Photos Colour and Colourised Photos of WW2 & earlier conflicts

7th Australian Division Matilda Tank in Action at Balikpapan 1945.

Battle of Transloy Ridges (1-18th October 1916). A 60 pounder gun being moved forward with difficulty by troops of the Royal Field Artillery and horses near the village of Bazentin le Petit. October 1916.


The Battles of the Somme; the Battle of the Transloy Ridges, 1 -18 October 1916.

Heartened by the occupation of much of the Thiepval Ridge, Haig determined to continue large-scale offensive operations into the autumn. The Battle of the Transloy Ridges represented Fourth Army's part A 60pdr gun being moved forward with difficulty by men and horses near the village of Bazentin-le-Petit, October in this grand design, and its constituent costly attacks were intended to coincide with simultaneous advances by the Reserve Army planned for early October.
The fighting took place during worsening weather and dreadful battlefield conditions. Fourth Army's objectives necessitated, as a preliminary, the taking of Eaucourt L'Abbaye and an advance on III Corps entire front was launched, after a seven-hour bombardment, at 3.15pm on 1 October. The attack met fierce German resistance and it was not until the afternoon of 3 October that the objectives were secured. Rawlinson’s follow-up attack was delayed by atrocious weather. Starting at 1.45pm on 7 October the advance involved six divisions and resulted in heavy British casualties and little success except for 23rd Division's capture of Le Sars. Continuous rain during the night hampered the removal of casualties and further forward moves. The failure to secure original battle objectives led to a renewed major assault on the afternoon of 12 October when infantry on Fourth Army’s right floundered towards German trench lines in front of Le Transloy, while formations on the left slogged towards the Butte de Warlencourt. Despite the slightest of gains (measured in hard fought for trench yards) the operation was not successful.
Orders for a fresh attack, issued late on 13 October, ignored the desperate conditions and physical state of the attacking troops. The subsequent early morning assault on 18 October (well before daylight) witnessed heroic efforts to advance but minimal gains were made against resolute defenders well supported by accurate artillery fire.
(Photosource - © IWM Q 4364)
Photographer - Lt. John Warwick Brooke
On 27 October 1940 this Messerschmitt 109 E-1 - White 13 (Werke/Nr.3576) of 7 Staffel/Jagdgeschwader 54 was hit in the engine by a burst of gunfire from a No.605 Squadron Hurricane during a freelance patrol over Tunbridge Wells.

The gunfire caused the engine to malfunction and to overheat. It quickly became clear to the pilot, Unteroffizier Arno Zimmermann (aged 21), that he stood no chance of making it back across the English Channel to his French base at Guines, especially when the cockpit also filled with smoke. Instead, Zimmermann made a good forced-landing on the shingle by Lydd Water Tower in Kent and was taken POW.

Here, a soldier guards the downed Luftwaffe fighter. The aircraft was only lightly damaged but ended its days as scrap with the metal being re-processed for the British aircraft industry. (text and photos from 'Britain at War')
(Colourised by Doug)
Staff sergeant Jouko Huotari, sergeant major (lentomestari) Ilmari Juutilainen and sergeant Emil Vesa from the Flying Squadron 24 at Hirvas airfield, June 27, 1942.


Brewster, BW-364
Finnish patrol at the Rukajärvi area, October 7, 1942.


Sa-kuva / colorized by jhlcolorizing
USS Belleau Wood (CVL-24) - 30 October 1944
Burning aft after she was hit by a Nakajima B6N 'Jill' Kamikaze, while operating off the Philippines on 30 October 1944. Flight deck crewmen are moving undamaged TBM torpedo planes away from the flames as others fight the fires.
USS Franklin (CV-13), was also hit during this Kamikaze attack.


USS Belleau Wood, an 11,000-ton Independence class small aircraft carrier, was built at Camden, New Jersey. Begun as the light cruiser New Haven (CL-76), she was converted to a carrier before launching and was commissioned in March 1943. Her original carrier hull number was CV-24, which was changed to CVL-24 in July 1943 at the time she arrived in the Pacific to join the war against Japan. During the rest of 1943, Belleau Wood took part in raids on Tarawa and Wake Islands and the invasion of the Gilbert Islands.
In the first half of 1944, Belleau Wood was part the carrier force that supported the Marshall Islands operation, raided enemy positions throughout the Central Pacific and helped conquer Saipan. During the Battle of the Philippine Sea, in mid-June, one of her Grumman TBF Avengers torpedoed the Japanese aircraft carrier Hiyo.
Following a brief overhaul, she rejoined Task Force 58 for further operations to take Guam, the Palaus and Morotai, as well as raiding the Philippines, Okinawa and Formosa. In late October 1944, Belleau Wood participated in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. While operating off the Philippines on 30 October, she was hit aft by a Kamikaze suicide plane and set afire. Badly damaged, with 92 of her crew killed or missing and 54 injured and also 12 of her aircraft destroyed, she had to return to the United States for repairs.
Belleau Wood returned to the Western Pacific war zone in February 1945, in time to help in raids on the Japanese Home Islands and support Marines on Iwo Jima. The rest of the war was spent on further attacks on targets in and around Japan. Her planes participated in the massed aircraft flyover that followed the Formal Surrender of Japan on 2 September 1945. After supporting occupation operations into October, Belleau Wood transported U.S. service personnel back to the United States until early 1946. Generally inactive from then on, she was placed out of commission in January 1947.
Belleau Wood was reactivated in 1953 for loan to France. Under the name Bois Belleau, she served the French Navy until 1960, when she was returned to U.S. custody and sold for scrapping.
(Colourised by Royston Leonard UK)
Panzerkampfwagen VI 'Tigers' of 1./SS Pz.Div. "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler" in Vinnitsa, Ukraine. November 1943.


In early November, the deteriorating situation in the east meant that the division was ordered back to the Eastern Front, arriving in the Zhitomir area in mid November 1943.

(Colourised by Doug)
Sherman V Crab, "DANDY DINMONT" Turret no. 15 of 1LBHY, "A" Sqn., No.1 Troop. Unloading from LCT 737 "5 BRAMBLE" on the North side of "White Beach".
It was nicknamed MEG II (white handwriting on the front of the left flail jib) by its commander Sjt Ferguson in fond memory of his first tank MEG MERRILEES.


Colour Colourised PIECE of JAKE
Picture source: — in Westkapelle, Zeeland, Netherlands.

Similar threads