Question? 1942 Merchant Steamer reference info needed

razorboy

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and must jump right in with a plea for help in locating some information. I am a modeller and have planned a shadowbox diorama depicting the sinking of the David H. Atwater by U-552 off of the coast of Virginia in April, 1942. As I am sure most of you know, the Atwater was hit by over 50 of the 90 88mm deck gun shells fired at her before she sunk in 70 feet of water, settling on her port side. All but 3 crew were lost and only 3 dead recovered.
I have a very nice recreation of Topp's boat available in 1/350 scale but cannot find but one picture of the Atwater and here lies the problem. I need a profile line drawing, sketch or photo in order to "Scratch Build" this Steam Merchant. Here is the only picture I have found:
SSDavidHAtwater.jpg

I know that the U-Boat crews would identify ships by their silouettes listed in "Registry Books" either issued by Insurance Companies or other sources. I was wondering if this was true, where might I find access to one in order to gain a better "Profile" picture of this ship?
Your help is greatly appreciated,
Dave "razorboy" Creel

Back