Book Devil's Guard

Reloader

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
Has anyone read this book, 'Devil's Guard' by George Robert Elford?
It's apparently about a former SS soldier who joined the French Foreign Legion after WW2 and went on to fight in Indochina. The reason I'm wondering why it's so special is because Amazon want £46.18p for a paperback copy of it!

I checked it out on Google and found other forums recommending it and discussing it, whether or not it was fact or fiction, etc. From what I can establish, it seems to be a novel, perhaps based on fact, or after the fashion of Sven Hassel.

Whatever, I have never paid anything like that amount for a paperback, no matter how good and I'm not likely to either! :confused:

PS - I see that the same author has also written 'Devil's Guard II', which kind of confirms it's a novel, doesn't it?

By the looks of it amazon are offering a first edition autographed by the author hence the price.

got this from amazon.com (the american site)

This incredible tale of combat was written by George Robert Elford and was based (according to the author) on first-hand interviews with "Hans Josef Wagemueller" (an alias, he refused to give his real name for obvious reasons), a former SS "partisan-jaeger" (guerrilla hunter) who miraculously survived the horrors of the Eastern front in World War II. He led a large group of German SS troops through Russian lines trying to reach Western Europe after he learned of the unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany. Many didn't make it, and most of those that did escape from the Soviets joined the French Foreign Legion along with Hans.

The French were fighting a bloody war in Indochina and were so desperate for troops they didn't really care if their new recruits had been in the SS. Hans spent the next five years fighting against the fiercely determined Communist guerrillas, and he quickly learned to be just as cruel and heartless as his enemies. He rose through the ranks and became a respected (and feared) combat commander, using bold tactics that confused his enemies. There are plenty of vivid descriptions of his many missions, battles, bloody ambushes, etc, but somehow after reading this book I still thought that "Hans" did have a conscience. He was simply hardened by years of killing.

There is still a lot of debate about the authenticity of this book. Even if the story is totally fiction, it remains the best book on warfare I've EVER READ. Until this book gets republished (who knows when that'll be), you're gonna have a hard time finding a copy at a reasonable price. I was lucky enough to spot a PB edition for only 25 cents (yeah, eat your heart out!) at an antique mall and I quickly bought it. This book should be required reading for every history buff, and it should be used as a training manual for U.S. Special Forces!

Thanks Droney, now you've whetted my appetite more! I'll pass it on to my mate who first mentioned it, too. (Y)

I had this book a long time ago but it got lost in a move or two. Some excellent story telling and some good anti-communist propaganda thrown in. I don't know about that price though. On signed copies I have a Immediate Action by one "A. McNab" signed - with pseudonym. Any ideas if that's worth anything??

Zofo said:
On signed copies I have a Immediate Action by one "A. McNab" signed - with pseudonym. Any ideas if that's worth anything??

Ill give you one English Pound for that pile of .......well I just dont think much of it, too many lies and such like. I know it was a fictional story based on facts but it was just too far from the truth bou;
Pretty much like that other pile of ....... The one that got away rbo;

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a Google search on George Robert Elford & found that someone had scanned 'Devil's Guard' onto the internet:

Devil's

Never read a book online, but might be tempted by this one!

Bomb for Bomb, Bullet for Bullet, Murder for Murder.......
Well, I've finished reading this book and I have to say that I really enjoyed it, despite the quite large amounts of anti-communist rhetoric in it. But you have to remember, this was written in 1971, when the 'Red Menace' was still seen as a world-wide threat and, I suppose if you were a former Wermacht soldier who fought on the 'Ostfront', you WOULD BE anti-communist!
There are a few small printing errors here and there in the web version of the book and sometimes haphazard composition, but I think this has to do with scanning and translation problems during uploading to the web. It doesn't spoil the overall enjoyment of the story, however.
As to whether it is true or not? I'm prepared to accept that it is, based on the contents and descriptions of actions etc. Although sketchy in detail and glossed over in places, there are enough bloody and detailed descriptions of other actions and reprisals which appeared frank and honest, truthfully recognising the faults and ruthlessness of having to fight a war of its kind. It has a ring of truth to it.
All in all, I would recommend it, if you can get hold of a copy. (Y)

Fabulous

This one is a great read. Has anybody seen the film "A Cross of Iron"? Its about the German Storm troopers. It must be 20 years old now though.

Saw cross of Iron in the SKC In Celle, when it came out. very good film.

Cross of Iron is one of my all-time favourite films, I have it on VHS.

If I may paraphrase Steiner - "I'll take you where the Iron Crosses grow."

(Y)

Devils Guard

The first book I can say was verified as a true story. I actually met a X-CIA field agent from this time period and he actually talked with the German Comander after he had briefed the US CIA head Agent just prior to the US entering the War. He had nor reason not to be telling the truth either, in fact I was the only one who new what he was actually taking about as I had read the book years before as required reading. He was 82 years old at the time.

I have this in text format anyone want a copy let me know by PM.

Did I or Did I not say contact me by PM,
write out 100 times, "Drone_pilot is the best thing since sliced bread"

Check your PM's it's on it's way.