning! :D

Marines fighting in Hue City 1968 by manhhai, on Flickr

Hue 1968 by manhhai, on Flickr

Vietnam War - Hue 1968 by manhhai, on Flickr

Vietnam War - Hue 1968 - Civilians with Marines During Battle of Hue - Photo by Kyoichi Sawada by manhhai, on Flickr

Hue 1968 - Photo by Kyoichi Sawada by manhhai, on Flickr

US Marines Standing on Hue Streets - Binh sĩ TQLC Mỹ trên đường phố Huế - Photo by Kyoichi Sawada by manhhai, on Flickr

There is only one ship serving with the US Navy that is named after any battle in the Vietnam War....USS Hue City (CG 66) a Ticonderoga class cruiser. She is homeported in Mayport FL.

I'd be remiss if I did not post the Medal Of Honor Citation for

USMC SGT. Alfredo Cantu Gonzalez

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Marine Corps, Company A, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division (Rein), FMF.
Place and date: Near Thua Thien, Republic of Vietnam, 4 February 1968.
Entered service at: San Antonio, Tex. Born: 23 May 1946, Edinburg Tex. Citation:For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as platoon commander, 3d Platoon, Company A. On 31 January 1968, during the initial phase of Operation Hue City, Sgt. Gonzalez' unit was formed as a reaction force and deployed to Hue to relieve the pressure on the beleaguered city. While moving by truck convoy along Route No. 1, near the village of Lang Van Lrong, the Marines received a heavy volume of enemy fire. Sgt. Gonzalez aggressively maneuvered the Marines in his platoon, and directed their fire until the area was cleared of snipers. Immediately after crossing a river south of Hue, the column was again hit by intense enemy fire. One of the Marines on top of a tank was wounded and fell to the ground in an exposed position. With complete disregard for his safety, Sgt. Gonzalez ran through the fire-swept area to the assistance of his injured comrade. He lifted him up and though receiving fragmentation wounds during the rescue, he carried the wounded Marine to a covered position for treatment. Due to the increased volume and accuracy of enemy fire from a fortified machine gun bunker on the side of the road, the company was temporarily halted. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Sgt. Gonzalez exposed himself to the enemy fire and moved his platoon along the east side of a bordering rice paddy to a dike directly across from the bunker. Though fully aware of the danger involved, he moved to the fire-swept road and destroyed the hostile position with hand grenades. Although seriously wounded again on 3 February, he steadfastly refused medical treatment and continued to supervise his men and lead the attack. On 4 February, the enemy had again pinned the company down, inflicting heavy casualties with automatic weapons and rocket fire. Sgt. Gonzalez, utilizing a number of light antitank assault weapons, fearlessly moved from position to position firing numerous rounds at the heavily fortified enemy emplacements. He successfully knocked out a rocket position and suppressed much of the enemy fire before falling mortally wounded. The heroism, courage, and dynamic leadership displayed by Sgt. Gonzalez reflected great credit upon himself and the Marine Corps, and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Cobra_Gunship - Photo by Jose Diaz (1968-69) by manhhai, on Flickr

Heliport TSN 1967 - Sân bay trực thăng HOTEL-3 trong Căn cứ KQ Tân Sơn Nhứt trên đường Cộng Hòa, cạnh bên trại Hoàng Hoa Thám by manhhai, on Flickr

Vietnam War 1965 - Gần mật khu Tam giác sắt by manhhai, on Flickr
circa 1965, near the Iron Triangle, South Vietnam, American paratroopers of the 173rd Airborne Brigade move towards helicopters as they prepare for a search and destroy mission (Photo by Rolls Press/Popperfoto/Getty Images)

Vietnam War 1967 - US Marines Preparing to Evacuate by manhhai, on Flickr (Original Caption) 4/30/1967-Vietnam- US Marines are shown protecting a helicopter that is evacuating them from the area. They are allowing the wounded soldiers to get through first. They have just ended a 11-day long battle.

SAIGON 1968 by manhhai, on Flickr.....Saigon, South Vietnam: Photo shows troops in a trench next to a bridge, with their machine guns, awaiting orders or action.....May 11, 1968

soldier standing next to M109 "Bristo" of B 5/16 Art
PLEIKU 1967-68 by William Koontz
by manhhai, on Flickr

M48 tank PLEIKU 1967-68 by William Koontz by manhhai, on Flickr

Nice pictures!

I have a question. Has the Starfighter F-104 G been in action in the Vietnam war? I know the Phantom has and the B 52, Skyraider, Thunderchief, Skyhawk, Skyraider, Northrop NF 5. But I never saw a picture from the F-104G during the Vietnam war....??
Anybody know?

Yes, the Starfighters were serving there, there are even pictures of the aircraft with refueling probe in flight and camouflaged in some location in Vietnam; these aircraft were in command of American pilots, some of the other aircraft that you name (Skyrider, F5, A-37, among others) if they were transferred to Vietnam personnel