Question? WHAT IS THIS SUBMACHINE GUN???

justvape

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
QUESTION FOR FRIENDS . WHAT SUBMACHINE GUN IS THAT? I MEAN WHAT KEEPS THE 3 FIRST AT THIS PARADE AT CYPRUS BEFORE OF 1974 WAR . THESE MEN ARE VOLUNTEERS IN CYPRUS ARMY
I SEARCH ALL GOOGLE..BUT NOTHING..PLS HELP IF SOMEONE KNOWS ..BUT TRUE

They look like wooden training guns to me. Not (based on) any SMG that I've ever seen.

They had a bizarre mix of guns post war in Cyprus, plus EOKA did a few "home" conversions as well. I've seen such rare pieces as Orița M1941 and United Defense M42 in use post war period in both, Greece and Cyprus.

Last edited:
They had a bizarre mix of guns post war in Cyprus, plus EOKA did a few "home" conversions as well. I've see such rare pieces as Orița M1941 and United Defense M42 in use post war in both, Greece and Cyprus.

Yes, the improvised EOKA weapons were mainly used in the 1950s and early 60s. I wouldn't assume these were still in any significant service in the 70s. Their home built/"upgraded" SMGs from this period were mostly based on the Sten.

The weapons in the picture might be based on the Thompson. The dimensions are off, but I figure it's close enough to get used to handling a real Thompson.

One other candidate was the Beretta, which did not have a pistol grip, but improvised Stens had pistol grips off of spearguns, so something similar could have been done there although I haven't read any accounts of such modification being done.

Back