Question? Id A Tank?

NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
I recently found this pic on a Russian site ( I'm literate in that language) in a thread where a model Panzer III was "kitbashed" to resemble this image. In the forum discussion, the original poster thought the 3 round objects seen were acoustic artillery locators and the setup was quite uncommon in WW2.

I find nothing about it in my reference books or online. Can anyone identify this variation? SW

0000.mil2.jpg

The first question I would ask is Do we think the photo is in its original state and not edited?
If it is an original photo I doubt that they "Acoustic locators" I would imagine a device of that sort would be better served with one larger dish. Some might say that 3 dishes would be used so as to triangulate the sound but I would assume they are to close together for that to be realistic but I could be wrong.

I like mystery's like this one and so will keep digging around.

I suppose this photo could be a listening post, seems the crew have settled in for a long wait (bivi shelter to the right)
Perhaps each disc is set to different sound frequencies and they are listening for advancing armour or aircraft.

If this was an artillery fire Direction finder or locator I think for it to be affective it must be linked to two other vehicles, this would probably be too far advanced for that time ?

Of course I am just guessing though, throwing it out there if you will ;)

Maybe they are a Psychological weapon?, Speakers to encourage surrender/capitulation

Or maybe it never existed and has been Photoshopped by somebody for god only knows what reason