Photos Navies Of All Nations

Civilians visiting Project 949A Antey (NATO Oscar II) class SSGN "Chelyabinsk" (K-442), currently undergoing repairs at Zvezda Shipyard, March 2023



Modernized Project 971M (also Project 09717) Shchuka-B (NATO Akula) class SSN "Leopard" (K-238) is scheduled to return to the Northern Fleet by December 2023.
Sauro-class Leonardo da Vinci (S 520) being launched in 1979
U-68 on a rescue mission after the sinking of Raider Atlantis. Due to lack of space, the crew of the Atlantis is on the deck casing. November 22, 1941.


U-126 initially rescued the crew and brought them to the supply ship Python. On 1 December this ship was resupplying UA and U-68 with fuel and torpedoes when light cruiser HMS Dorsetshire appeared: the submarines cast off while Python was scuttled. UA and U-68 eventually resurfaced to take survivors aboard and lifeboats in tow (five boats each), with the Atlantis CO coming aboard U-68. Over the next few days they coordinated with other boats to spread out the survivors.

U-801 sinking with its bow high, some 550 kmest of Santo Antão island, Cape Verde, on 17 March 1944. USN destroyer USS Corry (DD-463) is coming up at right. The submarine was heavily damaged by aircraft and surface ships of Task Group 21.

Sunk on 17 March 1944 in the Atlantic west of the Cape Verde Islands, in position 16.42N, 30.28W, by a Fido homing torpedo from two Avenger and a Wildcat aircraft (VC-6 USN) of the US escort carrier USS Block Island and depth charges and gunfire from the US destroyer USS Corry and the US destroyer escort USS Bronstein. 10 dead and 47 survivors.
A Soryu-class (foreground) and an Oyashio-class (background) submarine at Yokosuka. Submarine rescue ship JS Chiyoda (ASR-404) in the foreground
Javelin or J-class destroyer HMS Janus (F-53) underway on contractor's sea trials, Aug 5, 1939

Hawkins-class heavy cruiser HMS Effingham, photographed during the Norwegian Campaign in May, 1940. She would sink two days later after hitting an underwater rock while approaching Bodø through a narrow channel. There were no casualties among the crew.

On board the Submarine Depot Ship HMS Forth, Holy Loch, Scotland, 1942 An O (Odin) class submarine, possibly HMS Otway

Twin 6-pounder (57mm) guns on Scott class destroyer leader HMS Mackay. One of just seven destroyers to be armed with this weapon in WW2, replacing one of their 4.7 inch mounts. Specifically for use against E-Boats

15inch gun monitor HMS Erebus

One of a class of two shore bombardment ships (with sister HMS Terror). Completed 1916. 8,400t, 2x15in, 2x6in and 4x3in guns. Hull form and slow speed made handling difficult, but not as bad as previous classes of monitors. Served with Dover Patrol during Great War. Laid up in reserve during Interwar Period and re-activated on outbreak of WW2. Armament altered with addition of 8x4in AA guns. Served in Mediterranean, where HMS Terror was sunk in Benghazi harbor by German aircraft. Erebus later provided fire support for the Normandy Invasion. She was paid off soon after the end of the war and scrapped in 1946.
Last edited:
Ex USS Ticonderoga (CG-47) arrives at Brownsville, Texas, for scrapping, September 2020

MEDITERRANIAN SEA (Jan. 15, 2023) Two F/A-18F Super Hornets, attached to Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 103, perform a fly by of the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Bulkeley (DDG 84) during VFA-103’s change of command ceremony

Japanese sailors visit USS Oakland (LCS 24) at Changi naval base, Singapore. February 7, 2023

Wasp class amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD 2) conducts a maintenance period in San Diego to upgrade and refurbish many key systems aboard, Feb. 28, 2023.

USS Nimitz (CVN-68) alongside Lewis and Clark-class dry cargo ship USNS Carl Brashear (T-AKE-7) for UNREP. 2023
Last edited:
Pre-dreadnought battleship USS Texas underway and looking pretty at high speed to dry the hanging laundry sometime between 1895 and 1901.

Re-gunning the USS Indiana (BB-1) at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, June 20, 1904
Battlecruiser SMS Seydlitz in port for repairs after the Battle of Jutland. Photographed after the guns had been removed from her forward gun turret. Note her list to port and the nearly submerged condition of her bow. June 1916

Bayern-class dreadnought battleship SMS Baden docked and likely undergoing some kind of maintenance after March 17th, 1917. The ship flies Admiral Hipper’s flag as the current flagship of the High Seas Fleet. A newer type of light cruiser is being repaired in the foreground
Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer USS Collett (DD-730) in port, following her 19 July 1960 collision with Fletcher-class destroyer USS Ammen (DD-527). 11killed and 20 injured, all members of Ammen's crew.

USS Enterprise (CVN-65) running at high speed, during trials, about a month before commissioning, Oct 30, 1961
France & Italy:
Aquitaine-class FREMM frigate Auvergne (D654) (background) and Bergamini class FREMM frigate Fasan (F591) (foreground). 2020
Light cruiser Raimondo Montecuccoli (C552), after its major refit (concluded in 1954) into a training ship
Commissioning of battleship Roma, 14 June 1942.
New Zealand:
Replenishment oiler HMNZS Aotearoa (A11), Feb 2022
Aircraft carrier Liaoning (CV-16) currently undergoing routine maintenance at Dalian shipyard. 2023

Four Type 055 destroyers (or approximately 448 floating VLSs) resting at Yulin Naval Base 2023
The 4th Mogami-class frigate JS MIKUMA (FFM-4) commissioned. March 7, 2023



Pilo class destroyer Simone Schiaffino, during World War I

Armoured cruiser San Giorgio in 1923
Last edited:
New Orleans-class cruiser USS Tuscaloosa (CA-37) view of starboard accommodation ladder, showing president's boat coming alongside. Taken during the Presidential Cruise of Franklin D. Roosevelt, in early 1940.

Casablanca-class escort carrier USS Ommaney Bay (CVE-79) on fire, following a kamikaze attack on 4 January 1945. The destroyer Patterson (DD-392) is manoeuvring to attempt to extinguish the flames. Photographed from the battleship West Virginia (BB-48).



On the afternoon of 4 January 1945, she was transiting the Sulu Sea, to the west of the Philippines. At 17:00, approximately 15 Japanese planes were picked up on radar, 45 miles (72 km) west of the task group, and approaching quickly. These planes split into two groups, one group heading towards the rear of the task group, whilst the other continued on its course towards the centre. Although fighters from the carrier group were scrambled, false radar signals hampered their efforts to intercept, and the only successful interception was when P-47 fighters intercepted two enemy planes, shooting down one. The other plane escaped, and is believed to be the kamikaze which would attack Ommaney Bay. This successful intercept was not reported back to command, nor was the fact that the plane which escaped was being herded towards the carrier group. At 17:12, a Yokosuka P1Y penetrated the screen undetected and made for Ommaney Bay, approaching directly towards the ship's bow. Captain Young later reported that the kamikaze's approach was concealed by the blinding glare of the sun.

Captain Young, acutely aware of the kamikaze threat, had assigned multiple lookouts throughout the carrier's deck. At the time of the attack, ten lookouts were assigned, along with an additional lookout located on the signal platform, equipped with Polaroid glasses. Additionally, a lack of radar signals had led the task group to believe that the Japanese planes had withdrawn, and the kamikaze attack took the lookouts by complete surprise. New Mexico was only able to respond with inaccurate anti-aircraft fire, whilst Ommaney Bay was unable to react at all. The plane sliced across the superstructure with its wing, collapsing it onto the flight deck. It then veered into her flight deck on the forward starboard side. Two bombs were released; one of them penetrated the flight deck and detonated below, setting off a series of explosions among the fully gassed planes on the forward third of the hangar deck, near the No. 1 boiler uptakes. The second bomb passed through the hangar deck, ruptured the fire main on the second deck, and exploded near the starboard side. A TBM torpedo bomber had been hit by the kamikaze's wreckage, sparking a fire which consumed the aft of the flight deck. Water pressure forward was lost immediately, along with power and bridge communications. An oil tank may have been breached, contributing to the fire, as the smoke was noted as looking "oily".

Men struggling with the terrific blazes on the hangar deck soon had to abandon it because of the heavy black smoke from the burning planes and exploding .50 calibre ammunition. Destroyer escorts found it difficult to assist Ommaney Bay, because of the intense heat, the ammunition going off, and the real possibility that a catastrophic detonation could be triggered by the blaze. The destroyer Bell, attempting to manoeuvre into a position to fight the fires, collided with the carrier, damaging her port bridge wing. At 17:45, wounded crew began to be taken off the ship, and by 17:50 the entire topside area had become untenable. In addition, the stored torpedo warheads threatened to detonate at any time. The order to abandon ship was given. At 18:12, Captain Young was the last man to evacuate the burning wreck. At 18:18, the torpedoes stored in the aft end of the ship finally detonated, collapsing the flight deck and launching debris onto the destroyers who were rescuing survivors. Two crewmen from the Eichenberger aboard a motor whaleboat were struck and killed by airborne debris.

At 19:58 the carrier was scuttled by a torpedo from the destroyer Burns, under orders from Admiral Jesse B. Oldendorf. A total of 95 Navy men were lost, and 65 men were wounded, including the two killed from Eichenberger. On 6 January and on 9 January, Columbia was struck by kamikaze attacks, killing seven survivors rescued from Ommaney Bay.
Last edited:
Saudi Arabia:
Al Jubail-class corvette RSNF Hail (832) coming into Cartagena, Spain - March 5, 2023
Arrogant class second class protected cruiser HMS Gladiator, after she collided with the US steamer SS Saint Paul on 25 April 1908


During a late snowstorm off the Isle of Wight on 25 April 1908, Gladiator was heading into port when she struck the outbound American steamer SS Saint Paul. Visibility was down to 800 yd (730 m), but the strong tides and gale force winds required both ships to maintain high speeds to maintain steerage.

Lookouts on each vessel saw the approaching danger off Hurst Point. The American ship attempted to pass to the port side, the standard procedure in such a situation. Lacking room for the manoeuvre, Captain William Lumsden choose to turn the opposite direction, ensuring a collision. Both ships attempted to slow but both were exceptionally heavy (Saint Paul was built for conversion in wartime to a cruiser). They hit at about 3 knots (5.6 km/h; 3.5 mph). Saint Paul struck Gladiator just aft of her engine room.

The glancing blow ripped open the sides of both ships. The British warship foundered at once, or beached off Black Rock Buoy, off the Isle of Wight, while the American was able to remain afloat and launch lifeboats. Several men were also saved by Royal Engineers from nearby Fort Victoria. A total of 28 sailors were lost, but only three bodies were recovered.

Gladiator settled on her starboard side in shallow water close to Fort Victoria. Salvage work began almost at once, but it took over five months to right the ship, re-float it and tow it back to Portsmouth. The operation cost £64,000 pounds and a further £500 to make the ship seaworthy, but as the ship's design was considered obsolete, she was scrapped rather than repaired. Gladiator was sold to a Dutch firm for only £15,000.[2]

A court of inquiry reprimanded Captain Lumsden in July 1908, but held Saint Paul responsible for the collision. However, when the Admiralty sued the owners of the liner, a high court held Gladiator responsible