Article Anecdotes by John A Silkstone

Hi Dragon,
Thank you for asking, most people just print off and plagiarise. Yes by all means, copy what you want. Silky
sal;

Jeez Silky, 21 pages and i spose u got more, well their now up on the bulletin board and anyone who takes the time to read em always gives a least one chuckle, and more than one guys asked where the hell i got this from, i gave the site address don't know if they'll join up though

Keep 'em comin hel; sal; camo;

Hello Dragon,
Yes lots more to come. I'm writing it for publication. That's between editing and producing my magazine and Ghosting a story for someone else. Ghosting means the other person supplies the basic story and I write it so an editor will consider it for publication.

I know what Ghosting is, Sliky, My Brother and I do it for our books, im the one who fills in myself, and belive me if i can find time and space to put em on on the web i will one day.

Dragon

THE THIN BLUE LINE

Later in 1963 I was posted with 9 others to set up the Medical Reception Station (MRS) at the United Nations Forces In Cyprus (UNFICYP) base in Nicosia Cyprus. We were issued with a sky blue Beret and armbands. The ambulance and other vehicles had large red crosses on them and the United Nations ‘World Emblem’ pasted on the top and all sides. A MRS looks after patients that need to be cared for but is not bad enough to be hospitalised.

LEARNING THE HARD WAY

Our first patient was a sunburn case. A group of lads had been given the afternoon off and had gone to the safe beaches of the Sovereign Base Area in Dekelia. This lad had fallen asleep on the beach and was roasted to a turn, he was also unconscious from dehydration because of all the beer he’d consumed. Instead of taking him to the Military Hospital that was just up the road they brought him back nearly 40 miles to us in Nicosia. They thought that being UN they could only be treated by the UN. As the lad was being seen by the doctor, Brian Walsh the RCT drive and myself went to the Chogi Wallah’s hut (Chogi Wallah, name give to any local trader by British Forces) He was hopping mad when we removed his two very large blocks of ice from his coca cola box.

Returning to the ward we chopped the ice up and placed it around the patient He was very ill with a temperature of 102 plus. We soon got the temperature down and brought him back to consciousness. He was then air-vact to the BMH and collected four days later to be looked after us in the MRS were his back was skinless and very painful, thankfully he recovered fully with no scarring.

Nicosia was divided by what was known as the ‘Thin Blue Line.’ The Turkish Cypriots on one side, and the Greeks on the other. To get to the Greek hospital we had to pass through a Turkish roadblock of 45-gallon steel drums. Private Walsh had returned to the UK for compassionate reasons., and I was driving the ambulance. As we approached the roadblock of barrels, the doctor said, “Clip that last barrel and I pay for the drinks. As I drove through the chicane, I managed to clip the end barrel, which then went bouncing off down the road, I managed to do the same on the way back. A few days later the Doc said, “Third time lucky?” I pulled over sharply on the steering wheel and the ambulance hit the barrel with an all mighty bang. Looking in my rear view mirror I saw the back door was only hanging on by the top hinge. The guards had filled the barrel with concrete, so that put an end to the free pints. The Medical Officer told the Motor Transport Officer that the ambulance was hit while we were in the hospital and we didn’t see the accident. So I got the drinks in.

HOW TO MAKE A PROFFIT, WITHOUT REALLY TRYING

After a few weeks I found out that Currency Exchange Unit at the Air Port was open for business. One payday I went over there with my £27.50 cash in English Currency and exchanged it into Cyprus money. Magically it turned into £32.80 due to the rate of exchange. Ever week this extra cash I sent home to my mother in the shape of a Postal Order. When my six-month tour of duty ended, I went home on seven-days leave to find that my mother had not spent the money, but had placed it in my bank account for my return. I took her down town and bought her a new winter coat and shoes.

The week before I was to return home, I went into Nicosia and purchased a Methuselah. (A gallon of wine in a glass and wire basket) On returning to the MRS I used the infra red lamp and heated the wax until I could remove the top without breaking the seal. We drank the wine and I filled the container with five star brandy. I then heated the seal again and placed it back on the Methuselah bottle and then applied a squirt of CO2 which froze it tight again. I got through customs with no bother

R and E DEPARTMENT
(Reception and Enquires now Accident and emergency)

My leave over, I returned to BHM Tidworth. My new job was working in the Casualty department and one of the first people I met was Jan, so we started going out together.

NEVER MIND THE QUALITY, FEEL THE MIRTH

One night on duty, an unconscious Ghurkha was brought into casualty. A Colonel whom I shall not name was on duty. After giving the patient a thorough examination he declared that the patient was suffering from urine retention. “As the patient is unconscious and won’t feel any pain,” he said, “I intend to exert presser on his bladder and remove the blockage.” I went off to collect a urine bottle; upon my return I placed the man's penis into the bottle. The doctor extends a little light pressure to the man’s abdomen. As nothing was happening he exerted more pressure, so much so that the man's penis popped out of the bottle. The external pressure on the abdomen forced a small stone to be dislodged. The bladder now being freed from its blockage, sent a stream of urine about five feet into the air. Seeing this eruption of urine, I jumped back away from the table. The Colonel stood his ground. The urine not having the necessary velocity to escape Earths gravitational pull now started its downward motion in the direction of the doctor. The cascading urine landed on his right shoulder and ran down his white coat. As a smirk spread across my face the Colonel said, “I suppose you think this is funny?” Still gazing at the urine running down his coat I saw that his right pocket was now filling up. This vision was too much for me and I busted out laughing, which got me another seven days restrictive privileges.
:D sal;

Good stuff again John. Having just come back from Cyprus the exchange rate is just as good - but I was changing Euros and the rate went the other way around! A cunning trick that with the brandy - I do miss my Formula!

THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT

One evening while on night duty in the casualty department we received a call for an ambulance to collect a lady from Bulford Village and deliver her to the Maternity Wing. The nurse on ambulance duty that night was none other than Jan. “It’s a Maternity case we’re collect.” I told her.
“What do I do if the baby arrives?” she asked
“Let nature take its course” said I, “but if we keep the lady sitting and not lying on the stretcher the odds are that we can get her back to maternity before she gives birth.”

The trip went without incident other than the woman being in such pain that she told Jan that she was useless as a nurse. I told Jan not to take to heart what the woman said. All patients in pain say things that they don’t really mean.

In May 1965 I was posted to the Junior Leaders Regiment RCT in Taunton. Before I left I proposed to Jan and we set the date for August.

UNLESS YOU’RE DEAD, DON’T COME SICK

On my first day I couldn’t believe the number of people waiting in the sick room. There were about 50 youngsters all laughing and funning around. It turn out that the civilian sister was a soft touch. The lads knew that they could skip the morning PT section and the sister would cover for them. I informed them that on tomorrow’s sick parade, as per regimental orders, they would have to turn up with their small pack and all items listed on Part One Orders. The following morning there were only about 15 on sick parade, I made them empty their small packs and sent half of them back to the billets for their missing kit. On the third morning there was only two on the sick list and I knew that those two young lads were genuinely sick and treated them with the respect they deserved.

WERE THERE’S MUCK THERE’S BRASS

Once I’d settle in at Norton Manor Camp, I started to plant a few vegetables in the garden at the back of the MRS. One night in the local pub I was talking to a chap who told me that he worked at the village sewerage works. After I few pints he said “Aye lad, I’ll bring thee up a bit of muck for yon garden of thine.” I thanked him and thought no more of it. The following week a trailer drove through camp with 15 ton of muck on it, he dumped the whole lot on the back garden. The smell was horrendous and lasted for days. By the end of summer, I was selling potatoes, runner beans, and the biggest and tastiest tomatoes that you could wish to have.

By this time Jan and I was married and living in Married Quarters. She was waiting for me at the door one evening with a smile upon her face, her first words “Darling I’m pregnant.” Time marched on as it does. Then early one morning I received a nudge in the ribs and a cry of “I’m in labour.” Though I’d delivered children before, one in England and five in Cyprus, I still ran around like a headless chicken, attempting to get her in the car and off to Musgrove Park Hospital.

Like all good pregnancies, the baby took hours to arrive. Jan was on a stretcher being attended to by one of the nurses who was doing her midwifery training. Jan calling me over and asked me to rub her back as the nurse was bloody useless at her job. As I rubbed her back I said “I can remember a time not long ago when another pregnant woman said the same thing about you.” Jan apologised to the nurse. And so our first daughter ‘Annathea’ was born.

YES YOUR LORDSHIP

One of the sergeants in the RCT, who live across the road from us, changed his name by deed poll. He added his wife’s nee name to his, so that he now had a double barrel name. He thought that this would bring him quick promotion.
“That’s a good idea” I said, “I think I’ll put Jan’s name in front of mine.”
“Oh!” said he “and what is her name?”
“Lord” said I, “So I’ll be known as Lord Silkstone.” He walked off with saying a word.

SEE YOU IN MY OFFICE AT 09.30 HOURS

One evening The Doctor, the ACC NCO, Dave Scott and I went down town to celebrating the doctors 72nd birthday. The doctor being an Irish man, we sat there giving our rendering of ‘Paddy McGinties Goat’, when in walk two MPs. They came over to our table and demanded from Scotty and I our ID cards. They took our particulars and stated that they were charging us under section 69 for making a nuisance of ourselves in public, and that we had to report to the RSM’s office at 09.00 hours tomorrow. As they turn to walk away the Doctor said
“Don’t you want to see my ID?”
To which the MP corporal said, “All due respect sir, but your a bit long in the tooth to be in the forces aren’t you?”
The doctor removed his documentation from his wallet and said “Major General Mullins RAMC, I’ll see you in my office at 09.30 hours, as at 09.00 hours I will be giving evidence on behalf of these two. Now You’re dismissed.

A REPEAT PERFORMANCE

On The 14th of January 68 a sister ‘Denys’ now joined our daughter and I’m glad to say that Jan went through this birth with a lot less pain.

:lol: sal;

Great stuff buddy, I bet those two MP's quickly removed their heads from uo their arses LOL roc;

Silky, good one mate
Bomb, take it from a current server, MP's will never get their heads outta their arses

CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET?

September 67 I gave Jan a present wrapped up in Christmas paper and ask her to put it away, I told her that it was for our next-door neighbour Margaret. Her husband ‘Mick’ didn’t want her to find it and ask me to look after it till Christmas.

Come Christmas, Jan said “I’ll take that present round to Margaret.” “Don’t bother love,” said I “the present’s for you.” I’ll not write what she said, but it was her habit to search the house looking for her Christmas Present. I hoped that this event would put her off searching in the future. Well, it’s not often I’m right, but I was wrong again, she’s still searches today.

HOW TO PUT YOUR FOOT IN YOUR MOUTH WITHOUT REALY TRYING

In August 68, as I was a football referee I was approached by the local committee and ask if I could stand in for a fixture over the holiday weekend as a fellow referee, was in hospital with a broken leg. Without thinking things through, I agreed. I reported to the playing fields on the Saturday to find that there were another six referees there. “What’s going on?” I enquired. “It’s the annual under elevens five a side knockout, I was told. Not too many teams this year, only 96. With a bit off luck it should be finished by Sunday afternoon.” I’d play some games in my time but this took the biscuit, the main difference between junior and senior football is the pace. Juniors never let up and chase the ball constantly. By Sunday afternoon I was glad the games were over, for I was utterly exhausted. The Final game was between the Winners and the Referees. The little buggers were far to fast for me, and I was booked for blowing my whistle when one of them was about to score a goal. The booking wasn’t to bad, but having my whistle confiscated really but me off my game.

ME, I’M NEVER WRONG!

My own personal quote is ‘The moon and stars may vary, but Silkstone is always right.’ One weekend Jan, the children and I drove off to Mindhead for a day out. After letting the children play on the sands, we set off home about 16.00 hours. Jan said, ”Do you know the way back?” “Yes” I replied, “I’ll take the same route out of Mindhead as the one I came in on.” Driving down one of the streets I noticed a vicar on his bicycle riding towards me on the wrong side of the road. “Look,” said I to Jan “This chap will soon see his boss a lot early if he keeps riding on the wrong side of the road.” As we drew level the vicar call through our open window. “One-way street sir, One Way Street!” I did a quick left turn down the next opening.

GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS!

In February 69 I was informed that I was to be posted to BMH Singapore. The wife and I were ecstatic, as neither of us had been to the Far East. The circus then began, Report to QM Dept for this item of clothing, report with family to medical centre for this jab and that jab, report to chief clerks office to fill in this form, and so it went on. At the end of March I collected some packing cases from the QM and started packing ready for the trip. It was about this time that Jan informed me that she was once more pregnant, more good news.

One morning I received a letter, which read. Dear John on behalf of the ‘Football Referees Association’ I am pleased to inform you that you are one of the lucky members to have won a ticket in our draw for the FA Cup match between Manchester City and Leicester City. Ticket enclosed. This was the best prize I’d ever won and the event had to be on the same day that I was flying to Singapore. I return the ticket with a heavy heart. Win some. Lose some.

DID I HEAR RIGHT?

We emplaned at RAF Brize Norton and after a few hours flying we landed at RAF Barian. We off boarded for fuelling and waited in the visitors lounge. The bar was open and so I ordered soft drinks and crisps for the girls, a Brandy and coke for Jan, a pint for myself, and 200 Rothmans King size. “That will be one pound, fourteen shillings, and 10 pence, sir.” (£1.74) Said the barman. I gave him £2 saying, “Keep the change”.

Our next stop was at RAF Gan. Gan is a small island in the Indian Ocean. That small, that the runway covers the full lenth of the island. As soon as the plain lands the pilot turn the engines onto full reverse to stop the plane running into the sea. The take off was just as bad; the pilot revs the engine at full speed, which vibrates the whole plane. Once he has enough power, he releases the brake and the accelerating pushes you into your seat. On the final leg to Singapore. We encountered a thunderstorm and one felt apprehensive at watching the lightning dance along the wing. We were glad to land at RAF Changi in Singapore. From the Airport we were transported to temporary accommodation and I was given three days leave to acclimatize.

THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS SO HARD

On the second day I was walking through the hospital when I saw Pete Dunne. He told me that he had married an Austrian girl and that there would be a flat vacant at his place in two days time. I told the wife and we arranged a day to view the flat. We met Pete at the hospital reception and when to his flat in the Holland Village district of Singapore. Pete’s wife was in the kitchen and stood a couple of feet away from the table and was throwing flour into a bowl. It wasn’t all going in the bowl and the floor and table was covered with a sprinkling of flour. When Pete asked her what she was doing, she said, “ I’ve read the recipe instructions and it said to toss in flour. I then looked up the word toss in the dictionary and it said that to toss was to ‘throw up’ and so I throw the flour up in the air and into the bowl. Isn’t that right?”
Who could blame the girl?
:lol: :lol:

WHAT! NO DOG?

Once install in the flat, we thought it funny that each day, a local Chinese man would walk his pig past our flat, like we would walk our dog.

SIGHTS SOUNDS AND SMELLS

Singapore has two other names, one is ‘Lion City’ given to it by the local people and the other is ‘Garden City’ given by the Europeans. The sights are wonderful. Driving down Orchard Road, you can travel from the present day, back in time to the 1860s with the old kampong villages, made out of bamboo and banana leaf roofs.

The sounds of the city are different to the ear, and one hears a dozen languages being spoken at once. One of the funniest things I noticed is that the Chinese would use English words in the middle of a sentence because in their language they didn’t have words for Hospital, Operation or Taxi.

The aromas of the Island wafted in from all over. The worst smell was a fruit called locally as ‘Passion Fruit’. The fruit smelt like diarrhoea, but once you got passed the smell, the tasted was like strawberries and ice cream. If I came home with one of the fruits, I would have to sit in the garden to eat it, as the wife would not allow it into the house because of the lingering smell it left. The nicest smell for me, came from the Nutmeg tree after a tropical storm.

IT AIN’T HALF HOT MUM

Every morning would start with a fine mist over the island, by 06-00 hours the sun was up and the hot day began. The temperature would sore into the high nineties and soon your nice crisp starched uniform would be stuck to your back like a limp wet dishcloth.

WHO SWITCHED OFF THE LIGHT?

Every evening about 18.45 hours the sun would go down and within minutes it was night time. There didn’t appear to be any dusk, just day and night.

IT’S VELLY CHEAP BOSS!

Every night at 19-00 hours, somewhere on the island would be an out door market. The first thing you learned was not to accept the price the stall owner wanted, but to haggle over the price. That way you would go off with your purchase happy and content at knocking down the price, and the stallholder knew that he’d just received twice as much as what the item was worth.

Among the entire stall was the macan stalls, selling Chinese, Indian, Malay and another hundred type of exotic food. I’m purchase satay on a stick and be given a tin can of curry sauce to take away.

Across the road from the BMH was a restaurant called Pegasus and next door to that was ‘THE SHACK’ The dining side of the Pegasus was spotless, the kitchen, well the least said the better. At the hospital we had more patients with diarrhoea from this one establishment than we had from any other place on the island. The shack was just as it was, a lean too of old timber and sacking, but the cooking wok was red hot and killed most of any bacteria that was in the food. The cook would also wash his hands after serving every meal. Disposable plates in the form of banana leaves were the order of the day and tin cans for teacups.

As you sat at one of the wooden tables and ate your meal, from out of the jungle by the railway line would appear a rat. This jungle rat, and I kid you not, was the size of a very large cat. It would hop onto the table and sit up and beg for food. It was fascinating to watch it take the food given, then holding the food in its front paws it would remain seated and start to eat. Once the food was gone, the rat would clean itself. If it wanted more food it would squeak at you. If you ignored it would move on to the next diner on the table.

ACCOMODATION MOVE

After being in the flat three weeks I was informed that I would be moving into a house at 34 Taman Permater Road, Neesoon. It wasn’t till after we’d moved that we found out that our address was in millionaire row. Our neighbour at 32 was an Indian known as Mister Singh who owned a tea plantation in Malaya. At number 36 was a Chinese gentleman called Mister Chang who owned a shipbuilding company. Both were very nice people. Mister Singh one day asked me if I would like to go on a Tiger hunt. This was the beginning of the ‘Save the Tiger’ campaign. This tiger had turned man-eater and had killed a child in one of the villages. What they were trying to do was to capture the tiger and place it in a zoo, as apposed to shooting it. I was looking forward to the hunt but never made it due to unforeseen duties in HQ Tanglin.

HER LADYSHIP

Jan lived a life of leisure. At 08-00 hours, the day would start with the grocer coming for the days order. He would return later with the goods and so it was with all the other tradesmen. At the end of the month they would come and collect their money and would present you with a gift for using their business.

While I was at work, the ‘Armh’ (Local name for the house made) would do the housework, while Jan took the children out to see the sights or go swimming at the Britannia (Brit club.) or the Union Jack Club

If Jan wanted a new dress, she’d go to the local dressmaker and looking in a catalogue, she would have a dress made by selecting various styles. To the seamstress she’d say, “I want that top, on that skirt, with that neck line and those sleeves.” That would be in the morning. At lunchtime, the seamstress would turn up at the house with the dress for a fitting. At 19-00 hours the seamstress would be back with the dress complete and asking for payment of $15, about £1.80 $1.20 in today’s money. It was exactly the same if I wanted a suit.

I remember when I returned to England I went to Burtons for a suit and was informed that it would take five weeks. When I told him that I could have one made in five hours in Singapore, he didn’t believe me.

Silky, try chinese tailors i could get a full dinner suit made up in only 2 hours and for about a dollar our money

IT’S NOT WHAT YOU SAY, IT’S HOW YOU SAY IT

One day Bob Harrison and I, both being philatelist, went down to Change Alley to purchase some stamps. After getting a good bargain we went for a drink. The bar was dark with only very dim lights on. We sat drinking when the door open and through the blinding light walked five white uniforms. They looked around the room and came over to our table. The one nearest Bob said, “Are you colonials?” Bob answered “Colonials! I’ve give you f***ing colonials.” Standing up he belted the man. Before we knew it we were in front of the Provost major. Who informed Bob and I, that we had set the Anglo-American relations back another hundred and fifty years? We informed the Major that they called us Colonials, to which one of the Americans said “No! we were only asking if you where off the ship, the USS Colonial”. Bob and I being in white jeans and shirts had looked like their uniform in the dim interior lights. The major give us a warning and sent us on our way.

WHAT A QUAINT OLD CUSTOM

Once outside the Military Police station. The Yanks asked us if we knew where there were any English girls so we took them back to the hospital. In the NAAFI I offered to get the first round in, however, one of the Americans insisted that he be the one. Okay said I, and shouted, “Getting a round in” all the people in the NAFFI, about thirty of them got up and came to the bar. I said to the American, “Getting a round, meant everyone in the bar area gets a drink. A round is a circle, and no one is left out of the circle. “It’s an old English custom.” I told him. Once the pints were purchased we all formed a circle, then. Raising our glass we all said “Your very good health sir.” And took a large drink. One of the other sailors said “What a quaint old custom. Can I buy a round?” “Of course you can” said I “it’s an insult not to drink another mans round and we don’t want insult you. Do we?”

MY BROTHERB SILVEST, GOT A ROW OF 40 MEDALS ON HIS CHEST

The following day the same Americans turn up at the hospital looking for me, so I took them home for a drink. They all had a chest full of medal ribbons. My wife asked one of them what they were for. She was informed, “That this one” said one of the lads pointing to a medal ribbon “is for volunteering and not being conscripted. These others are for basic training, for passing basic training, for going into the Atlantic, for being in the Atlantic, for returning from the Atlantic and so it went on. Jan is a woman who doesn’t mince her words and told them that I had been in the army for fourteen years and still only had one medal, and as far as she was concerned, they only had one medal they had that counted, was the Vietnam medal. The others she said “Are just show.”

The third day they turn up at our house to say goodbye, their R and R was over and they were returning to Vietnam. They give all their money to Jan so she could buy something for our children. They went off promising to write but never did. I’ve always thought of them over the years and hoped that they returned home safe and sound to their loved ones.

THIS ROUNDS ON ME

Mike Cairns invited five of us and our wife’s to his anniversary dinner down town. The twelve of us sat down and had a lovely Chinese meal with all the trimmings. As Mike was paying for the meal I said that would pay for the first round of drinks. The round of drinks cost me more that the meal did for Mike. He still ribs me about today.

THE PAIN, OH THE PAIN!

On the 12th of December 1969 I was admitted to the hospital with abdominal pains. If there was any medical test going, I had it. They all turn out negative and so I was discharged on the 15th. The pain totally disappeared at about 07-00 on the morning of the 17th of December I left for work leaving the two girls with the arma. Jan had been admitted to the maternity wing the previous day. When I arrived at the hospital I was told to report to the maternity wing, where I was inform that my wife had given birth to a healthy girl at 07-00 hours that morning. Some folks don’t believe in sympathy pregnancy pains. I do.

I PLEAD GUILTY MY LUD!

On visiting my wife and new daughter, the first question Jan asked was “Did you have a good time down Bugis Street leading the carol singing?”
“Me love!” said I, looking very surprised.
“Yes you.” Said she, holding out a photo of me standing on a table conducting the carol singers. The wife of Dave Williams had been with us and took a photo and give it to Jan. Case closed.
sal; army;

Great story Silky, I always wondered about the medals the Navy wore. After 19 months in combat I got the standard two, the VN Service Medal and the VN Campaign Medal plus the National Defense Service. Funny part is that they never were issued, you had to go to the PX and buy them. I did come home with two Air Medals but could only wear one. I wore the second one issued with 33 Oak Leaf Clusters. I'm glad I never qualified for a Purple Heart.

Missed your story last week, glad your back.

I used to enjoy a night out in Bahrain at the British Club when the US Navy were in port. Bahrain is HQ for the US 6th Fleet and the navy lads I met were (on the whole) all very inexperienced and green behind the ears. We used to get a lot of beers off them and do swappsies of kit. My plastic lighter with a union jack on it for a zippo with the US ship's crest was always a goodie. Thanks John, good memories brought back!

Hi rotorwash.
Yes the Purple Heart is one medal you don't want. When my girls were little the eldest once said "Daddy you were born before WWII started,(I was six months old) so what did you do to get your medals?" I told her that I got my first medal for cutting a germans head off and throwing it in his face. The next day she went into school and told all the kids. Who all went home and asked their fathers if that was how they got their Medals.
:oops: :evil: :D

Oh yes, little kids do carry tales! I'm a teacher, I've found out its better to listen with only half an ear.

I remember my Father putting on medals one evening and I too asked him where he'd got them from. He said very straight faced (Iwas 6 or 7) that he'd won them at Quatre Bras and Waterloo! I believed him! :oops:

Hi Zoro,
perhaps your father was a bit long in the tooth.
Did he serve with Sam, Sam pick up thee musket?
I may put that poem up on the site on day.