Aef

S

sams007fa

Short of going to the 1st Infantry Museum in Cantigny, Illinois, I would like to be able to research (more in depth)the 26th Infantry Regiment of the 1st ID. In particular what would have been the 3d BN (AT THAT TIME) Co. L.

My grandfather fought, and was wounded, in two different engagements, but it is difficult to get any detailed information from any website I've been on, in order to get some detailed information on this particular unit, during their respective campaigns.

WWI unit information (besides the regiment's website-which is excellent- but not much in-depth about WW1 battles involving the AEF) from DA reference material was very helpful.

But any existing diary, recollections, or other recorded material, passed down from ancestors of Doughboys, or friends of soldiers, would be most helpful for me to try to peice this puzzle together.

I did extract some good information about K and M companies, during Meuse-Argonne (hill 272) from a Regimental Commander's lessons learned book.Though, I have not, as yet, been able to get more focus on the regiment throughout its actual combat maneuvers/engagements/battles.

My grandfather died in 1961, in Mize, MS, 2 years before I was born. But, my father gave me his OD Army blanket, his scroll (which most, or all soldiers, who were wounded recieved after the War), and he recieved a Purple Heart in 1945 retroactively, which my father has. My father was in the 8th Air Force (Army Air Corps) during WW2, in England.

I'm now retired from the Army, and I wanted to put that part of my family history, into the whole picture.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to visit the Meuse-Argonne Memorial and Cemetery, the St Mihiel Memorial, the Aisne-Marne Memorial, the Oise-Aisne, Memorial, Chateu-Thierry, and the little village (now) of Exermont, and the Belleau-Wood Battlefield/Cemetery in France, in 2002. This was a moving experience for me, and I will never forget itsal; ever!

Just any information, or contacts at all. I know this thread is very long and drawn out, but I have, short of traveling to Illinois, not been able to really tie things up.bye for now.thank you for enduring this. Samarmy;

Back