Photos ARVN Images


The National Field Police Force (Cãnh Sát Dã Chiến, CSDC) was a paramilitary force of the South Vietnam National Police, created on January 27, 1966. Its two main tasks were to destroy the communist infrastructure in rural and urban inhabited areas, as well as suppressing civil unrest. Its numbers consisted of Vietnamese police and armed forces volunteers, including an influx of special forces when the LLDB was dissolved (Lực Lượng Đặc Biệt Quân Lực Việt Nam Cộng Hòa, Special Forces of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam) in December 1970. The Field Police soldiers passed through ARVN schools, such as the Thu Duc Infantry School, as well as courses in Dalat for officers and sergeants. It was also common for Field Police soldiers to be sent to training in neighboring countries, such as Malaysia and the Philippines.

On April 30, 1975, after President Duong Van Minh announced the surrender, and the CSDC commander, Lieutenant Colonel Nguyen Van Long, committed suicide at the foot of the South Vietnamese Marine Corps monument.

Field Police on the streets of Saigon on the morning of the fateful April 30, 1975
You have to respect these guys for staying in uniform to the end . . . can't imagine their thoughts on that day, as surely they knew the NVA/VC were coming.
Notice several of the men shown carry M1 Garands and M1 Carbines. You'd also see them humping a BAR. It was very incongruous to see a small Vietnamese carrying a BAR taller than him. I'd sure like to see those Garands and M1 Carbines come back to America!
Tattoo pic above - NVA sometimes had one, "Born in the North to Die in the South".

Thuong Tiec statue after 30th April 1975

Lt Col Long committed suicide in front of the Marine Monument, 30th April 1975


ARVN Airborne Rangers never surrender in any circumstance. On the final day of Vietnam War, the commandos of major Pham Chau Tai's unit knocked down a column of North Vietnamese Communist T-54's near Tan Son Nhat airbase then disappeared into the crowd.

Wreckage of the Skyraider of MajorTruong Phung's who instead of flying to safety had defended Saigon and crashed on 30th April 1975

Captain Thach Quyen, left, interrogates a captured Viet Cong suspect on Tan Dinh Island, Mekong Delta. 1965

A South Vietnamese Marine, severely wounded in a Viet Cong ambush, is comforted by a comrade in a sugar-cane field at Duc Hoa, about 12 miles from Saigon, on August 5, 1963. A platoon of 30 Vietnamese Marines was searching for communist guerrillas when a long burst of automatic fire killed one Marine and wounded four others
Partially covered, a dying Viet Cong guerrilla raises his hands as South Vietnamese Marines search palm groves near Long Binh in the Mekong Delta, on February 27, 1964. The guerrilla died in a foxhole following a battle between a battalion of South Vietnamese Marines and a unit of Viet Cong.

As U.S. "Eagle Flight" helicopters hover overhead, South Vietnamese troops wade through a rice paddy in Long An province during operations against Viet Cong guerrillas in the Mekong Delta, in December of 1964. The "Eagle Flight" choppers were loaded with Vietnamese airborne troops who were dropped in to support ground forces at the first sign of enemy contact
A father holds the body of his child as South Vietnamese Army Rangers look down from their armored vehicle on March 19, 1964. The child was killed as government forces pursued guerrillas into a village near the Cambodian border.

With the persuasion of a Viet Cong-made spear pressed against his throat, a captured Viet Cong guerrilla decided to talk to interrogators, telling them of a cache of Chinese grenades on March 28, 1965. He was captured with 13 other guerrillas and 17 suspects when two Vietnamese battalions overran a Viet Cong camp about 15 miles southwest of Da Nang air force base

Similar threads