Operation Motorman

T

the black pig

Anybody involved in Operation Motorman ?
I served on HMS Fearless when we took the tanks into 'derry to take out the barricades. Can't remember the exact year , early '70s

I wasnt involved but Op Motorman was 31 july 1972.
It involved the British Army entering No-Go Areas established in Belfast and Londonderry as a result of internment the previous year.

It was a success.
21000 troops being deployed in the province at the time.

Operaion Motorman

As an aside , it was the only time I came under fire. Not strictly true , as we came alongside in derry , somebody from the opened up with a rifle.. against an 11000 ton warship !!!!!

Re: Operaion Motorman

the black pig said:
As an aside , it was the only time I came under fire. Not strictly true , as we came alongside in derry , somebody from the opened up with a rifle.. against an 11000 ton warship !!!!!

You must have crapped yourself box; :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Par for the course! I only learnt about Motorman on my EPC (Easily Passed Course!)

Was there for the clearing of the roadblocks. They were not pleased to see us. Those in the Creggan area threw everything at us including bed ends. Happy days. ;)

Was billeted on H.M.S. Rame Head for 6 weeks.

I was part of the RN crew, that was towed out to N.I, and moored at Fort George. 6 months stint.

I missed Motorman by a few months but we were still picking up the pieces from that operation even then. It was a bad time. The time of the cowboy.

I too had 6 weeks on the Rame head... great to have a steak sandwich after a patrol instead of an egg banjo! (2 Queens).. was also at the Knicker Factory and Piggery Ridge and a school that I cant remember the name of... any clues?

I know the reply is late but I have had a rough time health wise.
Hi Chad, were you in 2 Queens or attached? I was Reme attached.
The school was St Joseph's in the Creggan Estate. We were asked to leave because of the damage caused to the school during our brief time there.

Bloody Friday

My dad was involved with OP Motorman He Was a Member of 3 Tank Transporter RCT Based over in BAOR The Armoured Engineers Was Also based over in BAOR And Was A Big And Secretive Operation Getting The Beasts Ready To Enter Derry They was on board Ships That Sailed Across From Glasgow The Clyde The Struggle Was How Would They Land Them in Ireland They Did Manage to overcome As The British Army are good at that sort of thing they smashed threw them barricades and served there Purpose when the Armoured Vehicles made it back there was a surprise waiting it was a Arm Ripped Clean Off From the Shoulder Who ever Said Paddy's Are Armless Must Of Been Correct Ive read lots of bits an Bats About This Operation And to this day No Real Credit has ever been given one of many Successful operations our Armed Forces have Endured

ex private bertie auld

Anybody involved in Operation Motorman ?
I served on HMS Fearless when we took the tanks into 'derry to take out the barricades. Can't remember the exact year , early '70s

hi i was on the londonderry part of motorman called op jumbo we had dozens of saracens backed up by 3 royal enginers demolition tanks we took the cregan and part of the bogside the year was 1972 and the operation was a direct result of bloody friday in belfast i served in the royal scots we had the 13/21 lancers to drive the saracens it was scary

Was there as well. Served in the Royal Scots. Was on the reece the night before.
It was 31st July/1st August 1972.

I am currently in the process of making a film about OPERATION MOTORMAN for UTV (the ITV station over here)

We are trying to get it ready in time for the 40th anniversary in July this year

If anyone on here would like to take part and/ or has any photos of that period would they please get in touch with me asap?

My email is *info@northlandbroadcast.net* (without the *)

Regards for now

Vinny Cunningham
OPEN REEL PRODUCTIONS LTD

johno

I was with two queens at pigery ridge in 72 four on two off it was hell on earth one beer a week one day of but you know what id do it all again.
We were on a four month tour I SPENT MY 21ST BIRTHDAY in a bloody sanger ovrlooking the creggan estate and all christmas and new year I could hear the peaple hooting there car horns to welcome the new year that was a hell of a tour I like to think it was worth it though
Went to bessbrooke the next tour emergency cover south Armough sorry my spelling is dredful
But yes I still remember egg bajos cos we had no time for anything else needed our sleep before the next patrol.