Book The world War III fiction books

AAR Galileo

Mi Captain
MI.Net Member
TAARB
From the first (I know about) from General Sir John et John Hackett (The Third World War, 1979 ) to the last I started to read few days ago (Battlefield Ukraine: Book One of the Red Storm Series by James Rosone and Miranda Watson) there is a lot of authors who tried to wrote on this genre (with success or not), some are well known like Tom Clancy (Red Storm Rising), Team Yankee by Harold Coyle, ....

There is two kind of books and writers mainly from USA and UK (if you known some from others country fell free to add to the list ).

The first kind is those who wrote a WW3 novel won by a single guy (usually a submariner) with a fantastic sub that sink the whole soviet fleet with 2 torpedoes. Sometimes it's not a sub but a plane ! well you see that kind of book I mean (wrote by American only).

The second genre is about people, who fight and die in the muddy plains of Germany slaughtered by soviet artillery , .... those books are wrote by English. ;)

There is exception on this binary genre but very rare, one that came in my mind is The Third World War: A Narrative History by Adam Teiichi Yoshida. A long book around 800p.

In the next post I will make review of some of the "good" or series of books (in my opinion) , starting with the 3 highly recommended:

- The Third World War: A Narrative History by Adam Teiichi Yoshida. Not a military guy (canadian) but really nice ideas . The writing need corrections and spell checking.

- Armageddon's Song by Andy Farman. (I had some years ago a discussion with him on an another forum, really nice guy and he know what he wrote about, except on the navy side - it was the talk I had with him)

- The cold war books by Harvey Black. Mr black was an intel officer in the British army.

I add others that are in my personal library in the future. I have to dig in it.

General Sir John Hackett (The Third World War, 1979 ) was one of the best books I have ever read on a possible European War during the Cold War years.

A guy named Harold Coyle also wrote quite a good series on a European War based in the 80's
Team Yankee (1987)
Sword Point (1989)
Bright Star (1990)
Trial by Fire (1992)
The Ten Thousand (1993)

Besides General Sir John Hackett: The Third World War, 1978, there's another serious book on the subject:
World War 3. A Military Projection founded on today's facts. General Editor Shelford Bidwell. First published by Hamlyn Publishing in 1978. ISBN 0 600 39478 6.

Sir John Hackett novel was so so to my taste
Same with Red Storm Rising. Good on some sides but the US hypertech stomping any and every thing was annoying in the end
On the subject you have Arc Light Novel
And Dragon Fire (China, India, Iran vs USA and the rest of the world)
Again, the Merica F*** yeah tone was annoying at one moment or another (especially in the last one)
To my knowledge there are not too much close to realism novels except Team Yankee (but it is easier to write a "realistic" thing at platoon/company level than on strategical level)

Fortunes of War was surprinsingly enjoyable
It's the story of Siberia invasion by Japan stomping decayed russian forces (while still being stubbornly resilient and punching back)
And the fight of a F22 unit sent to help Russia vs the new Japanese Zero high tech fighter

There was also Invasion with Chinese forces invading CONUS after a disastrous operation to relieve Guantanamo
With the POTUS daughter being enlisted in a reserve infantry unit
Not too much MericaFuckYeah until the last pages