Rant Royal British Legion

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
War veterans parade for Queen at legion HQ opening

The Queen met Iraq and Afghanistan veterans as well as a nine-year-old boy who campaigned for them as she officially opened the Royal British Legion's new headquarters.

Queen Elizabeth II meeting Allen Parton, former Royal Navy Chief Petty Officer after she officially opened the new British Legion Headquarters in South London

Former servicemen and their families told Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh how their lives had been transformed by help from the Legion after they were injured.

The Queen, wearing a tweed coat with a dark chocolate-coloured hat, also met George Taylor, nine, from Gravesend, who is the Legion's official Cub Campaigner.

George was appointed to the role after he contacted his local MP to demand more help for war veterans after watching a news item about a man forced to sell his medals to pay bills.
He was invited to meet Veterans Minister Kevan Jones last year where he discussed rights for Gurkhas and asked for chocolate at Christmas for the Chelsea Pensioners.

Broadcaster Alastair Stewart and singer Hayley Westenra were also at the opening of Haig House in south London yesterday.

The Legion has moved into the refurbished building in Borough to provide much needed modern facilities for staff.

It had been based in Pall Mall close to St James' Palace in central London since 1947.
The Legion was founded in 1921 and is famous for its annual poppy appeal which last year raised £30 million for the organisation's work.

Legion Director General Chris Simpkins said: "The Legion is not just about those who served in wars past but about campaigning and caring for current service personnel and their families.

"There has been a 30% increase in requests for help from those under the age of 35 and the Legion has risen to the challenge of meeting their needs thanks to the public's support."

Now don’t get me wrong, I think the British Legion performes an excellent job for our troops. However, it angers me when they spend so much money on having a headquarters in the capital that cost tens of thousand pounds a year on rates and upkeep. And the building is for the staff.

The two highest price places in London are Mayfair and Pall Mall and though they have now moved from Pall Mall Millions of pounds were spent on this new HQ which to me could have been spent on service personnel.

Surely the organisation could work just as well somewhere else and at a much lower cost, therefore allowing more funds to be used where it was originally intended.

Silky