Quiz Jackpot Question No. 1

Derrick Stephenson

Major
MI.Net Member
In the 13 and 1400's A.D., a SPECIFIC weapon became the scourge of Europe.

1) What was it?
2) In general, why were they so successful?
3) What simple ploy helped them to win major battles, one in particular?
4) What was the normal minimum punishment for a captured user?
5) Why was it so unpopular with the civilian population of its home country?

That's it People, before posting any answers, please recheck the rules in the Open Forum, particularly re. payment - do NOT credit any Milcreds to me!!!
Best of luck.
Derrick.

OK Derrick, in for a penny, in for a pound...........or whatrever that is in Milcreds.

Here goes.................

1. The English Longbow

2. Because of it's extreme range, penetrative power and low cost.

3. At Agincourt in particular, British archers were able to hold a defensive line whilst also taking offensive action against french mounted knights and armoured men from considerable distance <300m and more.

4. Amputation of the first two digits of the right hand. Hence the derisive gesticulation of sticking up stwo fingers in insult, or to show "I've still got mine".
5. Because of the large amount of time compulsorily spent in practice - every Sunday afternoon.

5) because of the Duty on imported wine to pay for the staves used to make the bow's

Highland Sniper, partially correct.
Drone_Pilot, you must answer all parts of the question.
Derrick.

1/ The Longbow
2/Longer range
3/ Firing the older bows first (shorter range) then firing the longbows
4/ cutting off of first two fingers
5/Time ordered to practice (everyone who earned 2-5 pounds per year had to be armed with bows)

1. The English Longbow

2. Because of it's extreme range, penetrative power and low cost. British archers were able to hold a defensive line whilst also taking offensive action against french mounted knights and armoured men from considerable distance <300m and more.

3. At Agincourt in particular, British archers formed a solid defensive line by setting up an impenetrable barrier of sharpened staked though which the heavily aromured Fench cavaly could not pass. In many cases the French were stopped in their tracks well before the British line.

4. Amputation of the first two digits of the right hand. Hence the derisive gesticulation of sticking up stwo fingers in insult, or to show "I've still got mine".
5. Because of the large amount of time compulsorily spent in practice - every Sunday afternoon.

prize update. 180 milcreds in the pot

N.B. My second entry (above) - answer 3 should read Stakes, not staked.

Bombardier - can we please have the edit facility enabled in this section, it's a real pain not being able to correct an error.

Bombardier - can we please have the edit facility enabled in this section, it's a real pain not being able to correct an error.

Tis done buddy :cool:

1. The English Longbow

2. Because of it's extreme range, penetrative power and low cost. British archers were able to fire extemely quickly getting off several arrows per minute thus sending a huge killing cloud toward the enemy.

3. At Agincourt in particular, British archers formed a solid defensive line by setting up an impenetrable barrier of sharpened staked though which the heavily aromured Fench cavaly could not pass. In many cases the French were stopped in their tracks well before the British line. The very presence of British Archers was a deterrent in itself, such was their killing power.

1/ The Longbow
2/ They could fire more arrows in a shorter period of time
3/ defensive line of sharpened stakes
5/Time ordered to practice (everyone who earned 2-5 pounds per year had to be armed with bows)

prize update 240 milcreds in the pot :shock:

1/ The Longbow
2/ They could fire more arrows in a shorter period of time
3/ The archers advanced first and took the first shots, luring the enemy to advance first and thus into the trap

No Bombardier, you are still partially correct.
Derrick. (I wish there was an emoticon with his tongue stuck out. :D)