1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

Admin Resources

Discussion in 'Admin Shout Box' started by Bombardier, May 21, 2017.

?

Good IDea?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2017.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

I an effort to provide our members with more military resources we have decided to create a resource download section to MI.Net.

This will in time be a tresure trove of downloadable information such as Military manuals, Ebooks, Zip files containing military photo collections and well the list could go on and on.

It will be bandwidth intensive but we think it will be worth it.

It will be fully integrated into our site .

Resources can be sold if required (as a link to external purchase handling), downloaded directly from the resource manager, downloaded from an external URL, or provided without a file. The admins can control the type of resources allowed and who can post them on a per category basis. Discussion threads can automatically be created for each resource, allowing the target forum and a thread prefix to be specified per resource category.

It is a massive step forward and will have a direct impact on server space and bandwidth.
    The sale of items will require the member wishing to sell to have membership of a sellers group and will require them to upgrade their normal membership for a fee not yet decided. Any money generated will assist in offsetting the cost of implementing such a service.

Watch this space....

Cobra, BrassMonkey and BravoZulu like this.
  2. BravoZulu Australia

BravoZulu Mi Staff Sergeant MI.Net Member

Growth is good mate! ;)

Cobra, BrassMonkey and Bombardier like this.
  3. Bombardier

Well its up and running, still need to work my way around it and tweak a little but ITS DONE AT LAST !!!!!

You can find it in the Navbar at the top of any page mil-smile08

Cobra and BravoZulu like this.
  4. Admin United Kingdom

Admin Administrator Staff Member Site Admin

All working well but have a small issue that I hope I can resolve today with file size.
    Hope you all find the time to use this feature.

Cobra likes this.
  5. The Hood United Kingdom

The Hood Mi Lance corporal MI.Net Member

I think it is a great idea and I have just had a play around with it. I can see it being quite popular in the future especially if people can sell resources too

Cobra and BrassMonkey like this.
  6. Bombardier

@The Hood thanks for giving it a go, we did have a few issues with file sizes but I see your file falls within the 20Mb maximum.

As a point of note if you have a file larger than 20Mb the system will allow you to quote an alternative download URL

Also any resources posted will need to be approved by admin, this is just an additional security measure.

Only registered members will be able to post & download resources. non registered viewers will of course be able to see the resource listing.

I will post more updates regarding features of the 'Military Resource' section as time goes by.

Cobra, BravoZulu and BrassMonkey like this.
  7. BrassMonkey United Kingdom

BrassMonkey Mi Corporal MI.Net Member

That will soon become a very useful place to visit, well done @Bombardier

Cobra and BravoZulu like this.
  8. Bombardier

Thanks mate, if you or anybody else have an idea of other types of downloads that would be of use let me know and I will create a Category for it.

Cobra likes this.
  9. zeroalpha United Kingdom

zeroalpha Mi Lance corporal MI.Net Member

Wow been away from site for a few weeks and things have changed again,brilliant feature that Pal. Gonna go upload a nice file about the USMC ranks & grades.

Cobra and Bombardier like this.
  10. Bombardier

Thanks mate, thanks for giving it a go too.

Just a little update

I have set the system up so that when a resource is created it automatically creates a thread for discussion, you will see a 'Discussion' tab directly on the resource.

Cobra likes this.
  11. Cobra United Kingdom

Cobra Mi Corporal MI.Net Member

Good stuff bombardier & staff

Bombardier likes this.
  12. Bombardier

For now the max upload file size is set to 20Mb however if you find a military resource that is larger than that, you can still point the download to the external source.

Here is an example
    https://www.militaryimages.net/military-resources/the-british-army-in-india.15/

The link above points to a download of 50Mb

instead of uploading the file you fill in the external url field and we take care of the rest.