Book Sharpe

Advisor

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Bernard Cornwall has written a whole series of books about the Napoleonic wars with the 'hero' being Richard Sharpe. Seems on the whole to be fairly well researched, but I'd like to know what our brothers across the pond think (sisters too coast; )

We had a program on TV about this I believe the part of Sharpe was played by Sean Bean?

chosenmen.jpg

It was an excellent TV series solthum

It is well worth the watch (Y)

Last edited:
Thanks. How many episodes were there? I think they only showed 2 or 3 on the TV if I recall.

Bernard Cornwell's 'Sharpe' series of books are excellent and I think the TV series is a very good representation of them and the Peninsular War, which, while being a drama, doesn't necessarily glorify the war. Richard Sharpe and his 'Rifles' are great characters.
Cornwell also presented a programme called 'The Spanish Ulcer' on one or other of The History/Discovery/Civilisation Channels, I forget which, about this war, where he walked over the battlegrounds, describing the various actions.
Cornwell has his own website, for those interested:

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

Advisor said:
Thanks. How many episodes were there? I think they only showed 2 or 3 on the TV if I recall.

Advisor, if you go here, to the 'Sharpe Appreciation Society' you'll finds lots more info. Click on 'reviews' to find out more about the TV films.

SHARPE

P.S. One of my favourite characters was Pete Postlethwaite as 'Sgt. Hakeswill'. A really nasty piece of work!

Bombardier said:
It was an excellent TV series solthum
You can Purchase the whole series here If you are in the US make sure that your video player will support the European PAL format.
It is well worth the Buy (Y)

A slightly off topic, but non the less helpfull hint:

A generic how to make your DVD player 'region free':
(Works on Pacific DVD 900 at least, anyway!)

Use the original DVD remote control.

1. Insert your alternative region DVD (You should get the wrong region message on your TV screen)
2. press open/close (leave tray open).You can remove the disk now if you like..
3. press the 'clear' button.
4. press digits 1,3,6,9,0 in that order.
5. press open/close (to close tray) and the DVD will now play.

Your machine is now region free..

"Sharpe's Challenge"

Updated 6th April 2006
Sharpe's Challenge will be screened on ITV 1 on Sunday 23rd and Monday 24th April 2006, this will be a two part mini series of 90 minutes each evening. I know you will all enjoy it.
For those in the USA we have news that shortly after the British screening, BBC America will be re-running all 14 Sharpe films, culminating in the screening sometime in September of Sharpe's Challenge.

Plot synopsis:
"Sean Bean is back as the swashbuckling hero in Sharpe's Challenge, an action packed mini-series to be shot on location in Rajasthan, India. Two years after the Duke of Wellington crushes Napoleon at Waterloo, dispatches from India tell of a local Maharaja, Khande Rao, who is threatening British interests there. Wellington sends Sharpe to investigate on what turns out to be his most dangerous mission to date. When a beautiful general's daughter is kidnapped by the Indian warlord, the tension mounts, leaving Sharpe no option but to pursue the enemy right into its deadly lair. Deep in the heart of enemy territory he also has to keep at bay the beautiful but scheming Regent, Madhuvanthi, who is out to seduce him.

The fate of an Empire and the life of a General's daughter lie in one man's hands...."​

Thanks, Drone. Will keep an eye out on BBC America. I wonder why quality programing can't be done in the USA. Most of what is considered 'original' is dumbed down drivel.box;

Drone_pilot said:
"Sharpe's Challenge"

The fate of an Empire and the life of a General's daughter lie in one man's hands...."
Looking forward to it!

Hi all,

You can also go to <http://IMBd.com> this is a good movie/ TV site.

In the top left hand corner, click on all.

In the drop down click on titles and type in Sharpe and you will get a listing of all the TV screenings.

Type in the name of a movie and you will get a list of all the actors in that movie, or type an actors name and it will give you all the movies he/she as been in.

Silky

Sharpe' Fury

I was browsing in Ottakar's bookshop the other day and picked up a free booklet published by Harper Collins, to promote the latest Sharpe story, 'Sharpe's Fury'. This is the 21st novel in the Sharpe series and looks to be another cracker. See Harper Collins review here:

SHARPE

The booklet gives some great background on the Sharpe stories, from Bernard Cornwell himself, who explains some of his reasoning on how the characters and stories came about. It runs to 46 pages and is well worth a read in itself, if you can get hold of a copy. I would imagine that Harper Collins have circulated it to most high street booksellers. (Y)

Back