Photos Navies Of All Nations

Goiás (S-15), ex. USN Balao (Guppy III)-class USS Trumpetfish (SS-425)



USS Trumpetfish (SS-425) was laid down on 23 August 1943 as yard no. 559 at William Cramp and Co. Shipbuilding Co, Philadelphia, PA., launched on 13 May 1945 and commissioned on 29 January 1946.

Trumpetfish was decommissioned on 15 October 1973 and sold to Brazil, where she was commissioned into the Brazilian Navy as Goiás (S-15) and finally stricken on 16 April 1990.

Goiás served for sixteen years, six months and one day in the Brazilian Navy, reached the milestones of 91,227.6 miles sailed, 9,581.2 hours of submersion, 759.5 days at sea and launched 22 torpedoes.
USS Constitution (44) vs HMS Guerriere (38) in action on the 19th of August, 1812, by Tom Freeman.

During the afternoon of 19 August 1812, about 400 miles (640 km) southeast of Halifax, Nova Scotia, a sail was sighted on the weather beam bearing down on them. She was soon made out to be a man-of-war and Guerriere prepared for action, mustering 244 men and 19 boys at quarters. When the enemy hoisted American colours, Captain Dacres permitted the Americans in his crew to quit their guns.

The two ships exchanged broadsides for half an hour before the American ship closed her starboard beam and sent HMS Guerriere's mizzen mast overboard. Switching to the other bow, the American ship raked HMS Guerriere, which included sweeping her decks with grapeshot and musket fire, and then attempted to board. Samuel Grant, master's mate commanding the forecastle, was badly wounded and at about the same time Robert Scott, the master, was shot through the knee and the Captain severely wounded. Captain Dacres ordered Lieutenant Bartholomew Kent to lead the marines and boarders from the main deck towards the forecastle but the two ships parting at that moment meant that they were able to bring some of the bow guns to bear on the Constitution. William J. Snow, master's mate, commanded the fore-most main deck guns and John Garby, acting purser, the after quarter-deck guns.

The two ships were clear of each other when Guerriere's fore and main-masts went over the side, leaving her an unmanageable wreck. The crew managed to clear the debris, but while they were rolling enough to put the main deck guns under water, the American ship came within pistol range to rake them. At this point, Captain Dacres called his remaining officers together and they agreed to strike the colours to avoid further loss of life. Fifteen men had been killed, including the second lieutenant, Mr Henry Ready; six were mortally wounded, 39 severely and eighteen slightly. Lieutenant Kent was wounded by a splinter early on.

They found that the enemy was the heavy frigate USS Constitution under Captain Isaac Hull armed with thirty 24-pounders on the main deck, twenty-four 32-pounders and two bored out 18-pounders on the upper deck. Out of 476 men, nine were killed and thirteen were wounded. Captain Dacres was surprised and shocked to find a large proportion of British seamen amongst her crew, a number of whom had joined in the boarding party.

Hull wanted to take Guerriere as a prize but by the next morning it was clear that the ship was too badly damaged to salvage. The next day, she was set on fire by her captors; Constitution returned to Boston, Massachusetts. Dacres wrote a report of the action to the commander of the North American Station, Vice-Admiral Herbert Sawyer. A court-martial was held on board HMS Africa at Halifax on 2 October. It found that Captain Dacres was justified in surrendering his ship to save the lives of his remaining crew. The court also found that the masts going overboard was due more to their defective nature than the fire of the enemy.
Lead ship of her class HMS Queen Elizabeth in her light Mediterranean grey, early 1910s

Indefatigable-class battlecruiser HMS New Zealand gets some high ranking visitors, circa 1912. Middle, second row, is King George V. On his left is the First Sea Lord, Winston Churchill. Third in from the left, also second row, is the Second Sea Lord, Sir John Jellicoe (later commander of the Grand Fleet at Jutland).

Battleship HMS Canada and a K-Class submarine, date unknown but probably post WW1.
Last edited:
HMS Victory at the Portsmouth Dockyard, late 1880s. At this time, Victory was in a configuration that reflected the needs of the six decades of harbour service she had been used for, and was in a rather poor state of repair. The decision to restore her to her Trafalgar configuration was made in 1920, and began when she was permanently drydocked to begin repairing the damage caused by a century of neglect in 1922, a gradual process that would not be completed until 2005.

The issue with a ship like Victory is you can patch her up and make her look pretty, but if the bones go rotten underneath, she can be lost very quickly.
The "Big Repair" (current)
After they stabilised her with the new cradle, they found a pressing number of issues that needed to be addressed with her structural ribbing; an area that hasn’t been exposed or worked on in any major capacity in centuries. So, they’ve peeled her skin off and they’re reinforcing, replacing and rejuvenating her skeleton.

In addition to this, her main mast, which is actually iron and taken off a later, now scrapped Royal Navy warship; was found to be simultaneously at risk of snapping in half due to lack of maintenance, and of falling through the deck as it’s increased weight put strain on the main deck structure.

Whilst that sounds awful, she’s not bad off for a 245 year old lass. With this long overhaul complete, she’ll be in arguably better shape than she was when she sailed for Trafalgar.
Mothballed Fletcher class destroyers at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, circa 1970
Amphibious assault ship USS Peleliu (LHA 5) enters Pearl Harbor for a short port visit. 29 August 2003

An MH-60S Seahawk approaches the Sacramento-class fast combat support ship USS Detroit (AOE-4) 29 August 2003
Last edited:
Coastal defence battleship HDMS Peder Skram and a torpedo boat scuttled in Copenhagen harbour to prevent them from being used by the Germans. 29 August 1943

Training ship HDMS Niels Juel under attack from German aircraft during a failed escape attempt to Swedish waters. 29 August 1943

Following increasing Danish resistance to German rule and the institution of martial law on 28 August 1943, the German army moved to seize the Danish fleet in Copenhagen harbour the following morning, an action codenamed Operation Safari. Niels Juel was in Holbæk when her captain, Commander Carl Westermann, was ordered take his ship to be interned in Sweden. The Germans spotted her after she raised steam and departed. Before the ship could exit the Isefjord, Westermann was informed that the Germans had claimed they had mined the exit, and he spotted three German ships in the distance, the torpedo boat T17 and two E-boats. German aircraft attacked the ship with bombs and by strafing. None of the bombs hit Niels Juel, but shock damage from near misses knocked out electrical power and deformed some of the hull plating and bulkheads. Realising there was little hope of reaching Sweden, Westermann decided to run the ship aground near Nykøbing Sjælland. The crew then tried to scuttle the ship, but an initial attempt to blow up the ship failed. The crew settled for flooding the magazine, opening the sea-cocks to flood the rest of the hull as well as systematically destroying the equipment before the Germans could take over the ship.

A Danish salvage company inspected the grounded ship a few days later and did not see any damage to the hull, rudder or propellers, but noted that the ship was flooded with water up to a height of 1.5 meters (4 ft 11 in) below the armoured deck. The Germans used a German company to salvage the ship in October and towed it to Kiel, Germany, for repair. She was disarmed, renamed Nordland, and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine in September 1944 after which she became a stationary training ship
Last edited:
Seaplane carrier IJN Chitose in 1938

Chitose in 1944 after her conversion into a light aircraft carrier

At the Battle of Leyte Gulf began on 23 October 1944, and on the afternoon of 24 October American aircraft located Ozawa's force in the Philippine Sea off Luzon's Cape Engaño. Around dawn on 25 October, the Battle off Cape Engaño — one of several actions making up the Battle of Leyte Gulf — began when Ozawa launched a small airstrike against Task Force 38, suffering heavy losses and accomplished nothing

Task Force 38 counterattacked with a series of large, punishing airstrikes. During the first strike, Chitose was targeted by planes from the aircraft carrier USS Essex (CV-9). At 08:35, a line of three large explosions — either torpedo hits or near-misses by bombs — took place on Chitose′s port side forward of the Number 1 aircraft elevator. Boiler rooms 2 and 4 flooded, and Chitose immediately took on a 30-degree list and suffered rudder failure. Her crew succeeded in reducing the list to 15 degrees, but by 08:55 further flooding had increased it to 20 degrees. At 08:55, Chitose′s forward starboard engine room flooded, cutting her speed to 14 knots (26 km/h; 16 mph), and her speed subsequently fell further when her after starboard engine failed. When the after port engine room flooded at 09:25, Chitose went dead in the water, and her list grew to 30 degrees. The light cruiser Isuzu attempted to close with her and take her in tow, but it proved impossible.

At 09:37, an hour after her initial wounds, in the Philippine Sea, Chitose capsized to port and nosed under, with the loss of 904 men. Isuzu rescued 480 survivors, and the destroyer Shimotsuki rescued 121
Ironclad battleship HMS Victoria sinking after her collision with Admiralty class ironclad battleship HMS Camperdown in 1893.On 22 June 1893, she collided with HMS Camperdown near Tripoli, Lebanon, during manoeuvres and quickly sank, killing 358 crew members, including the commander of the British Mediterranean Fleet
Italy & RN:
Left to right: the battleships Italia and Vittorio Veneto, the cruisers Luigi Cadorna and Raimondo Montecuccoli, the destroyer Nicoloso da Recco, and the cruisers Eugenio di Savoia and Emanuele Filiberto Duca d'Aosta sailing from Malta to Alexandria seen from HMS King George V, 14 September 1943
Battleship Lorraine leaving Alexandria Harbor, 23 June 1943
Berlin-class replenishment ship, Frankfurt am Main (A1412), and a F125 Baden-Württemberg-class frigate, in port in the early morning hours, Germany, August 29th, 2023
Australia, Japan & USN:
A Royal Australian Air Force F-35A flies over JS Izumo, with USS Mobile (LCS 26) in the background. Off the coast of the Philippines, Aug 24 2023 during Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2023.
Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John Finn (DDG 113) transits from Dutch Harbor after a logistical fuel stop, Alaska, August 5, 2023

San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS Mesa Verde (LPD-19) in Dublin, Ireland. 25th Aug 2023


Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG 60), Aksaz Naval Base, Turkey, Aug. 26, 2023

America-class amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) in Manila, Philippines. August 27, 2023

Sailors assigned to guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) prepare to deploy a search and rescue swimmer during a man overboard drill in the Gulf of Oman, Aug. 28, 2023.
Last edited:
USS Yorktown (CV-10), a "Bull's-eye" is scored by a bomber pilot, on a target sled towed astern of the carrier, during bombing practice, circa mid-1943.
USS Brooklyn (Armored Cruiser # 3) in New York Harbor during the Spanish-American War victory naval review, August 1898.
Zara class heavy cruiser Gorizia during 1935 while in the Suez Canal.

Adua-class submarine Uarsciek, 1930s
Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth-class battleship HMS Valiant at anchor in 1943.
Training Squadron visit to Unalaska, Alaska, June 2023
Project 20380/Steregushchiy class corvette Sovershennyy conducting flight operations while off the coast of Kauai, Hawaii in May 2020