Photos Under New Management

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
Having seen loads of photos in our galleries showing Allied & Axis equipment being used by the other side, I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread.

sherman firefly.jpg
A Sherman Firefly captured and used by the Germans

Last edited:
Seventeen Gauntlets IIs were licence produced in Denmark, while 25 ex-RAF machines were supplied by South Africa as support to Finland in 1940 as a result of the Winter War. Already obsolete, they were used as advanced trainers by the Finns. The Finnish nickname for the Gauntlet was Kotletti (literally "cutlet").
Wikipedia

In order
1/ Panther
2/ Panzer IV
3/ Hummel Self Propelled Howitzer

0000.wgermanfiat.jpg 0000.wgermanfiat1.jpg 0000.wfinnfiat.jpg 0000.wrussianfiat.jpg 0000.wswedefiat.jpg

Various Italian aircraft with different markings. Germany seized a lot of aircraft from Italy after the king surrendered in 1943 - I'm not sure if the old Fiat biplane was acquired that way. Sweden and Finland bought theirs... Russia came into that one during the failed Italian invasion of Russia. SW

The Macchi MC.200 in Russian markings

Fighter plane: Macchi C.200 (MC.200) “Saetta”
Main Armament: 2× 12.7 mm (.5 in) Breda-SAFAT machine guns,
some planes modified for
8× 15 kg (33 lb) or 2× 50, 100, or 150 kg bombs under the wings
Weight: 1,964 kg
Speed: 504 km/h (313 mph) at 4,500 m (14,765 ft)
Crew: 1
First Flight: 1937

0000.unm1.jpg 0000.unm2.jpg 0000.unm3.jpg 0000.unm4.jpg

And a few more. It's not hard to find Italian aircraft with German markings pics, but I question how many actually flew. Spares were always an issue with Regia Aeronautica. The tri-motors shown did well in the anti-shipping torpedo bomber role. The Komet with Russian star pic might have been taken during post war testing.

More dangerous to fuel than fly! SW

I think the Me 163 shown here in Soviet markings was photographed at the Soviet Flight Research Institute.

I found this statement

It proved impossible to examine the behavior of the Me 163 rocket-propelled aircraft in the air since there were no fuel reserves for the Walter HWK 109-509 engine. Test pilot M. L Gallay who was one of the first to fly this aircraft, remembered: "It was a hydrogen peroxide rocket motor that consumed this unpleasant 'food' in such quantities that it would be necessary to expand the industrial production of peroxide to satisfy its needs". It was then decided to test the plane in powerless flight.

The fuel - C-stoff und T-stoff - was so reactive, it was even dangerous to wash out the tanks.

I was amazed to learn the Kursk submarine disaster was caused by a hydrogen peroxide leak in a torpedo past due for maintenance. I would think batteries would be the power source of choice. SW

The T-60 scout tank was a light tank produced by the Soviet Union from 1941 to 1942. In this time over 6,292 were built. The tank was designed to replace the obsolete T-38 amphibious scout tank.

Here are a few captured and used by the Germans during WW2

t60 light tank 01.jpg t60 light tank 02.jpg t60 light tank 03.jpg t60 light tank 04.jpg t60 light tank 05.jpg t60 light tank 06.jpg t60 light tank 07.jpg

Hotchkiss Right ?

The 38H(f) second photo down has wheels can you explain this?

Back