1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net
Dismiss Notice
You have been here as a guest for a while, I guess we are doing something right? Register as a member and join in the discussions, its completely free and we would welcome your contributions. All the best admin - MI.Net

Funny side of life..

Discussion in 'All other military discussion' started by ColynB, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ColynB

ColynB Mi Private MI.Net Member

Way back in Munster, West Germany around 1967 John Pearson and myself (John later became my Daughter’s God-Father) were on a bit of a binge and had gone to see a movie, had a huge helping of Bokwurst & Chips and got totally wasted in some gasthof on the way back to camp.

Yup, we lost it….The camp I mean…..Our only command of the local language was to ask for Beer, Cigs and Petrol ( the usual squaddy language)!

Anyway, after wandering around in the pitch dark trying to find our way back (the battalion had just been moved from Iserlohn). Somewhere along the way I decided that there was too much fluid in the body and my eyesight was suffering under the pressure.

While John sat on a wall, I climbed over and, passing between a couple of cars, relieved my self. Next thing I was confronted by what I thought was a donkey, until it bared it’s teeth and turned out to be a huge DOG. Quickly putting myself together I squeezed under the highest vehicle I could find with the hound from hell on my heels. There were lights everywhere by this time. I could hear people shouting and dogs barking. In the light I could see a fence that was a few meters high around 50 meters away. Being a member of HM Forces, the sprint and the climb was in a days work, or so I thought.

Mustering up the courage, I emerged from the safety of the car and made a dash for the fence. I glanced over my shoulder to see where the dog was and got glimpse of two other dogs, blue lights and people with guns!!!

That was enough to spur anyone on and I think I cleared the fence in one leap. I found a series of ditches and after about an hour ended up in an area I was familiar with. I managed to make the barrack gate, and into the guardroom, bleeding, torn clothes and covered in mud. The NCO on Duty, Sgt Flemming, took one look at me and blurted out…BROOKES are you booking in or booking out?

I do believe that John explained the situation and got a lift back to camp!

John’s number was 24048597 and after he left the Battalion he re-enlisted in the RCT. I have no idea where he went to from there. If anyone ever comes across John Pearson from Wigton say hi.

He was also there in Blackpool with Ivan Melville and myself. We were in the Tower Zoo, again under the weather, when Ivan managed to get near a Bengal Tiger.

Being one of the only South Africans in the battalion he fancied himself as an expert on big cats. He stuck his hand in the cage and slapped the Tiger. It just sat there and glared at him. The second time was the problem. After getting Ivan to Victoria Hospital they managed to insert 28 stitches from his forearm to the tip of his middle finger………

I still have a few scars to show people.

Left Cheek Bone = Pint Dimple Glass.

Left Scalp above the hairline = Lockers Steel Bedside.

Left Leg = Spiral Fracture Tib & Fib Winter Warfare Training in Austria,

Broken Middle Finger Right Hand = Cargo Net Pirbright Assault Course (Fell Off).

Memory = Scarred for LIFE (whats left of them anyway, both the Memory and the Life)!

Colyn

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
    Alice Pearson likes this.
  2. John A Silkstone United Kingdom

John A Silkstone Mi General MI.Net Member

Great story Colyn, with the dogs behind you I suppose you could call it training for the Olympics, to cover the 100 metres and the high jump.

Silky

3. ColynB

ColynB Mi Private MI.Net Member

You mean ....THE BIATHLON.......?

4. Alice Pearson United Kingdom

Alice Pearson Mi Recruit MI.Net Member

Hi this is a bit of a long shot but I think the John that you are talking about in your story is my dad . Both the army number and the dates all sound the same.