Other Post From science fiction to reality

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
There was, as most of the pioneers later agreed, no single inventor of the tank. By 1916, the constituent elements - armour plating, caterpillar tracks and the internal combustion engine - were already to hand.

As for the idea of a war machine that combined mobility with protection and firepower, this had been mooted for hundreds of years. The armoured knight of medieval times was surely, as one early tank officer remarked, a 'living tank'.

Covered war carts had been used by the Scots against the English in the mid-15th century, and Leonardo da Vinci had sketched his famous 'tank' design in the 1480s. Later centuries had seen attempts to create wind-powered 'landships' and various steam-powered contraptions.

The tanks that first saw action at the Somme in September 1916 had, to a remarkable extent, been engineered out of the cultural imagination. Tank-like machines featured in HG Wells' short story 'The Land Iron Clads', a work of science fiction first published in the 'Strand Magazine' in 1903.

It was hastily reprinted as a 'prophecy fulfilled' after tanks first went into action on the Somme. Wells' story was known to some of those who designed the first tanks, and Wells himself would be invited to inspect tanks as they emerged from a factory in Birmingham.

Another pioneer took his inspiration from the 'Great Wheel' that had been one of the main attractions at London's Earls Court a few years before the war. Indeed, Winston Churchill’s Admiralty Landships Committee, which promoted the first tank prototypes and trials, considered a proposal for a vast 300-ton vehicle that would be made by suspending a 'sort of Crystal Palace body' between three such enormous devices.

Six 'Big Wheel' landships were eventually commissioned. The idea proved wholly impractical, but the influence of the big wheel would persist in the 'creeping grip' tracks of the first tanks, which were wrapped around the entire body of the machine.

Even the tactics eventually developed for the tank seem to have been foreshadowed in poetry and magic. One of the chief tacticians with the early Tank Corps, JFC Fuller, had previously been an exponent of the poetry of Aleister Crowley, a notorious occultist known as the 'Great Beast'.

Fuller's ideas of mechanised warfare, which went on to inform the German blitzkrieg strategy of World War Two, were remarkably similar to Crowley’s 'magical' thinking in their adherence to restored mobility, their absolute hostility to ossified convention, and even in their emphasis on the ‘decisive breakthrough’.

Yeah, Science Fiction has a remarkable tendacy to become Science Fact. Example;

1. STAR TREK- Flip open communicators: Mobile Phones
2. FLASH GORDON- Ray Guns and Laser Cannons: A Successfully Test Fired Particle Beam Weapon Fired From White Sands, New Mexico at Orbitting Space Junk
3. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY- A Talking Computer That Responds To Verbal Commands: Voice Recognition Software
4. PULP SCIENCE FICTION NOVELS OF THE EARLY 20th CENTURY- Personal Computers, The Ability To Destroy An Entire City With The Push Of A Button, Robotics, Space Flight, Routine Shuttle Service To A Space Station, Trains That Operate Without An Engineer, High Speed Rail, Super Sonic Aircraft.... the list goes on and on.

Scary stuff, considering the violent trend science fiction is taking these days.

Now the Sci-Fi is rail gun tanks. And the US army is experimenting with a tank armed with a railrun, the only reason it's not in full production yet is because the tank needs to be plugged into the base's generator to power the gun.

And yes, I am the biggest fan of railguns to have ever lived.

Another type to consider

Personally, I think the idea of a multi-barrelled rotating PLASMA CANNON Tank is the way to go... imagine the effect; glowing spheres of extremely hot plasma punching through armor plate like a .44 Magnum through tissue paper!!

Now that's devastating!!!

I used the .44 Magnum image as I own one; a TAURUS Model 444 Ultra Lite MULTI, and man, is it a blast to shoot!!!solthum

I never liked the Challenger, especialy not the 2nd model, mainly based on looks. For my 2nd best it's the Leopard 2 A6.

The Leopard 2 is a great tank, visually the main difference between the A4 and A5/6 is that the A5 and A6 have additional armour added to the turret front, and on the hull and skirts. Prior to the A5 the turret had flat front turret armour as opposed to the angled armour of the A5 and 6.

As a footnote I m not quite sure how you got to the challenger and as such the Leopard on this thread?, You say you didnt like the Leopard 2, I assume you meant how it looks as you didnt make it clear. On that basis if you didnt like the Leopard 2 then you probably didnt like the 3 or 4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back