Book A Passionate Prodigality

Advisor

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Written by Guy Chapman. Story of his experiences with the Welsh Fusiliers in WWI. I've had is book for almot 50 years & I still read it. How men could live in the trenches I'll never know. Excellent read. Written in 1933.

Blimey mate! (Whoa Dude!) :eek: Mine is a paperback but almost worn out! Not for sale!

Guy Chapman was born in London in 1889. Educated at Oxford University he became a lawyer in 1914. Later that year, on the outbreak of the First World War, Chapman joined the Royal Fusiliers as a junior officer and arrived on the Western Front in August 1915.

After surviving the Battle of Arras in 1917, Chapman was badly affected by a mustard-gas attack. After treatment he returned to the Western Front and was still there when the Armistice was signed in 1918.

Chapman became a university lecturer and eventually became Professor of Modern History at the University of Leeds. He published several books including an account of his wartime experiences, A Passionate Prodigality (1933). He also edited an important collection of prose from the war, Vain Glory (1937). After his death in 1972, his wife, Storm Jameson, edited A Kind of Survivor (1975), a selection of Chapman's autobiographical writings.

Back