Other Post Pickering War Weekend

JackieSB

Mi Private
MI.Net Member
Pickering, North Yorkshire. The annual War Weekend is set to take place on the 10th, 11th and 12th of October this year. As usual the town and NYMR Railway station will be heaving with hundreds of people and re-enactors in WW2 Uniforms and civvy clothing of the era. Many military vehicles and classic cars on show, plus many other attractions.

Down the track at Levisham, the village will be transformed into an enemy occupied French village called Le-Visham. This will be the area for those re-enactors wearing German uniforms. They are not allowed to travel on the steam trains between Le-Visham and Pickering, as no German POW ever got to do that apparently. They are not even supposed to be in Pickering, though in 2011 I spotted one German Tank Commander, and a couple of his crew. I got photo's of them, and many others for my blog. The Commander was playing the part of a man who was finally killed at the Battle of the Bulge.

At Pickering Station, platform 2 is for re-enactors only, and platform 1 for the general public who are viewing or travelling to Le-Visham, Grosmont, Goathland, or Whitby. There will be special events in the station car park, including a war time theatre. There will be no parking in town, so anyone intending to visit should head for the park & drive field along the Malton-Pickering road. Accommodation will most likely be already booked up in Pickering, but there are hotels, B&B's, and camping and caravan sites within easy reach, in the Malton, Helmsley and Thornton-le-Dale area's. Also pods and chalets at 'American Fields' in Beadlam.

The atmosphere is fantastic, and the War Weekend is well worth a visit.

My blog: http://jackiesrandompics.blogspot.co.uk
I have not blogged for a long time, so you won't have far to scroll, just one or two blogs down.
http://www.nymr.co.uk/wartime/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good
If I can get off work I might pop over fro Manchester on my Bike

Back