Photos 'This Weeks Photos thread' & Copyright

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
Well as requested I have created a thread for posting of the weeks photos.
I am told that this is something MP.Net members really liked, so here it is.
Just as a reminder re Copyright, you must ensure that you follow the rules for posting

In brief these are

Only post images you own, are marked as public domain or you have permission to use.
Which ever of the above are relevant you must say so at the start of your post
Also if the images came from a site that states public domain or conditions of use post a link back to them so we can ensure no copyrights are breached.(and because its just plain nice)

Some photos on the net, particularly on Wikipedia have a creative commons licence, this means that although image use is permitted you must follow certain rules specified in the licence. Normally this will be the crediting of the author but can include only posting to non commercial sites or no editing of the images original state.

Looking forward to your posts :cool:

Last edited:
I will create some examples of Creative Commons licences and post them here at a later date.
These should be used for your own work (to protect your rights)
But also to help you understand that permission to use images may mean you have to post certain information when using them

Bomber OUT!

:cool:

Last edited:
We could discuss Copyright, fair use and terms of Use of images for days. It is a complex and often confusing subject.

Some references

Her is an example of the Smithsonian Institutes terms of use.
http://www.si.edu/termsofuse

They allow the use of images and text if it is for fair use, that is to say for educational purposes and non commercial
As we are a non commercial educational site fair use is accepted by us but can be questioned by the owner of the copyright.
This particular term of use requests that the author of the image be credited and a link back to the Smithsonian website.
They also state that their copyright stays on the image.

If you are thinking of creating terms of use to allow the re publication of your images this would be a good starting point for you to create your own terms.
I could create a thread where you can post your terms of use and you could link your images to that thread.

Wikipedia also have some good examples of terms of use that they call 'creative Commons Licences'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

Creative Commons official website https://creativecommons.org/ (here you can choose your specific commons licence)

If you are using photos with specified terms of use you must adhere to the instructions given and post any credit and links with your images, it may also be a good idea to post a link to the 'Terms of use' for Admins, Mods and other members to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit I never thought too much about copyright, I mean people post pictures all over the net , all the time.
How do FB. Twitter, Tumblr and the list goes on get away with it.
I have read over on MP.Net that the site is going down because of Copyright issues (law suits?) but also because the admins are sick of "Take down notices"

I dont know if it is a combination of the two or just because they are sick of taking pics down. Anyway I will pay more attention to this issue now.

Have you ever had any of these issues Bombardier?

I dont think many people ever do but it is important.
Imagine you were a photographer and had posted a low res image that you had taken and were going to use it to make money for your business at a later date. Then you see that a net user has posted it it without any credit and in some case wrongly states its public domain. (It could cost that photographer money)

I also have only recently become more aware of the full impact of copyright albeit I was aware when I set up this site all those years ago.

Yes it is confusing about how and why MP.Net's copyright issues resulted in it demise but we should learn from them and stay on the right side of the law. We should not be frightened of it and should stand strong but we should also ensure we protect the copyright of others and of our own members.

I have had many take down notices and have managed to settle them fairly easily. When I receive one I reply with a standard email stating that we will remove the image however would you consider allowing the use if proper credits are posted with it. Most of the time this is acceptable. Of course an apology for the mis-use goes a long way too.

Normally contacting the admin of a website is the first port of call but I am aware that some webmasters have received a TDN (take down notice) and threats of civil action in court for damages.

It seems that there is no protection for any webmaster in these matters because a TDN can be accompanied by civil action, the taking down of an image does not necessarily remove the civil action possibility. It seems fair to me that a website that allows the sharing of images should be allowed the opportunity to take down the photo before any legal action is possible but I am not sure this is the case at this present time.

Obviously no self respecting webmaster would knowlingly allow breaches of copyright to remain online.

As I said mate a very complex and confusing law that was established well before the internet was created and does not fall in line with the way the Interweb works.

I have to say though that I fully support the intellectual rights of any author of work and will always do my best to assist them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
An interesting article regarding US Copyright law that seems to protect Website owners

The Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act, passed into law in 1998 as part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act provides safe harbour protection to "online service providers" for "online storage" in section 512(c). Section 512(c) applies to online service providers that store copyright infringing material. In addition to the two general requirements that online service providers comply with standard technical measures and remove repeat infringers, section 512(c) also requires that the online service providers: 1) do not receive a financial benefit directly attributable to the infringing activity, 2) are not be aware of the presence of infringing material or know any facts or circumstances that would make infringing material apparent, and 3) upon receiving notice from copyright owners or their agents, act expeditiously to remove the allegedly copyright infringing material.[SUP][2][/SUP]An online service provider can be notified through the copyright owner's written notification of claimed infringement. Section 512(c) list a number of requirements the notification must comply with, including:

• Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material.
  • Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number and email address
  • A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
  • A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.[SUP][3][/SUP]
Provided the notification complies with the requirements of Section 512, the online service provider must expeditiously remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing material, otherwise the provider loses its safe harbour and is exposed to possible liability.

This seems to cover this type of website and is exactly what I would have expected to be the case.
It would be impossible for me as the admin to know the provenance of every image or textual post, so this gives me a buffer zone.

That said you as the poster must follow our rules about posting and ensure you do not breach any copyrights.

Further to the above and as our website is for discussion and educational purposes only any image used could be considered "Fair use" after all we are not offering them for sale or attempting to make money from them.

If you mark an image as "Public Domain" then make sure it is, if it is not and you have marked it so viewers will start to use the image all over the place causing many headaches for the owner of that media.

Here at Mi.Net we accept fair use as above but will always be on the side of the media owner and if they want it taken down and can prove they are the copyright owner, then taken down it will be. before we do so and in the spirit of the law we make sure you are aware first in case the claim is malicious.

Where are the photos:oops:

Well you would need to set one up like this one
https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/photos-18-24-may-2015.5653/#post-18006
using the same title format

since this was suggested we have set up better threads covering many different countries military photos and they can be found here
https://www.militaryimages.net/forums/military-photos-by-country.68/

We are the replacement for militaryphotos so get stuck in we look forward to your contribution

Last edited:
There are no hard and fast rules for posting when I started this thread it focused on copyright and CC licenses however Fair Use is allowed here so do not get too caught up with legislation. If you post an image and a copyright owner requests its removal it will be taken down. They do of course have to prove that it belongs to them.

The 'This Weeks Photo thread' would seem to be a non starter given the way we have set up pur threads but if you want to start one feel free.