Movie / TV Battle of Britain

drywall

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
I saw this movie last night on TV. It had Laurence Olivier, Robert Shaw, Christopher Plummer and many others. It was made in 1969. It appeared to have real Bf 109's, Fw 190's, He 111's, Spitfires and Hurricanes in it. I don't think they could generate them by computer in 1969 so my question is, Were there a lot of old Warbirds still around England in 1969? And in flying condition? It was a good movie. :cool:

Drywall,
I stand to be corrected on this, but I'm pretty certain that the bulk aircraft scenes were faked by duplication of filmed scenes using only 1 or 2 aircraft.
There are still quite a few 'of the few' (English and German) still flying even now at airshows etc., the problem as I understand it is the shortage of spare parts, which leads to more and more being grounded and handed over to static museums.
There have also been quite a few crashes.
I agree with you, an excellent film. I've no doubt Rob and Polar will correct me where I've gone wrong.
Derrick.

Hi Derrick, thanks for the info. I am aware of that techniquie (sp?) for in movie making. But I used to do a lot of model airplane building as a kid and could see that the 109's the hurricanes the spits and the 111's were very accurate in their details. I was impressed because I've seen other movies where they try to pass off trainers as german or japanense fighters. This movie didn't do that. :cool:

I've no doubt Rob and Polar will correct me where I've gone wrong.

No Derrick it will be me that will do that, But you are semi right there are infact Four warbirds ie(Spitfires) still flying But as for the little cheat on the film you are right. vik, viki;

I thought some clever **d would correct me, but I thought you would be too busy eating steak and chips.
Derrick.

Yes, Derrick you have right. Only few Spit, Bf-109 and He-111 was played in this film. Many Bf-109 and He-111 who are in museums on the world was produced many years after during WW II in Spain. Another sensation is that Bf-109 produced in Spain have British engine Merlin from Spit.
After war Bf-109 was produced in Czehoslovakia.

In this film not played Fw-190, and this plane didn't fight in BoB. First Fw-190 entered to service in 1941

Ah, then I didn't see any 190's. I'll blame my old eyes for my mistake then. Thanks Polar.
I had heard about some of the planes being produced and flown by other countries after the war.

Derrick, what are you implying??? :lol:

WEBBY, WEBBY !!!!!!!!!!!

The moderator is pickin on me. :cool:

Ahem, I don't moderate this Forum. You are on your own. Himself can't help you.
Derrick. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Drywall
What's the news from your side of the pond about a Hollywood remake of the Battle of Britain?
Apparently, Tom Cruise is playing an American pilot and is going to save us single handed!

Tosh,
I haven't heard even a peep about a remake of the movie. Sorry. Maybe somebody more in tune with pop culture can help. Anybody know?

Hi Guys

There are a huge number of warbirds still flying worldwide - in fact there are over 50 airworthy spitfires of various marks, including I believe over thirty in the UK alone! In fact, there was a formation of around 15-20 spits flew at one of the Duxford shows a few years back. I'm not sure how many Hurricanes are still airworthy, but it must be about a dozen worldwide with the majority in the UK and Canada. Numbers of airworthy warbirds are growing rather than decreasing as more and more are restored to flying condition. However of major British aircraft there are many notable exceptions/shortages - Lancaster - 2 (1 UK/1 Canada); Mosquito - currently nil airworthy; Halifax - nil; Wellington - Nil; Beaufighter - several under restoration, etc., etc.

There would appear to be no shortage of most US types.

As for the Axis aircraft from the film, as Polar says, these were all ex-spanish airforce license-produced Me Bf-109s (Hispano Buchon) and Heinkel He-111s. although a few of the Buchons are still airworthy, non of the Heinkels is currently airworthy although a few are under restoration. There are a few (maybe 3 or 4) genuine airworthy Bf109s - there was one in the UK, although this crashed a few years back almost killing my old flying instructor (ACM Sir John Allison).

Amazingly - repro warbirds are also getting big now - a firm in Germany is making 6 new-build Fw-190s exactly as original except for Chinese radial engines; New Yak-9s are being made in Russia, and six Me-262 jet fighters have been built in California.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

If ther were to re-make the BoB now, it would be a much easier taks, but it was probably this film which launched the UK warbird movement.

I went to an air show 2 years ago and they had a Spitfire. It was in flying condition and did in fact fly. It was a two seater. Could it have been a trainer? There was also a B17 that was flying also. That is an awsome plane to watch. For a mere $500 I could have had a 20 minute ride in it. Ahh to be young and rich. :D
I know there are still several P51's around. Therre were 2 in that airshow and I think there are a lot being used in air races.
There was a TV show about some P38 lightnings that had to put down in greenland in WWII on the way to England. They were unable to leave and have been buried under 250' of ice. One has been recovered and is being restored now.

Yes, there were a number of two-seat Spitfires - "T.Mk.9" - they were converted fro the Irish Air Corps just after WW2 from Standard Mk.9 fighters and still retained all weapons etc., but I think maybe they had reduced fuel capacity.

The warbird movement in the US and Canada is huge, with enormous displays at Harlingen, Tx, and Oshkosh. There are also large displays in Canada and New Zealand.

There are quite a few B-17s stil flying Stateside together with B-24s, and even a B-29 operated by the Former Confederate Airforce, now I believe called the Comemorative Airforce. At a guess, I would say there are several hundred airworthy P-51s, together with P-47s, P-38s and the various types of navy fighters.

Oshkosh isn't all that far from where I live. Mayhaps I should mosey on over there on of these years. I have a pilot friend who takes a week off every year to attend.
At the airshow I mentioned before, there were some WWII pilots, including the Luftwaffe, telling stories and signing autographs.

The Oshkosh display is HUGE - like sweveral thousand a/c and hundreds of warbirds. I think the display lasts three/four days. I'll see if I can find out when it is this year.

When the time comes, I'll know. It'll be in the paper and on TV. I know its huge. I think its actually called the oshkosh experimental aircraft show.