Photos Navies Of All Nations

Anti-submarine warfare Task Group Bravo in 1961. Identifiable is the aircraft carrier USS Wasp (CVS-18) and the destroyer USS Robert A. Owens (DD-827), leading the formation. The four destroyers were from Destroyer Squadron 36.

Nuclear powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN-68) under construction at Newport News Shipbuilding circa 1970
D-Day 6/6/44:
USS Nevada fires at targets on Utah

An LCVP manned by the USCG transports soldiers ashore


  • r6wvltmf5p371.png
    428.1 KB · Views: 50
D-Day, Battleship Texas (BB-35) began to take part in the liberation of western Europe

Normandy Invasion, U.S. Navy Ships, June 1944. USS Augusta (CA-31) off French Invasion coast, probably Omaha Beach, during landing operations. Small landing craft speeding toward shore. Photographed released 12 June 1944. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives. (2014/9/9). 80-G-45720.

Heavy cruiser USS Alaska (CB-1) underway on September 1944
A RAAF Sunderland flying boat under tow by the Free French destroyer La Combattante (ex-HMS Haldon), Bay of Biscay, May 5th 1943

The 15-inch / 380mm guns of the battleship Richelieu, Mers-el-Kebir, October 1943

A dive-bomber flies low over battleship Richelieu during an exercise, December 1943

Free French frigate L'Aventure (ex-HMS Braid) in 1944-1945, she served as an escort for American transports heading for Omaha Beach and provided shore bombardment on D-Day
Project 1164 Atlant (NATO Slava class) Marshal Ustinov, July 28, 2017

Project 1155.1 Fregat-M, (NATO Udaloy II class) destroyer 'Admiral Chabanenko' stuck at Zvedochka Ship Repair Yard, Murmansk, undergoing repairs since 2012

Laid up to be repaired, planned to return to service with the Northern Fleet by 2023


Current state, April 2021 with a long way to go.

Project 1155 Fregat, (NATO Udaloy class) destroyer 'Marshal Shaposhnikov' undergoing overhaul at Dalzavod ship repair yard, Vladivostok. Pictured are the turbines, AK-100 gun and Rastrub missile launchers

Upgrades will include replacing the Rastrub-B missiles with 3S24 angling launchers fitted with four containers using the 3M24 anti-ship missile, and two 3S14-1155 universal VLS with 16 cells for Kalibr land attack, anti-ship, and anti-submarine cruise missiles in place of one of the AK-100 guns
Marshal Shaposhnikov returned to the Pacific Fleet on 27 April 2021 post-refit
Last edited:
The Battle for Fox Green Beach. Watercolor by Navy Combat Artist Dwight Shepler, 1944, showing USS Emmons (DD-457) bombarding in support of the Omaha Beach landings, on D-Day of the Normandy invasion, 6 June 1944. Courtesy of the U.S. Navy Art Collection, Washington, D.C. Official U.S. Navy Photograph. Catalog #: KN-570
USS Brooklyn (CL-40) underway at sea, 15 May 1943. Photographed from an aircraft based as Naval Air Station Weeksville, North Carolina. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.
USS Lexington (CV-2) photographed from a USAAC plane on 8 May 1930.
Imperial Japan:
Yūgumo-class destroyer Hamanami 10 October 1943, while running trials

On 11 November 1944, Hamanami was escorting troop convoy TA No. 3 from Manila, Philippines to Ormoc. She was sunk by aircraft of Task Force 38 in Ormoc Bay, west of Leyte (10°50′N 124°35′ECoordinates:
10°50′N 124°35′E), with 63 killed and 42 injured. The destroyer Asashimo rescued 167 survivors, including ComDesDiv 32 (Captain Oshima Ichitaro) and Commander Motokura. Three transports and their escorts, Shimakaze, Wakatsuki and Naganami, all went down with Hamanami.
Submarine Luigi Torelli beached near the harbour of Santander (Spain), on 8 June 1942

The Luigi Torelli left the advanced base of La Pallice (France) on the afternoon of 2 June 1942, for a patrol in American waters. On the night between 3 and 4 June, she had the misfortune of becoming the first Axis submarine targeted by aircrafts using the Leigh Light, that allowed the crew to illuminate a submarine whose presence had been signalled by radar.

A Vickers Wellington of the 172nd Squadron (ES986, called "F for Freddie") found the Italian submarine some seventy nm N of Gijon. After a first pass, in which the aircraft failed to spot the submarine, there is a discrepancy between the reports of the Italian commander and the Wellington crew: the former claimed to have thought the aircraft to be German, but had nonetheless prepared for a dive; the British airmen instead said that the submarine fired bengalas to be recognized. In any case, the second attack met its mark, and four Mk 8 depth bombs fell all around the Torelli; the lucky thing is that the bombs (three, as the fourth was a dud) did not detonate immediately, as the submarine was diving, but at a lower depth, therefore the damage was serious but not fatal. In fact, it was so serious that the dive was immediately countermanded, as diving meant no longer getting back up to the surface; in any case, the Diesel engines stopped working for lack of air, the rudder and the compass out of order, a cloud of chlorine gas in the batteries' room and a fire.

The captain ordered to make for Saint-Jean-de-Luz, as the crew worked to repair the damages; further aircrafts were seen, but the Torelli was not spotted thanks to the fog. However, having to set the course manually and the lack of proper charts led to a wrong maneuver, and the submarine ended up beaching on a reef near Capo Penas, on the Spanish coast.

The submarine was towed into the small port of Aviles, and there was brought to beach again to avoid having it founder; the Spanish authorities were asked for some days, to allow for more than emergency repairs, but on 6 June from Madrid came the order to set sail by midnight, otherwise the submarine would be interned. Therefore, at 2330h the submarine, with just enough work done to restore its buoyancy but unable to dive, left the port; as expected, the next days it was once more attacked by Allied aircrafts; the luck of the Torelli held on, but just barely, and further damage was inflicted.

It was necessary once more to double back, and on 7 June at noon the submarine reached Santander, where it was brought to beach on a shoal; despite everything, the battered boat entered with the battle flag flying and the crew (minus the losses suffered) on the deck.

Repairs began once more, helped by specialized crew sent from occupied France (some, without papers, hiding in the trunk of the car); the damage was considerable, with the batteries completely gone, the radio destroyed, and the hull seriously compromised. It took a month to put things in order somewhat. Meanwhile, at the diplomatic level, another battle was going on, with the Allies accusing Spain of too much leeway in letting a belligerent ship stay so long, and Italy pointing out that the second attack had been performed in Spanish waters.

The submarine then left with a trick. As the plan of the Spanish authorities was to tow the submarine, once out of the drydock, into the inner harbour (from where it would have been unable to leave without tugs), the captain chose to flee as soon as they were let out of the dock, on 14 July; asking to make a turn to see how the boat handled after repairs, and thus to let go of the tugs, the submarine made for the open sea, with a Spanish gunboat not opening fire, uncertain on what to do. The two Spanish officers on board, furious, were disembarked onto a fishing boat, and the Torelli made for Bordeaux as best as she could (the compass was still out of order). Protected by the dark of the night, on 15 July the battered submarine was home once again, after an epic odyssey.

As Ensign Girolamo Fantoni (later an admiral in the MMI) said, "the Torelli entered the books on the 'aircraft vs submarine' battles as the first boat to be lit up and attacked with the Leigh Light, but made all efforts to avoid the role of 'first victim' as well. And she made it."
HMS Triumph (A-108) floodlit in Rio de Janeiro Feb, 1972

Triumph was converted, between 1956 and 1965, into a heavy repair ship, emerging from the work with the pennant number "A108". Triumph was based in Singapore after her conversion, being involved in a major exercise in 1968 in the Far East, with numerous capital ships from the United Kingdom and other nations taking part, as well as dozens of destroyers and frigates. Triumph was used as a heavy repair and transport ship for troops. In 1975 she was placed in reserve[8] at Chatham Dockyard where she was used as a backdrop for the annual Navy Days, and in 1981 she was struck and subsequently scrapped in Spain.
Navy Antlantique 2 patrol aircraft flying over a Rubis-class nuclear submarine

Overseas auxiliary vessel Bougainville in French Polynesia

Battleship Roma, sometime between 1942 or in 1943 prior to 9 September 1943
Battleship Scharnhorst in Kiel harbour, before the installation of her "Atlantic bow", circa 1939

A sailor signals the battleship Bismarck from the cruiser Prinz Eugen, May 1941
Carriers Saratoga, Enterprise, Hornet, and San Jacinto, at Alameda, California, Sep 1945

PT-596 with 2 Mk 50 5-Inch MLRS launchers in 1945
HMS Prince of Wales launches an F-35B for the first time, 9th June 2021

USS New Jersey (BB-62) in San Francisco Bay to participate in the Peace in the Pacific celebration, commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the end of the War in the Pacific, 14 August 1985.

Decommissioned battleship New Jersey (BB-62) and seven decommissioned Knox class frigates tied up at the Ship Intermediate Maintenance Facility at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, WA., May 1993.
The escort destroyer HMS Badsworth coming alongside the depot ship HMS Tyne. September 1941.

Badsworth was primarily tasked with escort duty during the war, being badly damaged by mines twice in the process.
Following the second of these incidents, she was transferred to Norway as Arendal and would remain with them until she was scrapped in 1965.