Quiz Jackpot Question No. 1

1. The English Longbow

2. Because of it's extreme range, penetrative power and low cost. British archers were able to hold a defensive line whilst also taking offensive action against french mounted knights and armoured men from considerable distance <300m and more.

3. British often pre-postitioned huge stocks of bundled arrow thus enabling their archers to keep up huge rates of fire for a long period of time.

4. Amputation of the first two digits of the right hand. Hence the derisive gesticulation of sticking up stwo fingers in insult, or to show "I've still got mine".
5. Because of the large amount of time compulsorily spent in practice - every Sunday afternoon.

(I wish there was an emoticon with his tongue stuck out. )

how about these derrick tng1; tng2; blah,

If you click view more emoticons on the left, a panel will open up with loads of emoticons including these. :mrgreen:

Final attempt!

1. The English Longbow

2. Because of it's extreme range, penetrative power and low cost. British archers were able to hold a defensive line whilst also taking offensive action against french mounted knights and armoured men from considerable distance <300m and more.

3. At Crecy in 1346 it was proved beyond doubt that a mixture of archers and dismounted men could esily defeat heavily armoured cavaly - something previously thought impossible.

4. Amputation of the first two digits of the right hand. Hence the derisive gesticulation of sticking up stwo fingers in insult, or to show "I've still got mine".
5. Because of the large amount of time compulsorily spent in practice - every Sunday afternoon.

Rob, I'm not joking, you will kick yourself!!
It's only been on 1/2 a day.
The Jackpot has to be difficult, or there's no point.
Derrick

1/ The Longbow
2/ They could fire more arrows in a shorter period of time
3/ The archers shot the horses
4/ cutting off of first two fingers
5/Time ordered to practice (everyone who earned 2-5 pounds per year had to be armed with bows)

Derrick Stephenson said:
Rob, I'm not joking, you will kick yourself!!
It's only been on 1/2 a day.
The Jackpot has to be difficult, or there's no point.
Derrick

Still thinking.............maybe I'll dream the answer. laugh;

OK - been thinking - not slleping.........

1. The English Longbow

2. Because of it's extreme range, penetrative power and low cost. British archers were able to hold a defensive line whilst also taking offensive action against french mounted knights and armoured men from considerable distance <300m and more. Their rate of firing was also superior to the crossbow.

3. The longbow was vulnerable to wet weather which affected the bowstrings - this was the case at Crecy in 1346 - the bowmen used to de-string their bows and keep their strings dry inside their clothing, no re-stringing the bows until the last mnute, thus retaining their devastating effectiveness.

We have a winner.
It didn't last as long as I hoped.
Well done Highland Sniper.
Pay the Man the money Mabel, he deserves it. ( You probably don't know what I'm on about, but People my age will).
Bombardier, pay to Highland Sniper the spoils of war.
Derrick.

roc;

Well Derrick - to say that you kept my mind on overtime this evening was putting it mildly. I really had given up when I remembered the rain at Crecy from my deep and dark schooldays al of those years ago. Until then I was so convinced you had to be on about Agincourt.

Many thanks for a great contest.

:D

People, that was a close thing.
Bombardier, you nearly had us all counting flying pigs and swallows.
Well done to both of you.
Back to the drawing board for No.2, if you think it worthwhile?
Derrick.

I must admit, I was thinking Agincourt all along, sneaky me Derrick.
Well I calculate the "spoils of war" to be 340 milcreds, so here ya go buddy. CHERCHING!!!!!!!!!.
Well done :mrgreen:

Many thanks - now what to spend it on - any new stock in the shop?

I will sort some out today, any suggestions?