Other Post U534 type IXC/40 German Submarine / Uboat

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
I went to visit the wreck of the U534 at Birkenhead, England in 2004 and took a few snaps, unfortunately I did not get to see inside for some “Health and Safety” reason. But hope you like the photo and information I have posted. I will attempt to get some usable images of U534 before she was sunk

2u534.jpg

The U534 was a type IXC/40 long range, ocean going submarine (U Boat)
The captain of U534 was Herbert Nollau (26 years old) who whilst resting silently on the seabed just off the coast of Denmark had received orders from Admiral Doentiz to surrender by 0800 hours on 05/05/1945.

On the seabed with U534 were three type XXI submarines. After receiving the orders to surrender all four submarines surfaced and headed towards Norway, none of the Submarines were flying the “surrender” flag.

Intelligence led the RAF coastal command to send a flight of Liberators to intercept the submarines; the liberators belonged to 86 Squadron and began their sortie from Tain in Scotland.

When the Liberators made contact with the submarines the U boats quickly opened fire on them using their anti-aircraft guns. One of the Liberators ‘E’ for Eddy was the first casualty in what was one of the last major engagements of WW2.

The three type XXI submarines quickly submerged leaving U534 alone on the surface and she was attacked by Liberator ‘G’ for George. Liberator ‘G’ dropped depth charges and although most missed their target one of them lodged between on deck just behind the Conning tower, a second attack and the subs was mortally wounded and began to sink slowly allowing 47 of the 52 crew members to jump over board. The remaining five members narrowly escaped the submarine via the torpedo room, they were led by senior submariner Karl Gernhardt. Two members of crew died before be disembarked at the Danish port of Aarhus.

In August 1983 U534 was found by a Danish diver 12 miles North East of the Danish Island of Anholt. As she was not a designated war grave it was legally possible to raise her. On Monday 23 August 1993 she was raised by Dutch salvage company, Smit Tak

U534 Data
Built
– Deutsche Werft in Hamburg
Commissioned - 23/12/1942
Sunk - 05/05/1945 by RAF Coastal Command
Salvaged - 23/08/1993
Group/Base – 33[SUP]rd[/SUP] Flotilla Flensburg
Intended Missions – Attack Convoys and transport vessel to Japan
Actual Mission – Experimenting and testing vessel, Weather reporting station in North Atlantic and transport vessel
Diving depth – 200 metres
Emergency diving speed – 35 seconds
Dimensions – Length 76m, Beam 6.9m
Motors – 2 shafted 9 cylinders diesel electro, 4000/1000 HP
Surface speed – 18.25 Knots
Submerged speed – 7.25 knots
Fuel – 214 tons diesel
Radius of action (surface) – 11400 nautical miles at 12 knots
Radius of action (submerged) – 63 nautical miles at 4 knots
Displacement (surface) – 1144 tons
Displacement (submerged) – 1247 tons

Last edited:
great information

In found this picture that is claimed to have been taken during the attack on U534. The picture was taken by Liberator G

624px-U_534_under_attack_5_May_1945.jpg

Photo puiblic domain via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U_534_under_attack_5_May_1945.jpg

I was going to ask why the subs did not surrender but I have discovered that nobody really knows and it remains a mystery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant photo mate, just what I was looking for.
You have really got the hang of posting the images provenance to well done.

These were items recovered from U534 when it was salvaged

Last edited:
Interesting post bomber. Would be cool to get some inside shots of this sub or one like it so we can get an idea of the living conditions of the crew

Yes that would be great mate, I will have a look around for some usable images.

Here are some more from our galleries

Last edited:
Well while I was searching around the interweb for usable inside pics of the U534 I found out that she had been cut up into 4 sections to allow the public to see inside her hull. Seems that not all thought it was a good idea and some suggested "Corporate Vandalism"

u534-4.jpg

See more about the U534 here http://www.vincelewis.net/u534.html

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Will have to go and see the exhibit at Birkenhead.
the article on the website link you posted suggested that there are only four u boats left in the world, wonder where the other three are located?

Dont like the idea of cutting up a relic like this one but if its unsafe to crawl inside I suppose nobody would ever see it. Also if it helps protect the submarine for future generations to see I on board with the concept.