Quiz Get your own back

H

HighlandSniper58

Which aircraft - callsign Pelican - crashed on its way home to the UK a few years back?

40 Milcreds on offer to the winner.

Come on guys - this story had its own program on Discovery a few weeks back.

Still thinking!! :shock:

Was it a Chinook flying from Northern Ireland to the UK :?:

That's a negative. Wasn't the Mull of Kintyre accident.

Back to the drawing board. :?

If not answered by 18:00/18May04 I will post a clue and reduce the purse to 30 milcreds.

Nah nah ner nah nah , very childish I know but couldnt resist it laugh;

Come on guys, this aircraft was on its way to a major airshow - it made international headlines.

Im a bit confused was it on its way to an airshow or performing in the airshow?, if it was the latter it could have been either a venom or a vampire. The only other I am aware of is On 12 July two men were killed when their historic Fairey Firefly crashed at an air show at Duxford .

It was a British-built aircraft returning to the UK for the first time since delivery many years previously. It was on its way to perform at an airshow in the UK.

A Mk.IX Spitfire PL344/G-IXCC overshot the runway and nosed over at Wycombe Air Park on the 15/2/2001

Hawker Hurricaine?
On 11 September 1991, on route to the annual Jersey air display, tragedy struck. An in flight engine failure caused the pilot, Sqn Ldr Martin to divert to RAF Wittering. While still 100 feet above the ground the engine failed completely and the aircraft plummeted onto the runway performing several cartwheels before being engulfed in a horrific fire. The pilot suffered a broken ankle and burns, fortunately the aircraft came to rest on its belly and he was able to escape. :?:

Much bigger aeroplane, not quite so old (just post war), did not crash in UK.

No more clues or I'll give it away. As I said before, this was headline news when it happened in the mid-90s.

The aircraft was en-route to the International Air Tatoo when tragedy struck. The aircraft crashed in terrible conditions at night, in an awful location but there were no casualties - all were rescued.

Come on guys.............

Back