Photos US Forces

A North Vietnamese Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17 is hit by 20 mm shells from a U.S. Air Force Republic F-105D Thunderchief piloted by Major Ralph Kuster Jr. from the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 388th Tactical Figther Wing, on 3 June 1967. (U.S. Air Force photo)
Wow, great shot....well composed to and more by accident!
Private First Class James P. Laurie, a native New Yorker, reaches upward towards a fellow trooper from the 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cav Division while clearing a Vietnamese cave complex south of An Khe during Operation Pershing in February 1967.

Ex-POW and U.S. Navy CPT Ernest Melvin Moore Jr., (Captured 11 Mar 67) gets a kiss and a gift from young Robert Ballentine, son of SSGT Michael G. Ballentine assigned to the 6922nd Security Squadron. Robert was one of the many well wishers who came say goodbye to CPT Moore prior to his departure for the United States. CPT Moore was released in Hanoi by North Vietnam on March 4, 1973.
Commissioned as an ensign in the Navy in 1952, he was attached to a squadron on the carrier Philippine Sea during the Korean War, and then got a similar assignment, on the Ticonderoga, after the Vietnam War started. Moore was honored with two silver stars.
CPT Moore's Silver Star Citation reads as follows:
The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain [then Commander] Ernest Melvin Moore, Jr. (NSN: 0-553659), United States Navy, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action on 2 December 1966, while serving as a Pilot with Attack Squadron ONE HUNDRED NINETY-TWO (VA-192), embarked in the U.S.S. TICONDEROGA (CVA-14), during aerial combat operations in Southeast Asia. As the Division Leader of four SHRIKE-equipped aircraft, Captain Moore was responsible for providing missile warning, detection and suppression for the strike group during a coordinated attack on an important, heavily defended vehicle storage and repair depot in North Vietnam. By his skillful deployment of aircraft, he lured opposing missile sites to direct a major portion of their missile fire toward his widely dispersed position, thereby lessening the threat to the main strike group. Throughout this mission, he was subjected to intense enemy fire, in the face of which he continued to coordinate the efforts of the SHRIKE elements in a superlative manner. The successful execution of this mission attests to Captain Moore's superb professionalism and leadership, his inspiring courage in the face of grave personal danger, and his selfless dedication to duty. His actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
Moore died November 17, 2020 at the age of 91. Lest We Forget.

PFC Peter A. Haag, a rifleman with Company B, 2nd Bn, 47th Inf, 9th Infantry
Division takes up a defensive position in sup-
pected VC area during a house to house search in Saigon. Tet Offensive. 13 May 1968. Photo By: PFC Talmadge B. Harbison.
A Navy seaman fires twin machine guns of a PBR (Patrol Boat River) into the free-fire zone on the shoreline along the Mekong Delta southwest of Saigon, February 1969. Navy boats would often fire into the area in case Viet Cong troops were concealed in the canals of the Delta. (AP Photo)

The majority of the 101st Airborne Division’s tactical operations were in the Central Highlands and in the A Shau Valley farther north. Among its major operations was the brutal fight for Ap Bia Mountain, known as the “Hamburger Hill” battle.
The last Army division to leave Vietnam, the remaining elements of the 101st Airborne Division returned to Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where today it is the Army’s only airmobile division. During the war, troopers from the 101st won 17 Medals of Honor for bravery in combat.

Lcpl. Arthur Bustamante, of Ventura County California, served with the Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, Third Marine Amphibious Force.
Arthur arrived in Vietnam April 8, 1967. He was fatally wounded on January 13, 1968 by an explosive device during a convoy between the Rockpile and Cam Lo (Quang Tri). Lcpl. Arthur Bustamante was only 21 years old. Lest We Forget.

Air Force Col. Peter J. Stewart, 47, born in Glasgow, Scotland, raised in Winter Haven, Florida will be buried June 18, 2018 in Winter Haven. On March 15, 1966, Stewart, a member of Headquarters, 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, was the pilot of a two-seater F-4C aircraft, the second in a flight of two on an armed reconnaissance mission over northern Vietnam. The lead aircraft spotted two vehicles as the flight approached the target area and Stewart responded he was going to strafe the trucks. The lead aircraft, while maneuvering to engage the targets, lost sight of Stewart’s aircraft, but saw a bright orange explosion over the trucks. The flight lead immediately attempted to contact Stewart’s aircraft without result. No parachutes or emergency signals were seen, and all subsequent attempts to contact Stewart and his aircraft commander were unsuccessful. An organized search was not possible due to hostilities in the area. Stewart was subsequently declared missing in action. His status was later amended to deceased.

Private First Class R. L. Sandy, a rifleman with the 2d Battalion, 26th Marines [2/26] finds that going down a hill can be just as rough as climbing it during Operation Bold Mariner. The Leathernecks teamed up with infantrymen of the Americal Division and Army of the Republic of Vietnam’s 2d Infantry Division in the multi-battalion cordon-and-sweep operation designed to reduce the Viet Cong’s military and political grip on the Batangan Peninsula south of Chu Lai (official USMC photo by Corporal D. Kramer).


Similar threads