Photos US and South Korean Forces

Two US soldiers from the 40th Infantry Division with a M1 Garand and M1918A3 Browning Automatic Rifle, in the snow. c.1952

The division moved to Korea in January 1952. After additional training, the division moved north in February 1952, where it relieved the 24th Infantry Division on the battle line. At the time the division consisted of the 160th, 223rd, 224th Infantry Regiments, and smaller no...n-regiment sized units.

In Korea, the 40th Infantry Division participated in the battles of Sandbag Castle and Heartbreak Ridge. In these campaigns, the division suffered 1,180 casualties, including 311 who were killed in action, and 47 who later died from wounds received in action. Total division casualties in Korea included 376 killed in action, 1,457 wounded in action, and 47 died of wounds.

(Photo courtesy of the California State Military History Museum)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

"New Jersey fires a nine gun salvo of 16 in shells into an enemy troop concentration near Kaesong, Korea. 1/1/53" (Wikipedia)

(Wiki has this pic date 1/1/53 firing at Kaesong but USS Jersey didn't start her second Korean tour until April '53.)

We reckon this could be; ...
The U.S. Navy battleship USS New Jersey (BB-62) fires a nine 40.6 cm (16 in) gun salvo during bombardment operations against enemy targets in Korea, adjacent to the 38th parallel, on 10 November 1951. (Making it Kansong and not Kaesong)

(Photo source - USN - U.S. DefenseImagery VIRIN: 80-G-433953/HN-SN-98-07219)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

Temporary Sergeant Stafford Kenny James “Len” Lenoy who was killed in action during the Battle of Kapyong.

Stafford Lenoy was born on the 21st of October 1923 in Cairns, Queensland, to... Octavius “Ockie” and Janine “Janie” Lenoy. He was the middle child in a large family.

After spending his formative years in the town of Ayr, Lenoy, his parents, and his siblings were removed by authorities to Palm Island. During cane seasons, Lenoy returned to Ayr to work as a cutter.

Following the outbreak of the Second World War, Lenoy, aged 18, was called up for service in the Militia in March 1943. Four days later he volunteered for service with the Australian Imperial Force. He did his basic and specialist training with the 2nd Australian Machine Gun Training Battalion at Tenterfield, New South Wales. He spent much of the next year in various training schools, and in May he was posted to the 2/3rd Machine Gun Battalion in the Atherton Tablelands. The battalion deployed to New Guinea in December and took part in the Aitape–Wewak campaign. After the war Lenoy transferred to the newly raised 67th Battalion at Morotai for occupation duties in Japan.

By the end of 1948 the battalion had become the 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment. Lenoy remained with 3RAR and joined the Australian Regular Army Special Reserve in March 1950. He was soon promoted to lance corporal.

The Korean War began on the 25th of June 1950. Lenoy, now a member of 3RAR’s medium machine-gun platoon, was promoted to temporary corporal in mid-September and deployed with 3RAR to Korea at the end of the month. It took part in the mobile campaign into North Korea, but with the intervention of the Chinese in late October the UN troops were forced to withdraw. By December 3RAR was in positions just north of Seoul.

Following further withdrawals in January 1951, UN troops advanced again in March. Just prior to Anzac Day, 3RAR was in reserve and preparing to host their British, New Zealand and Turkish comrades. On the morning of the 23rd of April the Chinese launched a new offensive towards Seoul, and 3RAR, along with the 27th Brigade, was deployed north of Kapyong to stop them.

Lenoy, now a temporary sergeant, was attached to A Company in the forward most defensive positions. The Chinese began their attacks on the company in the late afternoon, and despite heavy casualties maintained their pressure on the Australians throughout the night. It was during an attack in the early hours of the 24th of April that Stafford Lenoy was killed.

After an intense battle, the Chinese division broke off its attack on Anzac Day. For 3RAR the cost was high, with 32 men killed, 59 wounded, and three taken prisoner.

Lenoy was initially buried near Kapyong, but was later reinterred at the United Nations Memorial Cemetery at Pusan. He was 27 years old.

Images and text courtesy of the Australian War Memorial

(Colourised by Benjamin Thomas from Australia)

Troops of the 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division land at Inchon Harbor, Korea, aboard LST's. September 18, 1950.

(Photo source - NARA FILE #: 111-SC-363216)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

KOREAN CONFLICT: US Navy Corsair fighters of VF-114 'Executioners' prepare to take off from the deck of the USS Philippine Sea (CV-47) of Navy Task Force 77, operating off the southwest coast of Korea in 1951/52

F-80 "Shooting Star" jets about to take off at an airbase in Japan.


Two Eighth Army Soldiers are shown manning an anti-aircraft gun emplacement at an air base in Japan. F-80 Shooting Stars are shown in the background taxiing into a position for a takeoff on a mission over South Korea. The men are, left to right, Private First Class James Murphy, West Mount, New Jersey and Private First Class William Housel, Mount Savage, Maryland. 18 July 1950.

Official Department of Defense Photo

Last edited by a moderator:
A US Air Force H-5G fitted with two stretchers prepares to evacuate a wounded soldier, July 1951.

Even though "Armistice" talks are in progress at Kaesong, Korea, the mission of the 3rd Air Rescue Squadron continues. A helicopter of the 3rd Air Rescue Squadron is shown as it settles gently to Korean soil to take on an injured soldier being carried in a stretcher by medics. In a matter of minutes... this soldier will be under the professional care of a medical officer at one of the Mobile Army Surgical Hospitals at the rear. Two Korean laborers have stacked their "A" frames to watch the patient loaded into the helicopter capsules. More than 2,300 lives have been saved by Air Rescue personnel who are serving the U.S. Far East Air Forces during the Korean war. This number represents rescues made by all the 3rd Air Rescue aircraft.

(Photo source - AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM#: 80572 AC)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

Marine Fighter Squadron 214 (VMF-214), "Black Sheep," flying F4U-4B Corsairs from USS Sicily, became the first unit of the First Marine Aircraft Wing to engage in combat operations in Korea — they carried out a rocket and bomb attack on Chinju on August 3, 1950.

Colorized by Craig Kelsay from the USA)

Lt. John P Quinn, Lakehurst, New Jersey, inspects a dud shell among the debris of an explosion when a mortar ammunition dump blew up on the central Korean Front.
The dump burned and exploded for more than four hours, but no one was injured. January 29 1951

(Photographer - Ed Hoffman, ACME, New York Bureau)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

U.S. Marines in Seoul, Korea, September 1950

Weapons shown in this pic;
M1 Garand rifle
M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)...
M1 .30 caliber semi-automatic carbine

(Photo source - David Douglas Duncan Papers and Photography Collection)
David Douglas Duncan was "The Marine who carried a camera instead of a rifle.”

(Colourised by Doug)

US Marines rest after making it through the canyon road known as 'Nightmare Alley' during the retreat from the Chosin (Changjin) Reservoir, December 1950.

"After a short period of rest, the breakout began on 6 December with the 7th Marines as the vanguard of the retreating column while the 5th Marines covered the rear"
(Roy Appleman - East of Chosin: Entrapment and Breakout in Korea, 1950)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

US Marines destroying an enemy bunker, 1st January 1953

(Probably 1st Marines;
".....during the period 6 January through 23 January extensive patrolling was carried out forward of the MLR. Reconnaissance Patrols were dispatched nightly, and listening posts were established during the hours of darkness by all rifle companies.
Four reinforced squad size combat patrols were sent out with the mission... of capturing prisoners, killing enemy, and destroying enemy positions and material ..... " (1ST MARINE REGIMENT - 1ST BATTALION - COMMAND DIARY - JANUARY

(Colourised by Doug)

M-26 Tanks, jeeps and U.S. Marines slog through mud and a creek as they move forward against Chinese Communists on the central Korean front north of Hoengsong on March 7, 1951. (AP Photo/E.N.Johnson)

'A' Company of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry moves in single file across rice paddies as it advances on enemy positions across the valley, Busan, Korea. March 1951.

March 7 1951, two companies from 2 PPCLI assaulted Hill 532 in South Korea, resulting in 7 Canadians killed and 37 wounded. March 14 1951 Seoul is liberated by UN troops for the second time.

Photo source: Canadian... Library and Archives PA-171228

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

American troops (possibly 25th Infantry Division) crowd onto 1st Cavalry Division Sherman tanks. Korea c.1950

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

Turkish Army Infantry Brigade arrival at Pusan, Korea, October 1950.

The advance party of the Turkish Brigade arrived in Pusan on 12 October 1950. The main body arrived five days later, October 17 from the eastern Mediterranean port of Iskenderun, Turkey, and the brigade went into bivouac near Taegu where it underwent training and received U.S. equipment. The brigade was attached to the U.S. 25th... Infantry Division.

On 29 June 1950 the government of the Republic of Turkey replied to the United Nations Resolution 83 requesting military aid to South Korea, following the attack initiated by North Korea on 25 June. The cable stated: "Turkey is ready to meet his responsibilities." On 25 July 1950 the Turkish government decided to send a brigade of 5,000 troops comprising three infantry battalions, an artillery battalion and auxiliary units, to fight under UN Command against North Korea and subsequently the People's Republic of China. Turkey was the second country to answer the UN call, after the United States.

(Colorised by Murathan Yilmaz from Turkey)

An Air Rescue Service crew treats a wounded UN soldier on one of an H-5G helicopter’s two outboard litters.
Note the whole blood hanging in the door, and the litter cover on the ground.

The USAF's air rescue mission came into its own during the Korean War. Crews of amphibious aircraft performed spectacular rescues from North Korean rivers and off the coast, and USAF air rescue units used helico...pters to reach downed Airmen on land deep in enemy territory. Rescue crews flying modified B-29 and B-17 bombers also dropped lifeboats to Airmen downed in the ocean, and a small number of Air Force crash rescue boats operating from Japan and Korea retrieved downed Airmen. Knowing they could be rescued quickly by air or sea greatly improved aircrews' morale.

The Air Force also evacuated many wounded troops from the front lines. In the war's early stages, USAF H-5 helicopters rushed critically wounded soldiers from the front to Army MASH (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) units. Many would have died without such timely transport and treatment. During the course of the war, the U.S. Army eventually took over front-line helicopter medical evacuation, though USAF helicopters were still used on occasion.

(Photo and caption source - National Museum of the US Air Force)

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

Boeing B-29 Superfortress of the Strategic Air Command (SAC) on a bombing mission on Hungnam, North Korea. July 31st 1950.

"In a major strike on the industrial city of Hungnam on 31 July 1950, 500 tons of ordnance was delivered through clouds by radar; the flames rose 200-300 feet into the air."

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

“Fiery Destroyer— as the 1st Marine Division advances in Korea, the flamethrower is used to deny communist infiltrators a hiding place.” 5 May 1951

From the Photograph Collection (COLL/3948), Marine Corps Archives & Special Collection

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)

Cpl. Robert L. Sutton of Lawton, Oklahoma, commander of a M24 'Chaffee' light tank, listens and watches for enemy planes, Somewhere in Korea. 8 July 1950. (two weeks after the start of the war)

“In July 1950 the few fighters of the North Korean Air Force were still roaming the skies in the South.

Photo source - Official Dept. of Defense - SC 343285...

(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)


Similar threads