Question? call up papers question

uksweetheart

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Hi, I have often wondered why my father wasn't called up to join the forces and while he was alive I never thought to ask him as he always told me with him working on a farm that was an important job so no one was called up if they worked in agriculture. Can anyone tell me if this is correct please. He was a member of the Home-guard. At the start of the war he was 19.

thanks for any info... is it possible to trace someone's call up papers?

Last edited by a moderator:
A reserved occupation (also known as essential services) is an occupation considered important enough to a country that those serving in such occupations are exempt being called up for military service.

Some of the jobs included: Farmers and farm staff, Coal minors, Doctors and some medical staff as well as Police Officers.

Due to the number of men being called up from the villages, led to a large reduction in casual labour at harvest time and so the Land Girls were formed to help the farmers and forestry service.

Do not think less of your father because he wasn’t in any of the services. His skills helped to put much needed food on the table.

Silky

It is not possible to find any ones call up papers as records are only kept for those that were called into service and some did not meet the medical requirement.

Silky