Rant British soldiers are wimps

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
I couldn't believe what this idiot said.

Silky

'Soldiers are Wimps'

Monday, June 09, 2008

Source: The Sun Online

Posh actor Rupert Everett has branded British soldiers 'whining wimps'.

In an astonishing outburst, Everett – son of a retired major – said: “The whole point of being in the Army is wanting to get killed, to test yourself to the limits.

“Now you have to fly 15,000ft above the war zone to avoid getting hit.

“I don’t think there is any point in having wars if that’s how you’re going to behave. It’s pathetic. All this whining.”

Everett, 49 – whose views came before the Taliban killed three Brits yesterday – has just made a documentary on 19th century soldier Richard Burton.

Ex-Army cadet Everett added: “In Burton’s day they were itching to get into the fray. Now it is the opposite.

“They are always whining about the dangers of being killed. Oh my God, they are such wimps now.”

I suppose he would have them all line up and march towards the enemy like in the great war, only to be mown down withng seconds.

Lest send that over privelidged little ****** over to Trashcanistan and see how he performs.

The whole purpose of being in the army is to want to get killed

nobody wants to get killed in the army, they want to killl, if and when its necessary.

What do you wanna join the army for son?, I WANT TO DIE SIR!......hes talking utter B ollocks

This Rupert Everett owes an apology to all British servicemen. I think he has confused acting and the values of the 19th century with the reality of our current troubled world. Is the Richard Burton that he recently made a documentary on the same one that said about himself, " Fit for nothing but to be shot at for six pence a day" ?, if so then the actor Rupert Everett learned very little from the life of this complicated man. Present day soldiers who put themselves in harms way are the first to appreciate the sweetness of life and those who risk all for their respective nations beliefs and honor are worthy of much more respect and compassion then what Mr. Everett seems to possess. I hope this man does the right thing and publicly apologizes to all combat veterans for his poor choice of words.
Semper Fi

mr rupert everett

i have just been reading that THINGS comments about british soldiers being whimps, well let me tell you MR EVERETT that i would love to meet you in person
IN A DARK ALLEY?

PADDY.

i have just been reading that THINGS comments about british soldiers being whimps, well let me tell you MR EVERETT that i would love to meet you in person
IN A DARK ALLEY?

PADDY.

Agreed!, me too rbo;

Come on chaps, lets not sink to his level, all we need to do is remove all the benefits in life that this man has been give by us soldiers. Note I don’t say ex servicemen, for I know that though I retired 25 years ago, I will still toe the line when required.

Silky

Apology from Everett

letter in today's paper.

I was too flippant on a serious point

Some things that I said in a Sunday Telegraph interview (News Review, June 8) have deeply upset many people. I was talking trivially about something very serious. We were discussing war.

This is a very delicate subject because there are many in this country, and hundreds and thousands of others across the world, who have lost their brothers and sisters, their fathers and mothers to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and all the countless others.

To any of them who may have read my remarks and been affronted by them, I apologise without reserve. I never meant to question the bravery of those who lose their lives, or survive but without arms or legs. Just seeing these people in my mind's eye makes me feel a terrible anguish.

My remarks were made in the context of a television documentary about Richard Burton, an Army officer who joined the Indian Army in 1842. I compared his longing to get into battle to the way we engage in war today. Then death was glorious.

Today it is what it really is. Each and every death is a terrible tragic loss. The point I was making, although to be honest I didn't know at the time that I was making it because I felt we were talking in the context of one man's story, was that we still go to war, but actually we haven't the stomach for it.

We have seen on television exactly what war is, and it is not romantic or exciting as it was made to look in the 19th century. It creates terrible suffering everywhere, and today we go into it with our eyes open.

To be a soldier one needs that special gene, that extra something, that enables a person to jump into one-on-one combat, something, after all, that is unimaginable to most of us, as we are simply not brave enough.

I also talked flippantly about torture and our attitude towards it. I apologise. However it seems to me that embracing war means accepting its underbelly as well, torture and the unspeakable violence that spirals from the battlefield to its surroundings. You cannot be politically correct in a war.

My flippant and irresponsible behaviour arises from a deep frustration at the fact that we seem to be continually making war, dreaming up new ones, instead of doing everything we can to avoid them. Again I apologise to anyone who has been insulted by my remarks.

Rupert Everett, London W11

Airborne,
Thank you for posting this. I accept his explanation and apology and I feel the issue is concluded. I am forever grateful again, for this site that Bombardier has created for those of us of similar persuasion.
Semper Fi

I couldn't believe what this idiot said.

'Soldiers are Wimps'

“The whole point of being in the Army is wanting to get killed, to test yourself to the limits.

The quote above is what the man said, and for that I cannot and will not accept his apology. He knew what he was doing when he wrote it and I believe that his editor would have questioned him about his report before going to print.

He is now feeling the back lash from the public and like a politician he is now saying he is sorry. I for one only believe it to be a coat of whitewash to save his own skin.

Silky

Agreed Silky and he calls our soldiers wimps when he cant even stand by his own convictions (spineless wimp that he is)

Perhaps Mr Everet needs to have a very serious word with himself before his next "flippant" outburst, or else take his head outside for a good stiff S**t.