On this day 9 June 1866 V.C.

Drone_pilot

Mi General
MI.Net Member
A train carrying ammunition between Quebec and Montreal caught fire near Danville. The truck with the fire was quickly disconnected, but troops and railway staff were in a quandary as to how to deal with it. Seeing the indecision, Private O'Hea of the Rifle Brigade ran to the wagon, opened it and set about fighting the fire. Others then helped him, and the fire was extinguished safely. Most unusually, O'Hea received the Victoria Cross for heroism in a non-combat situation.

Yes very unusual as the VC is only awarded for conduct in the face of the enemy. The George Cross would have been more appropriate. :cool:

Plenty of decorations won by railwaymen in England during the war for moving ammunition trains away from cities during bombing raids and dividing the same trains whilst on fire.
I only mention this because I'm a train driver!

Hey Tosh did you know xena was a tram driver?

tram.png

Light rail - pfff!
Seriously now, whereabouts?

Well it would appear to be Manchester. having read her previous posts. Perhaps she is not far from me or you buddy :mrgreen:

Probably seen her about then, I'm at Manchester Victoria where you know there is a railway/tram interchange