Quiz Not quite Military...

Paul

Mi Private
MI.Net Member
Not quite a military question, but it's a good brain teaser..

3 soldiers go to a hotel and pay £30 for a room. Later, the manager realises the room is actually £25, so sends the porter with five £1 coins to refund the 3 soldiers

On the way, the porter decideds to tip himself £2, leaving £3 left, which he gives the three soldiers

In a nutshell, the 3 soldiers paid £10 each and recieved £1 back, effectively paying £9 each for the room (a total of £27) and the porter took £2.

£27 plus £2 = £29. Where is the remaining £1??

I'll give the answer sometime soon if no one works it out. ;)

Yep your right its not AT ALL a military question however, I will let you off this ONCE as it is quite good.
Perhaps you could have circumvented the problem by giving your question a military theme??, just a thought. :mrgreen:

eureka!!

A thought provoking question. Here are my explainations ---

The actual price of the room is £25.

Originally:
Original expense of the 3 men = £30
Money taken by ballboy = £5
Actual price of room = £30 - £5
= £25

After clerk felt guilty:
Original expense of 3 men = £27
Money taken by bellboy = £2
Actual price of room = £27 - £2
= £25

As you can see, there is actaully no extra dollar at all. The sum of the expense of 3 men after the clerk felt guilty and the money taken by bellboy suggested nothing at all. The nature of the question and the numerous sequence of events dupe us into believing that the sum is related to the original expense. After the numbers are displayed in numerical order, we would be able to comprehend the event.

Google is such a useful invention..

Correct it's a play on words. :evil:

Yes I googled you bad Mr :D :shock:

This is the answer I gave on a car forum. When I was asked the answer.

A pound only goes "missing" because the statement "each man paid £9 for the room" is wrong.each of three men paid out a total of £9, but that £9 included both the room charge and the porters tip, each man paid out a total of £9 and had £1 left over, completely making ip fr the 30 pound they started wit.

The room cost £25, so each man paid one-third of that cost (£8.33). The bellboy kept a tip of £2, so each man paid one-third of that cost (£0.67) as well. Overall, each man paid out £9 (£8.33 + £0.67) and had apound left over: (3 x £9) + (3 x £1) = £27 + £3 = £30.