Other Post The Battle of Kursk

Raven Gold

Mi Corporal
MI.Net Member
The battle of Kursk is maybe the most iconic examples of early tank warfare. Two generals against each other, and two opposing forces.

To me it seem like the Russian victory at the battle of kursk mainly hinged on the stupidity of Hitler. From the start the Germans had the advantage in every possibly way, but at one point when the 1st Tiger tank rolled out of the factory prototype, Hitler became obsessed, he ordered his general to stay back an assault for months. Right when they could easily have crushed the Russians with one straight assault.

But Hitler desperately wanting to play with his new toy, couldn't have that, he ordered to stay the attack, and the Russians used that time to quickly developed and mass produce there T-32s and prepare such an impossible defencive barrier, that the german tigers were pretty much rendered useless.

To me this seems like recurring event throughout the entire of the 2nd world war.

Well, you're almost right... The Soviets mass produced the T-34, not the T-32 as stated. Hitler pretty much screwed up the entire war for Germany. If he had let his Generals do the actual tactical planning, and follow it through with the attack, most of Europe would be speaking German today!

Oh yes, I tend to confuse the 32 and 34 (They look almost identical to me.) But never mind most of Europe, most of the world would likely be speaking german today.

But it's true. Hitler was simply an idiot. I do believe if any of the earlier assassination attempts has succeeded, the war would have gone to the germans. In fact, the world would likely be a better place today, with Hitler gone the Nazi cause would be ushered out quietly, but german pride would have continued the war.

The T-34 75mm was no match for the TIGER 1, however, the T-34 85mm was DEVASTSTING!!!!

But the whole problem with Tiger tank was that, like I said up there, it came in too late.

Well, I wouldn't say that. What I will say is that instead of Germany building so many different variations of specialized armored vehicles, they should have researched modifying the really effective models, like the TIGER 1.

When the TIGER 1 was first encountered by the Brits in North Africa, it proved to be quite a nasty surprise. The 88mm cannon was already a proven antitank/antiaircraft platform. By placing it in a heavily armored, turreted vehicle, it proved to be virtually unstoppable; especially in open desert warfare, (which is what the TIGER 1 was designed for). The British Army didn't have a single piece of equipment at the time to even slow down the TIGER 1.

What Germany should have done immeadiately after the introduction of the TIGER 1, was look into modification of the exsisting design. Items like an improved powerplant, a better frontal armor design, (a lot of TIGER crews would mount extra track on the front to add protection for the tank's driver), perhaps redesign the turret to utilize the ballistic protection of sloped armor, (it causes impacting rounds to explode in a glancing fashion, defeating the shaped charge, which is designed to punch a hole through the armor). The mistake was to pursue an entirely new design for a main battle tank, namely the PANTHER, which was in my opinion, one of the worst tank designs of the entire war. The early model PANTHERs were prone to massive mechanical failure; the fuel tanks were unarmored and exposed; and the 76mm gun proved to be ineffectual against heavy tanks and tank destroyers.

Had the German High Command researched the continuing development of the highly successful TIGER 1 design, I personally feel the entire ground war would have gone in a totally different direction; and the battle of KURSK probably would have never had the chance to even taken place.

And if pigs could fly.....:cool: