Intro Hello from Yorkshire

JackieSB

Mi Private
MI.Net Member
Hi,

Thank you for letting me join. I live in North Yorkshire with my husband and three cats. I served in the WRAF down in Suffolk at a RADAR station, as an Air Defence Operator 1958 and 59, otherwise known as Radar operator and Fighter Plotter.

I am very interested in Family Research, and was busy adding members to my MALLABY line, and to the Find a Grave website when I came across a bit of a puzzle that led me to this website. I had added a Francis Yeoman Mallaby and his wife Alice to the Find a Grave website, then on doing a bit of extra research found that Francis Yeoman is my 3rd Cousin, 3 times removed. He and Alice are buried at St. Paul's Church, Healey, Yorkshire, BUT his name is also on the War Memorial Cross at the Church of St. Mary, Masham, Yorkshire, not too far away from the Healey Church. Then I found a picture of it on this website, with the notation that a burial place could not be located. My Francis Yeoman was born 1891 and died 18 October 1961. Our names are not as unique as we would like to think, but our Francis Yeoman got his middle name from his paternal grandmother, her maiden name. So now I am curious, is it another man with the same name, from the same area, or my ancestor who possibly went missing, was thought killed, and then reappeared..?

I have two great uncles who died in WW1, 739114 Pte. Bernard Hall, he had emigrated to Ontario, Canada, then eventually enlisted with the 114th Canadian Brock Rangers, he was sent to France and was killed on April 9th, the first day of the Battle for Vimy Ridge. The other great uncle was Sgt. George William Selby, my father's uncle. He was badly wounded, shipped home to England and died in St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, he had earned quite a few medals which are now in my daughter's possession. I saw them on an Australian Auction site, and her husband bought them for her.

My parents separated when I was a babe in arms, during WWII, so I never got to know my father, he died in 1997 and it was then that I found out he had apparently joined the Royal Engineers and became a Paratrooper. At the time he disappeared from our lives he had been working as an aircraft engineer at De Havillands in Hatfield, Herts. I have a sneaking suspicion he ran away to join up. Unfortunately I do not have a service number for him, so I cannot check him out.

Welcome to MI.Net Jackie
That seems quite a conundrum I will make our resident expert (28th61st) aware of this , he may have some ideas that will help you.

PS Jackie could you find the photo that you refer to again and post it on this thread. Just use the thumbnail code found in the box to the right of the image and post it into a post as is.

I did a search for Francis Yeoman but found too many possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Photo of Memorial Plaque

Well I have had no luck finding that photo today, Ancestry have been working on the website for the last few days, and have well and truly screwed things up. One person has apparently lost his complete tree while trying to download and sync with his own software. I went in to mine to find a bunch of ancestors missing and several others duplicated and triplicated. After a lot of gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair, I think I have got it sorted, sort of...! Of a family of siblings with the same mother and father, all but one are 1st cousins, 5 times removed, the 'one' is 'No known relationship' - how daft is that. Grrrr.:mad:

I searched for the photo but it appears the records and 'hints' are all screwed up too, so I will try again when they stop messing about. uzi,ANCESTRY

Francis Yeoman Mallaby is NOT listed with the CWGC or UK, Army Roll of Honour, 1939-1945 as fallen.. I uploaded the war memorial inquestion onto this site but did not collated the fallen. This F Yeoman Mallaby is listed as fallen in WW2.

I would be very interested in any information relating to the person so I can now include it on the the war memorial. This is the first for me to find a person mentioned on a memorial, but died many years later. For his name to be included on the war memorial it would have come from a family member.

Hi Silky, Thank you. Yes I have used the FreeBMD site, and it is available from Ancestry. I used to transcribe for the FreeBMD some years ago, until I started having problems with my eyesight. I even had the A4 record sheets blown up to A3, but it still got to be difficult to see so I had to give up unfortunately.

Francis Yeoman Mallaby is NOT listed with the CWGC or UK, Army Roll of Honour, 1939-1945 as fallen.. I uploaded the war memorial inquestion onto this site but did not collated the fallen. This F Yeoman Mallaby is listed as fallen in WW2.

I would be very interested in any information relating to the person so I can now include it on the the war memorial. This is the first for me to find a person mentioned on a memorial, but died many years later. For his name to be included on the war memorial it would have come from a family member.

I found your photo by putting Francis Yeoman Mallaby's name in the Yahoo search box this afternoon, Ancestry is still playing up.

Also on the pages of burial plots and Inscriptions that I collected a few years ago, I had also recorded the following:

Plot 67 War Memorial Cross - 8 Panels (Outside the Church of St. Mary, Masham)
Panel 3 - In proud and grateful memory of the men of this parish who died for their country in the Great War 1914-1918
Their Name Liveth For Evermore
Panel 4 - (1917 continued) contains: PETER F. MALLABY
Panel 7 - contains: F. YEOMAN MALLABY (I did not note down a year.)

I did not record Panels 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8 as I was specifically looking for MALLABY and PYBUS names at the time. So it would appear that this FRANCIS YEOMAN MALLABY died in the Great War, not WW2. I intend to visit St. Mary's Church again as I want to photograph the Headstones for the Find a Grave Memorials, so hopefully there may be someone around that I can talk to about the two Memorials.

I am going to check my tree again as I know there were other Mallaby's who used YEOMAN as a middle name, and see what comes up.

http://www.militaryimages.net/photo...emorials/p62150-masham-ww2-roll-of-honor.html

We went back to St. Mary's, Masham, and I took photo's of the War Memorial in the church grounds. F Yeoman Mallaby is on the 1939-1945 Panel. I Spoke to a person who is a member of the church, but she knew nothing about him, her companion turned out to be descended from the Mallaby family, but she knew nothing either. The local parish record office was closed, so we are going to visit again as soon as we can, maybe the record office can throw some light on this. Obviously though, the one on the memorial is not the same person as the one who died much later,. Unfortunately this stupid tablet is playing up and not allowing me to upload the photo. Still have not got my laptop back yet.