Intro Hello from Canada

CanuckGirl

Mi Private
MI.Net Member
My name's V and I live in Halifax on the east coast of Canada. I'm not in the military but my father served in the Canadian Army and I had a cousin who served with the PPCLI and was killed in Afghanistan in 2002. I have always been a strong supporter of the troops - all all allied nations and have tremendous respect and admiration for those who do. I found this site on a random Google search while looking for photos for a FB page that I admin. Cheers to all :)

Welcome V and thanks for joining us.
I am a retired British Soldier and spent 6 months in your fine country during my service (Alberta, Medicine Hat)
I would be very interested to hear of your fathers and your cousins service. I lost my Nephew in Afghanistan in 2010 he was a Royal Marine of Charlie Company 40 Commando. I have posted many items about him and other family members here on MI.Net.

Here is a photo of Paul (my nephew)

Here is some information about my uncle who was killed in the great war 1917

And finally here is some information about my fathers two brothers who served in WW2
http://www.militaryimages.net/threads/my-uncles-in-world-war-2.5451/

i am still trying to find more information about them both.

As I said we would love to know more about your families service

All the best and look forward to hearing from you again.

Found this link to Canadian Forces lost in Afghanistan - I see a lot of troops from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry lost
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/honours-history-fallen-canadians/index.page

R.I.P brave lads & Lasses you will never be forgotten

Last edited:
Hi there V and welcome to the site.

I too spent part of my Army service (1956 to 1981) inn Suffield Park which is about 60 miles north of Medicine Hat.

My eldest daughter lives jus up the road from you in Amherst. She and her husband have been there for the last seven years.

Have a wonder through the gallery for photos and the Archives for articles.

Silky

Welcome to the site canuckGirl, I am terribly sorry for the loss of your cousin and thank him for his service.

Hi V and welcome
Yeah! another girl que;

Thank you for the warm welcome I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. My cousin was one of the first 4 Canadians killed in Afghanistan when the US dropped bombs on them. My Dad served in Egypt and Cyprus with UN Peacekeepers and was with RCEME. I am very new here and just learning how to get around the site (struggling at the moment). If I need any help I know where to go. Thanks again :)

Hi Bigbird and yes it's great to see another girl ) laugh;

Yes please do ask if you need any help.

Did a search for the incident involving your cousin and found the following

The Tarnak Farm incident refers to the killing of four Canadian soldiers and the injury of eight others from the 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group (3PPCLIBG) on the night of April 17, 2002, near Kandahar,Afghanistan.

The four killed were:

Sgt Marc D. Leger, Age: 29, from Lancaster, Ontario.
Cpl Ainsworth Dyer, Age: 24, Montreal, Quebec.
Pte Richard Green, Age: 21, Mill Cove, Nova Scotia.
Pte Nathan Lloyd Smith, Age: 27, Porters Lake, Nova Scotia.

The eight wounded men include:

Sgt Lorne Ford, Age: 33, Brampton, Ontario
Cpl René Paquette, Age: 33, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Cpl Brett Perry, Age: 26, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pte Norman Link, Age: 24, Grande Prairie, Alberta
Cpl Brian Decaire, Age: 25, Winnipeg, Manitoba
MCpl Curtis Hollister, Age: 29, Cupar, Saskatchewan
MCpl Stan Clark, Age: 35, Vancouver, British Columbia
Cpl. Shane Brennan, Age: 28, Collingwood, Ontario

I hope you dont mind me posting this information, if it upsets you I will remove it.

More information about this tragic incident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnak_Farm_incident

Hello Silky. Just up the road? Yes I suppose you could say that ;) LOL Thank you for the welcome. I've never been further out west than Manitoba - yet! I am still finding my way around and rather confused but I'll figure it out eventually :)

V

Oh wow. No I don't mind at all. Nathan Smith is my cousin. I never really knew him as he was so much younger than I but I wish I had. Brave men all, just like all the Canadians who have worn the uniform. Thank you for the post - V

nathan lloyd smith canada.jpg

Private Nathan Lloyd Smith
Regimental Number: T26 981 625
Born: Jun 28, 1975 Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
Read More .... http://www.honourthem.ca/masterDetail.cfm?ID=24

Hi V,sas here,welcome to the best Military site on the net! I am a Canadian Army Brat from Victoria BC on the big island. My Dad served in the RCDs in Gagetown NB driving Centurions.

Hi V,sorry I had to run so suddenly chow call anyways wanted to explain why it is that I have the sas monicker,I build military vehicles,over 40yrs now and now do them for
Canadian Museums in VIC.Anyways when I lived up in Prince George,central BC. I did a display for the local hobby shack.I got a call from the owner of the shop to come
over immediately,when I got there I was introduced to a gentleman who happened to be visiting his daughter in PG as well as taking in the sights of Canada.He finally
spilled it out that he would like to purchase three of my dioramas that were displayed in the store window,2 SAS jeeps and 1 LRDG truck all posed in the desert.
He then told me what he planned to do with them which was to get them plexiglassed and ship them back to the SAS Headquarters in England.At that bit of startling insight
he then told me why,he was one of the original members of the SAS fighting in North Africa,so that`s why ever since the advent of the internet I have been called sas{lower case}.

What a chance encounter and a great story. keep up the great work with models sas. wish I had your modelling skills.
I wonder if they still have them on display?

I believe they went to the SAS and the LRDG WWii Headquarters now a museum. I used to know the name of the mansion they inhabited
but the name escapes me now,this gettin older stuff is for the birds!

...unfortunately due to many new health problems I have with great sadness had to give up the hobby,it dosn`t mean that I won`t be hanging around helping all you modellers out!

...unfortunately due to many new health problems I have with great sadness had to give up the hobby,it dosn`t mean that I won`t be hanging around helping all you modellers out!
Good man