Photos US and South Korean Forces

Marines during the Korean War celebrate Thanksgiving. For many of the frontline troops, turkeys and all the traditional fixings were flown in by helicopters.

(Official Marine Corps Photo)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK)

Airborne troops of the 187th Regimental Combat Team ("Rakkasans") board a C-119 "Flying Boxcar" of 314th Troop Carrier Group for their drop behind enemy lines north of Pyonyang, Korea.

It took place on 20th October, 1950 as part of an airborne assault on the North Korean towns of Sukchon and Sunchon which laid 48km north of Pyongyang. The mission objective was to cut off an estimated 30,000 retreating North Korean soldiers and rescue US Prisoners of War believed to be with those forces.

Departing from Kimpo Airfield near Seoul, this was the first operation in the history of the airborne that paratroopers would be dropped from C-119, and the first time heavy equipment would be dropped into enemy territory. During this operation 4,000 men, 600 tons of equipment and supplies were dropped. These included twelve 105 mm howitzers, 39 jeeps, 38 1/4-ton trailers, four 90 mm antiaircraft guns, four 3/4-ton trucks, as well as ammunition, fuel, water, rations, and other supplies.

Once airborne, the planes fell into formation over the Han River and began their journey towards the drop zones, supported by US fighter aircraft which rocketed and strafed the ground in preparation for the landings. Lt. Col. Ronald Speirs and the rest of the 3rd Battalion were parachuted into Drop Zone William – which laid southeast of Sukchon. Once on the ground the paratroopers moved south and took up defensive positions on the low hills south of Sukchon where they established roadblocks across the highway and railway.

Though the airborne drop itself was a success and the town of Sukchon seized, roads and railroads blocked, no prisoners were rescued. Many prisoners – carried in a train concealed in a tunnel as the 187th RCT jumped into the area, were shot by the North Korean soldiers guarding them. The American paratroopers were subsequently ordered to return to Pyongyang.

(Source - NARA FILE#: 111-SC-35149)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK)

Marines of the US 1st Marine Division watch F4U Corsairs drop napalm on Chinese positions near the Chosin Reservoir; December 26th, 1950

(Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK)

A U.S. Army H-19 'Chickasaw' helicopter crew, assigned to the 6th Transportation Helicopter Company, Eighth Army-Korea, delivers C-rations to the 35th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, near Panmunjom, May 23, 1953.

(Colourised by Allan White from Australia)

5/1479 Private L. J. Best of Sniper Section, Brigade Headquarters, 3rd Battalion the Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR), displaying the Sniperscope which is attached to a .30 calibre United States Carbine. The scope is battery operated and the battery is carried in the pack on his back. Kapyong Valley, Korea. 15/4/1952

The soldiers of 3RAR were mostly Second World War veterans and all had volunteered for service in Korea. In October 1950 3RAR, operating as an integral battalion within the British Commonwealth 27th Brigade took part in the pursuit of the broken North Korean army after the Pusan breakout. Hard fighting followed as 3RAR along with all other UN forces contended with the Chinese intervention. In July 1951 the 1st Commonwealth Division was formed to which the Australian Army contributed two infantry battalions as part of the 27th Brigade which was later redesignated the 28th Brigade. The Korean War was above all an infantryman’s war which the Australian battalions, composed as they were of veteran soldiers, engaged in with consistent competence. Even though Australians were offered few opportunities for higher operational command the Australian Army did provide the most senior leadership positions of the British Commonwealth forces in Korea with Lt. General Sir Horace Robertson being the first of four Australian Lt. Generals to fill that role. During the three years of the Korean War the Australian Army deployed 10,657 soldiers. Of these 276 were killed in action, 16 died from other causes, 1210 were wounded in action and 23 became prisoners of war. One died while a prisoner. (

(Source - Australian War Memorial 147849)

American troops and some South Koreans are in a ditch along the road running near the Naktong River in South Korea on Sept. 19, 1950. Its known as the river road. They are in the ditch for protection against enemy shells. (AP Photo/Gene Herrick )

Corsair fighters of VF-114 'Executioners' take off from the USS Philippine Sea (CV-47) during the Korean War.

Colorized by Craig Kelsay from the USA)

70 years ago today, DPRK forces crossed the 38th Parallel to invade the Republic of Korea. Nations from around the world came together under one flag to restorepeace on the Korean Peninsula. Twenty-two nations sent their sons and daughters to provide combat forces and medical assistance to aid the Republic of Korea, and many would not return home.

Royal Marines Commandos placing explosives charges on railway tracks during an amphibious raid behind North Korean lines. Note the US clothing and equipment as well as US small arms used!

Holding their trousers high, marines ford a stream while on patrol in the 'Punchbowl Valley' area of the eastern front in Korea on Sept. 5, 1951. The Marines encountered no resistance on the patrol and United Nations troops gained control of the area. (AP Photo/George Sweers)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK)

British soldiers of the 1st Battalion the Gloucestershire Regiment after fighting their way out of a Communist encirclement pictured on their Bren gun carrier. 9th May 1951.

1951 - The Battle of Imjin River
About 400 "Glorious Glosters" fought a last stand on Hill 235, which was later renamed Gloster Hill, they held out against 10,000 Chinese troops for three nights during the battle in April 195...1.

They had started the Battle of Imjin River with 700 men but few avoided death or imprisonment.
Fifty-nine were killed and nearly 600 were taken prisoner. Thirty-four died in captivity.
Prisoners remained in POW camps for more than two years until after the armistice was declared in July 1953.

It remains the bloodiest battle fought by British Forces since World War II.

(Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK)


Similar threads