Photos US Forces

April 1968 – 1st Cavalry Division in Khe Sanh, Operation Pegasus, for the relieving of Marines.

American troops on Hill Timothy during an action against the Viet Cong, Vietnam War, April 1968. Notice, this action took place during Operation Pegasus (April 1 – 14, 1968), also known as Lam Son 207, a combat operation to relieve the Siege of Khe Sanh.

American soldiers are dropped off by U.S.Army helicopters to join South Vietnamese ground troops to advance in an attack on a Viet Cong camp 18 miles north of Tay Ninh, northwest of Saigon near the Cambodian border, in March 1965 during the Vietnam War.

USS Orleck (DD 886) fires her 5” guns at a Viet Cong stronghold near Vung Tau. USN photo, 18 April 1966.
A fire rages out of control aboard the USS Forrestal off the coast of Vietnam, July 29th, 1967. The fire started after a Zuni rocket accidentally detonated and started a chain reaction of explosions from aviation fuel and ordnance. 134 crewmen would die in the fire before it was extinguished.
In 1966, Dr. Harry Dinsmore was the Navy's chief of surgery in Da Nang, South Vietnam, when he learned that a live 60 mm mortar round was lodged in the chest of a South Vietnamese soldier. Per Dinsmore, "It was the evening of 1 October 1966. I was just finishing my evening meal when the officer of the day walked in with an X-ray in his hand. I vividly recall thinking my colleagues were playing a trick on me as we sometimes did to each other to break the boredom. I was assured it was no trick." Although not on duty that day, Dinsmore performed the operation, aware that the round could explode at the slightest movement. Dinsmore stated, "I was chief of surgery and the senior surgical officer present. Although three to four other general surgeons were on my staff, with the gravity of this situation, I felt that I could not ask or order anyone else to do the surgery."
Engineman First Class John Lyons, and also a demolition expert, was the only other person in the operating room with Dr. Dinsmore. He held the mortor still while Dinsmore cut out the bomb. Once free, Lyons handed off the mortor to his boss, CWO Bereker, an explosives expert, who took the bomb outside and disarmed it. Dr. Harry Dinsmore was awarded the Navy Cross for his heroism. He retired from the Navy in 1967 and practiced medicine in Punxsutawney, until retiring in 1990.
The soldier, Pfc. Nguyen Van Luong, was riding in the open hatch of an armored personnel carrier when the incoming round struck the hatch cover, then smashed against his helmet, knocking him out. The round entered his body just above the collarbone and slipped down between his skin and rib cage.

Soldiers take rest close to a small Christmas tree on their position at Hill 875 near Dak To, a few days after the North Vietnamese Army made a massive assault, on December 25, 1967
ergeant Edward C. Ziobron of West Virginia honored with the Distinguished Service Cross
On Nov 26 1970, Sgt. Ziobron and his recon team from MACVSOG, where tasked with conducting a clandestine operation into Loas.
Master Sgt. Edward Ziobron who now lives near Martinsburg, W.Va., received the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions in 2005. West Virginia National Guard adjutant general Maj. James Hoyer said he believes Ziobron didn't receive official recognition at the time because the November 1970 mission was classified.

Ziobron's Distinguished Service Cross Citation reads as follows:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Sergeant Edward C. Ziobron, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Command and Control (Central), 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces. Sergeant Ziobron distinguished himself while serving as squad leader of an American-Vietnamese exploitation force operating deep within enemy controlled territory. On the first day of the mission, Sergeant Ziobron's squad stopped for a security break when he detected enemy soldiers advancing towards their position. Reacting immediately he led his team in an assault against the enemy's defenses. Although seriously wounded by fragments from an impacting B-40 round, Sergeant Ziobron continued to advance upon the adversary by unleashing a steady concentration of automatic weapons fire. So devastating was his assault that the foe broke contact and fled in confusion. The following day no contact was made and the friendly element departed for a landing zone for medical evacuation of wounded personnel. Upon arrival his patrol again encountered enemy resistance. Firing light anti-tank weapons, Sergeant Ziobron successfully repelled the attackers. Refusing medical extraction, he remained with his team to direct their night defensive positions. The following morning his patrol was attacked by a north Vietnamese force firing B-40 rockets, automatic weapons and small arms. Wounded again, Sergeant Ziobron led his men in an aggressive assault, causing the foe to withdraw. Afterwards, the allied patrol moved toward an extraction site. During their movement they were again attacked by a large hostile force. Wounded in the leg, Sergeant Ziobron crawled forward, tossing hand grenades and firing his weapon upon the foe. Realizing the numerical superiority of the belligerent force, he summoned air support and directed accurate air strikes upon the hostile positions. Then, ignoring his own painful wounds, he led his patrol to an extraction zone where they were rescued the following morning. Because of his determined actions, he averted total annihilation of the allied patrol by the superior enemy force. Sergeant Ziobron's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
#VietnamWarStories #usarmy #usarmy #usarmyveteran #vietnamvet #heroes #neverforgotten #neverforget #Hero #HeroesInUniform #VietnamWar #westvirginia #macvsog
Original description and photos sourced by: Charleston Gazette, and US Army

Of the more than 12,000 helicopters operating in Vietnam, more than 5,000 were destroyed by combat or accidents. Helicopters were used in more than 850,000 medical evacuation missions conducted during that war, and were responsible for boosting survival rates for the wounded to as high as 99 percent, according to the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association. Pilots from the United States, Australia and New Zealand are featured below.
#VietnamWarStories #RAAF #usarmy
#vietnamwarfootageandstories #Anzac #newzealandmilitary #australianmilitary
#VietnamWar #heroesofusmilitary #usarmy
Original photos sourced by US Army, USMC Archive, Australian War Memorial and

Lance Corporal Robert A. Bishop (Cincinnati, Ohio) explores a Viet Cong tunnel complex found by Leathernecks of the 2d Battalion, 26th Marines [2/26] during Operation Bold Mariner. The Marines teamed up with Army of the Republic of Vietnam and American Division units in the multi-battalion cordon-and-sweep operation on the Batangan Peninsula near Quang Ngai City (official USMC photo by Corporal D. Kramer).
#VietnamWarStories #salutetoservice #usa #usmcvet #VietnamVets #vietnamveteran #lestweforget #remember #HeroesInUniform #neverforget #neverforgotten #salute #usmc #semperfi #marinecorps #vietnamvet
Original photograph and description sourced from : The Jonathan F. Abel Collection (COLL/3611), Marine Corps Archives & Special Collections


Similar threads