Reloader

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
While browsing my Flikr Group photos, I came across this photostream, which is a tribute to the Falklands War from an Argentinian point of view.
There are just over 200 photos, understandably described in Spanish and mostly of the Argentinian experience during the fighting, but a number of which show British forces and equipment too. I think they are well worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent images. Its nice to see the War from the opposing sides pespective.

great find mate :cool:

Last edited:
malvinas 001.jpg

malvinas 002.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures. Man, I really wish a film studio or video game developer would finally recognize the potential this conflict has as a motif. The environment, the political background of the war, the difficult life of the islanders… so much potential.

Thank you for posting I have a personal connection to that war as I was living in Argentina at that time I was still a kid but I watched all the news on Argentine TV.

Have sometimes wondered what it must have been like for the Argentine conscipts sent over there. Their whole life, they've been told that the 'Malvinas' are their birthright and then they finally get sent over there to 'liberate' them. And once you're there you find a local populace who - despite what you've been told - don't want you there and also these islands that you've heard so much about are cold, wet, desolate and windswept places.

Morale must have been through the floor before the fighting even started.

Great pictures mate.......post MORE, MORE!! You said there's 200, were ready! (Y)

Morale must have been through the floor before the fighting even started.
I'd suppose though, but then again many Argentines insist the Falklands belong to them even today, in the age of Google and Wikipedia.

There was an Argentine movie filmed in the early-2000s, Iluminados por el fuego I was scrolling through to decide whether I want to watch, and in the end narrator behind the scenes was saying that the British brought the nukes and were ready to use them. At this point, I decided it wasn't worth my time.

There was an Argentine movie filmed in the early-2000s, Iluminados por el fuego I was scrolling through to decide whether I want to watch, and in the end narrator behind the scenes was saying that the British brought the nukes and were ready to use them. At this point, I decided it wasn't worth my time.

A case of lost in translation? We did bring nuclear subs, and used them.

A case of lost in translation? We did bring nuclear subs, and used them.

Subs were not mentioned. The phrase was something like "they brought their nuclear weapons with them". Here is the full movie in Spanish. It's somewhere towards the end when documentary footage starts.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't know if it's true but there is this (wierd) story about Mitterand having handed over the codes and specs of the exocet missiles in change for the UK not nuking Argentine cities. In Argentina at least they were talking about it at the time.

It could be a reference to nuclear depth charges which were onboard some of the Royal Navy ships.

A nuclear-armed submarine had indeed been in the vicinity, but essentially only since the British had needed underwater assets immediately and couldn't afford to waste any time. This rather innocent tidbit was heartily welcomed by Argentine nationalists who created the narrative: It took them the power of the atom bomb to stop us. Or: Lo! how those colonialist imperials terrorised us with the threat of nuclear armageddon whilst we were pressing our righteous cause.

I wonder if Argentina's obssession with the Falklands marks a repressed inferiority complex of sorts, the like of which may be observed in many a neophyte (or quasi-neophyte). I mean, how can they style themselves champions against colonialism? Half the country's population comprises third or fourth generation immigrants from Europe and Russia. Only a handful of indigenous peoples are left. Judging by their own untenable morality, the Argentines have barely ceased being colonialists themselves.

I don't know if it's true but there is this (wierd) story about Mitterand having handed over the codes and specs of the exocet missiles in change for the UK not nuking Argentine cities. In Argentina at least they were talking about it at the time.
France did give the UK access to Exocet's capabilities and vulnerabilities. Don't know what France got in return but I doubt nuking Argentine came into it at all