Photos From Korea to the Falkland Islands - colourised images of conflicts after World War II.

Div Arty attached to the 1st ROK Div fire 90MM AA against the North Korean forces north of Taegu, 1950

Crew members of a USMC rocket launcher battery hold their ears and crouch to the ground as rockets are fired into the night sky. Original colour

Marine infantrymen take cover behind a tank while it fires on Communist troops ahead. Hongchon Area, May 22, 1951.

An American soldier aims a Browning .30-caliber M1919A4 MG on a tripod. Korea 1953

3 gunners from Addis Ababa, members of the Ethiopian Army Kagnew Battalions prepare to fire a 75mm recoil-less rifle are, from left to right: Corporal Alema Welde, Corporal Chanllo Bala and Sergeant Major Bogale Weldeynse. 1951
Privates T Farley, R A Smith and M J Pickworth of the New Zealand Regiment, carrying rifles on the fringes of the Malayan rain forest. Photograph taken by an unidentified New Zealand Army photographer in Malaya, 23 October 1958, during the Malayan Emergency (1948-1960).


National Library of New Zealand - PA1-q-319, M 3151.
Colourised by Doug
A side view of a US Navy gunner resting on the over-and-under .50 M2 machine gun/81 mm mortar combination mounted on the rear deck of a Swift Boat (Patrol Craft, Fast), on a river at Ca Mau, in the southern Delta, Vietnam, in 1968.

Gurkha troops use a step ladder to climb aboard a Bristol Belvedere twin rotor helicopter of No 66 Squadron RAF at Kuching, British Borneo during operations in Indonesia.

April 12, 1948. Bogotá. Troops from diferent parts of the Country brought in to control the disorders.
Color: Leo Ortiz

wrong thread!!!
Last edited:
Lt. Colonel Alberto Ruiz Novoa During the Corean War

Teniente coronel Alberto Ruiz Novoa.jpg

MSGT Jerry Michael “Mad Dog” Shriver​

Sergeant honored posthumously

Master Sgt. Jerry Michael Shriver was honored posthumously yesterday at Fort Lawton, the first missing-in-action person from this area to be so honored.

Shriver was pronounced dead by the Army after being missing in Laos five years.

The sergeant's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dale Shriver of Bellevue, attended the ceremony along with the sergeant's brothers and sisters, Colleen, 18, Bonnie, 17, Patrick, 20, Roger, 27 and John, 23.

Shriver's six posthumous awards include the Silver Star, the nation's third-highest military honor.

Lt. Col. Douglas Horne, special assistant to the chief of staff at Ft. Lewis, presented Mrs. Shriver with an American flag, a Special Forces green beret like Shriver once had worn and a plaque with the six medals attached.

A 21-gun salute honored the sergeant. Members of Company B, 75th Rangers, 9th Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, served as the honor guard.

"Jolly Green Giants" was the nickname given to the Sikorsky HH-53 "Super Jolly Green Giant" helicopters that served during the Vietnam War. These helicopters were primarily used for combat search and rescue (CSAR) missions, particularly to recover downed pilots and aircrew behind enemy lines.

The HH-53 helicopters were an upgraded version of the Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion, equipped with more powerful engines, larger fuel tanks, and improved avionics. They were capable of carrying out long-range missions deep into hostile territory, often under heavy enemy fire.

The nickname "Jolly Green Giants" reflected both the size of the helicopters and the green camouflage paint they typically bore. They were a critical asset for rescuing downed aircrews in Vietnam, as they could rapidly deploy pararescue jumpers (PJs) to the ground to provide medical assistance and security while the pilots were extracted.

These missions were extremely dangerous, as the helicopters often had to penetrate enemy-held areas to reach the downed personnel, exposing themselves to enemy fire. The crews of the Jolly Green Giants displayed incredible bravery and skill in carrying out these rescue operations, often under intense pressure and adverse conditions.

The Jolly Green Giants played a vital role in the overall effort to support American and allied air operations in Vietnam, saving numerous lives throughout the course of the war. Their contributions earned them a legendary status among both aircrews and ground forces, and their legacy continues to be honored by the military community.

Sikorsky HH-53 Super Jolly Green Giant.jpg
Private George E. Richards, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (2RAR), of Mildura, Victoria (Australia), sorting rations - in this case, tins of Carnation milk, Korea, 4 March 1954.


The scene was captured by British Commonwealth Forces Korea (BCFK) Public Relations photographer Phillip Hobson (1922-2006), whose original caption to the image provides invaluable insight into Richards, who would celebrate his 22nd birthday the week the photograph was taken.
George Richards was from Riverlea, Yannathan, near Lang Lang in Gippsland, Victoria, where his brothers were share farming on a diary property.
Born at Mildura, he went to Melbourne at an early age and did his schooling at Canterbury and Balwyn. When he left school he joined the Postal Department and was stationed at Tallangatta in north-east Victoria for three years before moving to Yannathan and working with his brothers.
In 1952 he joined the Army and went to Japan in January 1953 before subsequently being posted to Korea. He was still there in July when the cease fire was announced, which, for Richards, would become the one of the most outstanding memories of his time in Korea.
At the time he was a regimental stretcher bearer with D company on "The Hook" feature, scene of some of the fiercest fighting in the closing stages of the hostilities.
"It seems hard to believe that it was all over at first", Richards recounted, "most of all the sudden quietness, no guns firing, and no need to keep under cover. That was something I will always remember."
He had no regrets joining the Army or serving in Korea. In fact, Hobson noted in 1954, he was prepared to serve a further term in Korea.
"It has been a wonderful experience", Richards acknowledged, "and I've met some marvellous mates. There's something about Army life that's really worthwhile".
George E. Richards would turn 89 this year; does anyone know if he's still with us or has family?
Photographer: Phillip Hobson (1922-2006)
Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial
Colourised by Benjamin Thomas
Airborne troops of the 187th Regimental Combat Team ("Rakkasans") board a C-119 "Flying Boxcar" of 314th Troop Carrier Group for their drop behind enemy lines north of Pyonyang, Korea.


It took place on 20th October, 1950 as part of an airborne assault on the North Korean towns of Sukchon and Sunchon which laid 48km north of Pyongyang. The mission objective was to cut off an estimated 30,000 retreating North Korean soldiers and rescue US Prisoners of War believed to be with those forces.
Departing from Kimpo Airfield near Seoul, this was the first operation in the history of the airborne that paratroopers would be dropped from C-119, and the first time heavy equipment would be dropped into enemy territory. During this operation 4,000 men, 600 tons of equipment and supplies were dropped. These included twelve 105 mm howitzers, 39 jeeps, 38 1/4-ton trailers, four 90 mm antiaircraft guns, four 3/4-ton trucks, as well as ammunition, fuel, water, rations, and other supplies.
Once airborne, the planes fell into formation over the Han River and began their journey towards the drop zones, supported by US fighter aircraft which rocketed and strafed the ground in preparation for the landings. Lt. Col. Ronald Speirs and the rest of the 3rd Battalion were parachuted into Drop Zone William – which laid southeast of Sukchon. Once on the ground the paratroopers moved south and took up defensive positions on the low hills south of Sukchon where they established roadblocks across the highway and railway.
Though the airborne drop itself was a success and the town of Sukchon seized, roads and railroads blocked, no prisoners were rescued. Many prisoners – carried in a train concealed in a tunnel as the 187th RCT jumped into the area, were shot by the North Korean soldiers guarding them. The American paratroopers were subsequently ordered to return to Pyongyang.

(Source - NARA FILE#: 111-SC-35149)
Colourised by Royston Leonard
Left to right, Sergeant Jack Thompson, Mortar Fire Controller of D Company, the 6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (6RAR), and Captain (Capt) Ian McLean-Williams, Second in charge of D Company, squatting in a rubber plantation as they examine a map the morning after the Battle of Long Tan. Capt McLean-Williams is taking a sighting using a compass. Vietnam, August 1966


Similar threads